*** Ibiza Gossip 2017 ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree. €73 in peak season for Solomun + 1 i.e. Sven Vath or Dixon etc at Pacha with 3-4 hour set times Vs €40-50 for a generic tech house night (with 1.5 hr sets) somewhere else? No comparison.

Nooo. There's has to be a cut off as to whats acceptable.

The very thought of a 60 euro entrance fee some years back would have been shot down! Just because certain dj(s) is/are gathering such a commercial justification doesn't make it ok to put an entrance fee/ticket price to warrant the popularity! Infuriating.

The very thought of a 60 euro entrance fee some years back would have been shot down! Just because certain dj(s) is/are gathering such a commercial justification doesn't make it ok to put an entrance fee/ticket price to warrant the popularity! Infuriating.

If it was too expensive, tickets wouldn't sell...

Yes there is so much greed in Ibiza - more than ever, but it's pretty easy to avoid it. I just refuse to go to places like Ushuaia and Pacha and pay ridiculous prices for shit music imo

Might be on my own here (and yes ticket prices are a rip off) but going to Ibiza you fully know what to expect with ticket and drink prices..it's why you save up all year to go! Whilst on holiday having that money to spend i couldn't care less if im paying x amount for this ticket but x amount for another!
I agree they know we will pay it so they make it that price...i buy my tickets before hand so then when i get there mu spending money is not taken up by ticket money

If it was too expensive, tickets wouldn't sell...
It's a fine balance with ticket prices. I'm very lucky in that I only go for three or four days and have decent disposable income at my disposal to enjoy the island to its max at present. But Solomun has priced me out at 73 euro. I could afford it but that price is just taking the piss for what the night is. He's clearly seeking to make hay as the sun shines and that's fair enough. But I will remember this when I see him advertised to play at es paradis for 20 Euro in a few years time. I won't be going to that either.

It's a fine balance with ticket prices. I'm very lucky in that I only go for three or four days and have decent disposable income at my disposal to enjoy the island to its max at present. But Solomun has priced me out at 73 euro. I could afford it but that price is just taking the piss for what the night is. He's clearly seeking to make hay as the sun shines and that's fair enough. But I will remember this when I see him advertised to play at es paradis for 20 Euro in a few years time. I won't be going to that either.

I hate to piss on your bonfire, but as much as I agree on the pricing front it is highly unlikely that Solomon will ever be playing for €20 a ticket ever again. Let alone at Es Paradise

I totally agree, he's now graduated to the Premier League alongside the likesof Sasha, Digweed, Cox, etc. I've been raving since the early nineties and his set at Pacha last year was top 5 for me, that good. I'd pay €100 to be honest.

I hate to piss on your bonfire, but as much as I agree on the pricing front it is highly unlikely that Solomon will ever be playing for €20 a ticket ever again. Let alone at Es Paradise
I don't have a bonfire on and I think you miss the point. Some djs manage to remain current. Some don't. Solomun is currently attempting to cash in on his current status as flavour of the month. And that's fine. But if he doesn't retain that currency he will soon find himself slipping down the pay scales. The dj industry is littered with with such characters over the last three decades. Go and take a look. Time will tell. I'd wish him luck but I won't because I think he's taking the piss. And I like his dj style. But I won't be be paying 73 euro even though I am lucky enough to be able to afford when I'm in Ibiza to hear him play with one of his mates.

Last edited by a moderator:
I totally agree, he's now graduated to the Premier League alongside the likesof Sasha, Digweed, Cox, etc. I've been raving since the early nineties and his set at Pacha last year was top 5 for me, that good. I'd pay €100 to be honest.
He's obviously an important dj to you and I like a lot of his sets. Premier league? He maybe currently and he maybe in Ibiza, albeit in a medium size venue. Will be interesting to see if he can maintain premier league status you think he has achieved. In fact it will be interesting to see if he needs to retain that status given his current wage packet. He isn't the world wide draw of the djs you mention yet. He milks the summer in Ibiza and the festival scene. And if I were him I'd do the same! But let's not kid ourselves, he's not selling out the bigger venues in Ibiza on his own and week on week he's not selling out world wide clubs. He's popular right now and has been for two or three years. It's taken the others you mentioned over two decades to maintain premier league status and endure time. Maybe Solomun will. Maybe he won't.

