*** Ibiza Gossip 2017 ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
My generation (I'm 30) know Oakes fold as a trance DJ gone commercial, what type of stuff did he play on the early ibiza days, the usual acid house that was around the uk?

It's a surprise residency to us all anyway I'm sure,
but if it was pikes who approached him and not the other way about then who can blame him.

younger generation did not even have the chance to listen to proper trance.

My thoughts as well. Count me intrigued...I think it's an interesting chance to take. Not trying to defend Oakie's track record over the last 10-20 years but if ever there were conditions for a musical redemption, this would be it.
20 years?! From 95-99 he was held in the same regard as Solomun etal is today. He may have not been to everyone's taste back then but he has played a massive role in the development of the uk and Ibiza club scene and slot of people on this forum wouldn't have even heard of Ibiza let alone visited the island if it wasn't for him and his colleagues. I agree he sold his soul and is largely irrelevant now but it's not always been that way. Short memories or naivety or ignorance, call it what you will.

Oakie is getting a roasting on here.

I know he is hit or miss but I would still love to see him in Ibiza

His essential Mix from space is my fav mix all time.
Try the lotherton hall mix of the same year.

20 years?! From 95-99 he was held in the same regard as Solomun etal is today. He may have not been to everyone's taste back then but he has played a massive role in the development of the uk and Ibiza club scene and slot of people on this forum wouldn't have even heard of Ibiza let alone visited the island if it wasn't for him and his colleagues. I agree he sold his soul and is largely irrelevant now but it's not always been that way. Short memories or naivety or ignorance, call it what you will.
When he was resident at Cream he pretty much ripped the arse out of the same set every week. It was cheesy enough even back then, but anyone who was lucky enough to spend a few nights in the Courtyard will appreciate the atmosphere in that place was unreal, even if you weren't off your barnet.

When he was resident at Cream he pretty much ripped the arse out of the same set every week. It was cheesy enough even back then, but anyone who was lucky enough to spend a few nights in the Courtyard will appreciate the atmosphere in that place was unreal, even if you weren't off your barnet.
No he didn't. What you heard on essential mixes was very different to what he played week in week out. It certainly wasn't cheese in the first two years, it was groundbreaking and what came next popularised and then killed any notion that trance could be underground. It was good and bad all at the same time for the genre. It made a lot of people very wealthy but didn't do much for the longevity of the sound. The atmosphere in cream was terrific though.

No he didn't. What you heard on essential mixes was very different to what he played week in week out. It certainly wasn't cheese in the first two years, it was groundbreaking and what came next popularised and then killed any notion that trance could be underground. It was good and bad all at the same time for the genre. It made a lot of people very wealthy but didn't do much for the longevity of the sound. The atmosphere in cream was terrific though.
We'll have to agree to disagree on that one i'm afraid.

I lived in Liverpool from 97-02 and went to Cream about twice a month. Some of the Essential Mixes around that time where pretty much what I'd hear in there bar a few tunes

We'll have to agree to disagree on that one i'm afraid.

I lived in Liverpool from 97-02 and went to Cream about twice a month. Some of the Essential Mixes around that time where pretty much what I'd hear in there bar a few tunes
We will mate. Think more global underground than essential mix. What might sound like cheese now certainly wasn't in 1997. And he did much to popularise Ibiza well before then. What he became is another matter altogether. I guess he had a good ear for future business. But it did little for the likes of us.

I'm almost a bit sad to say this, but WIC has a point with the above. in the books of a lot of islanders, me included, pikes has lost a fair bit of its uniqueness when IR started to do so many parties.

it heavily depends on what event you go, but I've been to pikes a few times last season and sometimes I've really not been impressed with the crowd. same thing as always, once a place does a lot of events, does PR on it and turns 'fashion' it attracts the wrong type of people.

that said though, sunday roast has never ever disappointed me and the soundtrack on sundays is normally fantastic. and I need to sacrifice at least one cocoon monday this year to see harvey. decisions, decisions.

don't get me wrong, pikes as a place is as 'ibiza' as it can possibly get, I'm very serious about that, but yeah, the vibe has changed quite a bit in the last 3 years or so.

Have stayed at Pikes on and off since 2000. Agree that some parties can now attract the wrong type of people, but depends on the night.

The Cosmic Pineapple night with Carl Craig last year was a highlight for me, great crowd and really cool vibe. The crowd there for the second Sunday Roast I went for, not as cool and probably a better fit at Linekers.

The best thing for me is staying there. After parties in the room and long silly days beside the pool meeting new people. We had a Friday with Howard Hill playing beside the pool and it beat a night out at any of the big clubs.

ah I'm sure actually staying there is fantastic. as I said, the venue as such really couldn't be more 'balearic' as it is.

This has got me feeling a bit nostalgic. I have an old Perfecto Party Essential Mix tape from the Ku circa 95, must dig it out

a real classic !
That's the baby. Hands down my favourite mix all time. Even tho there is better djs out there I remember sitting at the radio taping this and having to turn the tape over to record the second side lol. Dreaming of Ibiza as 18 year old.

What about when he found the lost island of Goa,rumours has it that he swam out to es vedra and found the secret underwater cave thats only reachable every Super Full Moon, was sucked in and washed up on the lost island of Goa..:)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back