*** Ibiza Gossip 2017 ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
as for Solomun, based on the little I've heard, he strikes me as a poor man's Dixon (although in fairness I haven't seen Dixon for about 7 years)

as for Solomun, based on the little I've heard, he strikes me as a poor man's Dixon (although in fairness I haven't seen Dixon for about 7 years)

Why a poor mans Dixon? Surely there's space for two great artists to co-exist, without lazily trashing one or the other? And though their styles could be considered similar, they occupy completely different creative spaces.

The ascension of Solomun over the past four years has been incredible. He has commanded the development of a night, brand and roster of artists with a consistency that speaks volumes about more than just a great DJ. Every year his stock rises, and he would appear to have all the credentials to maintain it.

My own opinion is we should consider ourselves lucky to be witnessing the rise of one of the great DJ's and creative artists of our time.

Note: There is a painful irony is people saying hes not one of the greats, because he chooses to stay at a mid size club, yet if he were to move to a bigger club he would inevitably be labelled a sell out.

Note: There is a painful irony is people saying hes not one of the greats, because he chooses to stay at a mid size club, yet if he were to move to a bigger club he would inevitably be labelled a sell out.
Not necessarily by the same people. And probably not at 73 euro a pop!

Time will tell if his popularity is maintained and ascended. In Ibiza terms and dj career terms, it's relatively early days.

Why a poor mans Dixon? Surely there's space for two great artists to co-exist, without lazily trashing one or the other? And though their styles could be considered similar, they occupy completely different creative spaces.

The ascension of Solomun over the past four years has been incredible. He has commanded the development of a night, brand and roster of artists with a consistency that speaks volumes about more than just a great DJ. Every year his stock rises, and he would appear to have all the credentials to maintain it.

My own opinion is we should consider ourselves lucky to be witnessing the rise of one of the great DJ's and creative artists of our time.

i purely based my view on a few mixes I heard. I can't comment beyond that. I just think Dixon generally injects more drama/variety into his sets. I draw the comparison because Solomon's tempo and selections are very Innervisions-influenced

Great for NYC. Those djs have sold out venues for over two decades. Solomun has been popular for two or three years. The point is none of us know if he will endure and remain current like those djs. He's the current flavour of the month. Tell me how Keoki is selling out NYC venues at present?

All I'm saying is he's very popular at the moment. Clubs are allowed to charge $70 at the door because people are willing to pay, so Solomun is able to charge a high booking fee. No reason to get mad at Solomun for ticket prices, he really doesn't have that much to do with it anyway. But yea, as you say, if his popularity declines, so will ticket prices. Nothing new there...

Anyway, now that Ultra is over, maybe some more Resistance news comes out.

Actually i think he has a lot to do with ticket prices, if he really wanted to, he could lower his booking fee and these clubs wouldn't charge so much for cover. Just because ppl are willing to pay doesn't mean he has to accept that much

Actually i think he has a lot to do with ticket prices, if he really wanted to, he could lower his booking fee and these clubs wouldn't charge so much for cover. Just because ppl are willing to pay doesn't mean he has to accept that much

Why would anyone who has dedicated their life to being one of the best in the world at what they do, not capitalize when they hit their peak? Dynamic throw multiple free parties through out the year, and he and Dixon both gave their fee to local charities for the gig at BPM that didn't even go ahead.

If you objectively compare the 73 euro to what you pay for any tier one culture event around the world (theatre, premiership football, opera, etc) it is nothing short of incredible value. Which ever way you dress it, you are seeing one of the worlds best in one of the worlds greatest environments, for eight hours of entertainment.

Why would anyone who has dedicated their life to being one of the best in the world at what they do, not capitalize when they hit their peak? Dynamic throw multiple free parties through out the year, and he and Dixon both gave their fee to local charities for the gig at BPM that didn't even go ahead.

If you objectively compare the 73 euro to what you pay for any tier one culture event around the world (theatre, premiership football, opera, etc) it is nothing short of incredible value. Which ever way you dress it, you are seeing one of the worlds best in one of the worlds greatest environments, for eight hours of entertainment.

I was just making a point against Neo's post that absolved Solomun's responsibility in the high ticket prices since some of it is based on his fees. Whether he should or shouldn't is another issue, but making it seem like how the ticket prices are out of his hands is obviously false since he obviously has control over his fees which some of the ticket price/cover is based on.

Of course everyone entitled to opinions, but there is a lot of rubbish being talked on here IMO. Reading this, you'd think that Solomun was some new start-up that landed a deal at Pacha and got lucky. He is about to start his 6th year (if not longer) of residencies on the island (after Sankeys and now Pacha + other mini residencies at Destino etc) and got to where he is today due to building and being part of an amazing label (Diynamic), working his absolute nuts off. +1 is about him (at the absolute top of his game) and another DJ (often AAA+) playing for 8 HOURS in one of the most beautiful and intimate clubs in the World, and practically DJing ON the dancefloor with you - you can bloody touch them if that turns you on. Most nights these days (with exception of say Cocoon and MusicOn) you get a 90 minute set if you're lucky. If you want volume of generic tech-house DJs playing 90 minute sets, then go to Ants or Circo Loco.

Last edited:
I find it strange how often people come on here and get really defensive about some big-name DJ , on account of their environment, their career ambitions, their popularity, their branding, their reputation, their work ethic (their proximity!) - when all the average punter really wants to know is: am I going to gurn my tits off to this music?

I find it strange how often people come on here and get really defensive about some big-name DJ , on account of their environment, their career ambitions, their popularity, their branding, their reputation, their work ethic (their proximity!) - when all the average punter really wants to know is: am I going to gurn my tits off to this music?
Well you don't become a 'Big-Name DJ' without people knowing who you are and becoming popular. What a stupid thing to say, so you think people who go to see Carl Cox for example don't know who he is they just know you can get off your face to his music? Obviously there are people who do but the vast majority will at least know who they are paying to see! Without all the above things you metion these big-djs would not be where they are

I like him, but Solomun isn't even the best DJ on his own label tbh. Great track selection, mostly due to being top dog at Diynamic, but he's not the best at mixing.

I do think he's been fortunate, in that Ibiza needed a new superstar DJ, and he was in the right place at the right time.

But he's not the messiah, not even close.

anyway, back on thread I heard from an extremely reliable source over the weekend that the DJ I most want to hear is back on the island this summer. a case of working ferry or flights around that
go on ??

Yeah like said above they don't decide the exact price but the club will want to make X amount each night so have to charge in accordance to the booking fee the DJ charges. And in all due respect if David Guetta is getting that sort of money Solomon should be classed as a bargain to Pacha!

back to gossip - just confirmed - la troya is heading to heart this year. wednesdays. I actually think this could work out really well

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back