*** Ibiza Gossip 2017 ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oakie is getting a roasting on here.

I know he is hit or miss but I would still love to see him in Ibiza

His essential Mix from space is my fav mix all time.

His djing ability leaves alot to be desired. Ive never had a bad night when hes been on due to his track selections.

Exactly

I can't actually believe how stupid they are.

Everything about oakey since mid-90s has been big stage, proto-EDM, money-driven bullshit. How the hell is that compatible with a cool, intimate party?

Music from the acid house era onwards with guests from that era - Rampling, Holloway, Alfredo etc in an authentic Ibiza setting like pikes... I agree though his music has been shite the last 20 years

Music from the acid house era onwards with guests from that era - Rampling, Holloway, Alfredo etc in an authentic Ibiza setting like pikes... I agree though his music has been shite the last 20 years

My thoughts as well. Count me intrigued...I think it's an interesting chance to take. Not trying to defend Oakie's track record over the last 10-20 years but if ever there were conditions for a musical redemption, this would be it.

I think this pikes oakenfold thing kinda ruins the charm of the place. It's gonna attract a different type of crowd maybe to all the other events as well maybe. I dunno

I think this pikes oakenfold thing kinda ruins the charm of the place. It's gonna attract a different type of crowd maybe to all the other events as well maybe. I dunno

I can see why various nights might want to cash in on "30 years of Ibeefa" but he should've done 88/89 instead

the whole point of going to PIKES is that it offers something different!!! it's supposed to be pitched at a clued up, older-but-still-relevant crowd

As I posted in another thread some months ago, the credit that Pikes is given as this uber-trendy counter-venue which is stark contrast to the superclubs is a little bit of an exaggeration.

Run by Ibiza Rocks, and with a past which is littered with popular culture. I'm not knocking it btw. But it has been built-up to be something which it most definitely isn't on these forums.

I'm almost a bit sad to say this, but WIC has a point with the above. in the books of a lot of islanders, me included, pikes has lost a fair bit of its uniqueness when IR started to do so many parties.

it heavily depends on what event you go, but I've been to pikes a few times last season and sometimes I've really not been impressed with the crowd. same thing as always, once a place does a lot of events, does PR on it and turns 'fashion' it attracts the wrong type of people.

that said though, sunday roast has never ever disappointed me and the soundtrack on sundays is normally fantastic. and I need to sacrifice at least one cocoon monday this year to see harvey. decisions, decisions.

don't get me wrong, pikes as a place is as 'ibiza' as it can possibly get, I'm very serious about that, but yeah, the vibe has changed quite a bit in the last 3 years or so.

OK I wasn't hyping it up as some kind of paradise garage - and am well aware of its limitations (there were some snotty non-music English there last summer who I really wished would disappear) but as a whole I got the impression they do generally put on better/less cheesy DJs than elsewhere in a slightly more intimate vibe, which is what we're after - but my fear is as Nobbie said, putting on megastars like Oakey will just draw even more of the wrong people.. I know it's virtually impossible to keep anything a secret but I still got the sense your casual tourists don't really know about those nights

I think the blessing in disguise will be that Oakey has virtually no traction with the younger generation. I wonder how many kids will even know who he is. So any "undesirables" lets call them, going to Pikes for him are most likely going to be ppl who have been going to the island for a good while anyway.

And if they're coming from the summer of love era, they probably know all about Pikes already.

I think this could still be a good night if they went right back to the Balearic attitude and tunes and left all the perfecto stuff , played-to-death acid house tunes etc alone. People who helped develop that scene in somewhere as Balearic as pikes. But then if you really wanted that I suppose Phil Mison and Balearic Mike amongst others might be better choices these days. Id go anyway if I was on the island.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back