Not sure he is. In Ibiza he certainly is albeit in a medium size venue. Will be interesting to see if he can maintain premier league status you think he has achieved. In fact it will be interesting to see if he needs to retain that status given his current wage packet. He isn't the world wide draw of the djs you mention yet. He milks the summer in Ibiza and the festival scene. And if I were him I'd do the same! But let's not kid ourselves, he's not selling out the bigger venues in Ibiza on his own and week on week he's not selling out world wide clubs.

In New York he is larger than Sasha & Digweed and probably close to Carl Cox. He packs out large venues here that are also used for the EDM superstars. I would actually say him and Carl Cox are the two biggest "underground" draws for the last year or so.

In New York he is larger than Sasha & Digweed and probably close to Carl Cox. He packs out large venues here that are also used for the EDM superstars. I would actually say him and Carl Cox are the two biggest "underground" draws for the last year or so.
Great for NYC. Those djs have sold out venues for over two decades. Solomun has been popular for two or three years. The point is none of us know if he will endure and remain current like those djs. He's the current flavour of the month. Tell me how Keoki is selling out NYC venues at present?

lbs - while I do think you can't put solomun on digweed/sasha/coxy scale simply because of 'years of experience', I'm still with neo, grassman and perrylgooner here. I also think solomun really is one of the premier league artists right now and I for one can't see him going away anytime soon. not for ibiza and neither for anywhere else. in ibiza he had offers from just about every big club (that much gossip I can give you) and on a worldwide scale he does fill huge venues (anyone put up that video from that undercatt tune he played in south america).

I'm curious though, why do you think he might be 'gone' in a year or two? (at least that's what I'm reading between the lines)

lbs - while I do think you can't put solomun on digweed/sasha/coxy scale simply because of 'years of experience', I'm still with neo, grassman and perrylgooner here. I also think solomun really is one of the premier league artists right now and I for one can't see him going away anytime soon. not for ibiza and neither for anywhere else. in ibiza he had offers from just about every big club (that much gossip I can give you) and on a worldwide scale he does fill huge venues (anyone put up that video from that undercatt tune he played in south america).

I'm curious though, why do you think he might be 'gone' in a year or two? (at least that's what I'm reading between the lines)
That's the point, right now. Oakenfold, judge jules, Mark spoon, taucher, Sanchez, morales, numerous garage djs, et al were right now and many of them endured for many years. Now where are they?

Solomun is a great current dj imo. He's held a residency in Ibiza for what, a couple of years?

I didn't say he would be gone in a year or two. You are putting words in my mouth. I said it will be interesting to see if he endures and remains current. Tongue firmly in cheek I said I'd look forward to seeing him advertised as playing in es paradis in a few years time. The comment is based sarcastically enjoying his fall from 73 euro a night grace and on the thought he could fall by the wayside like a number of other flavour of the month djs who find themselves struggling to get booked.

Ibiza is like what Hollywood is to the movie scene- if you make it there, you've made it in the whole industry, since Ibiza like H-Town arguably still determines the flow of the industry.

Because of this and Solzberg's huge popularity on the isle, it means he's a force in the whole scene and can automatically contend with the greats like Cox, Digweed and Sasha. Like you don't need so many years of becoming infamous in other scenes if you can lock down the Ibiza scene. It kinda sucks, but he does play good so this is warrented. Like maybe some of it is due to the Ibiza hype machine and marketing, but i think he is legit...

That's the point, right now. Oakenfold, judge jules, Mark spoon, taucher, Sanchez, morales, numerous garage djs, et al were right now and many of them endured for many years. Now where are they?

Mark Spoon is alas no longer with us...

as for the rest on that list, all yesterday's men

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back