Ibiza 2022 impressions

The island's population has DOUBLED (!!) in 25 years. How is this sustainable?
Its the way of things. Relatives of mine (from the UK) have just moved to the island permanently... retired at 55. No kids. Real estate agents so a few properties accumulated. I'm jealous. Who wouldn't be?
In Australia we have a place called Byron Bay, beautiful, hippy vibe, used to be real easy to buy pot. Used to be my most visited place when I first came out. Now Thor lives there, you can't buy pot and its so expensive the shops have to provide accommodation for their workers as its unaffordable for them.
And in 25 years the population in Ibiza will have doubled again, profits will be made and the things that made the place fun in the first place will have moved on.
Ach just ignore me... I'm just bitter Sankeys Soap got turned into goddam apartments.

Its the way of things. Relatives of mine (from the UK) have just moved to the island permanently... retired at 55. No kids. Real estate agents so a few properties accumulated. I'm jealous. Who wouldn't be?
In Australia we have a place called Byron Bay, beautiful, hippy vibe, used to be real easy to buy pot. Used to be my most visited place when I first came out. Now Thor lives there, you can't buy pot and its so expensive the shops have to provide accommodation for their workers as its unaffordable for them.
And in 25 years the population in Ibiza will have doubled again, profits will be made and the things that made the place fun in the first place will have moved on.
Ach just ignore me... I'm just bitter Sankeys Soap got turned into goddam apartments.
Byron Bay, I listen to a DJ called Mister Bennetts on Soundcloud and he regularly plays there. Great sets!

Isn't it the case every other year?
Absolutely NO...... The same holidays in 2021 was 50% cheaper... House rent and Appart-hotel prices are crazy.
Clubbing prices are the same since few years. Do you remember Circoloco when you could buy an entry at 10€ at the start of 2000

:p
:spank:

The sea is still very warm, if a softie like me finds it warm then it has to be above 25, maybe 26c! Admittedly in a shallow sheltered bay, the one next to Roca Bella, and mid afternoon with the sun beating down, but still remarkable for October.

Also...no mozzie bites, although a feral cat 😺 had a go to make up!

Bar Luzz opened after 11pm, was busy it being Saturday so maybe quieter during the week.

So far so good, hot, ☀️🌞 and lots of 🍻. Wonder if Truss (UK new PM) is still in a job?

Feck. After my last post went down quickly with covid.
Had a sore throat when I came out, thought nowt of it, then deteriorated into swollen glands, headaches, sweating/shivering, phglem by the bucketload and (look away) black poo.
Worst of it was 18-24 hrs, lost a night's sleep but made up for it today.
Ate very little, lost my appetite and food tastes shit anyway...but feeling a ton better now and see if some red helps tonight!
As long as it doesn't return then considering the hell folks have been through, losing 2 days max from seven is sod all.
Tips for covid - if you are coming here then bring essentials with you eg. Paracetamol, ibuprofen, cough sweets like Halls super-strong, throat medicine if you can.
Those aren't easy to get here and I didn't feel like going out for them!
Just need my appetite and taste back now!

Just add to the posts above r/e pricing in Ibiza, here in Formentera the prices for cafe and restaurant food are now eyewatering. Yet people still buy, but there's little cheaper alternative, maybe the bars where the locals are in the two towns?
But generally I think more will come off season to save that way, but one poster is right, on the Spanish mainland you can get good rooms, food, beer etc for a third of Ibiza. And open more-or-less all year.
That's my next trip!
If folks haven't the money they won't come, so Ibiza will have to adjust. Remember when most hotels were hostals, now ****** boutique? Soon to be empty?

I don't see ibiza empty before long time... Here in Portinatx, the most expensive hotel is still the busiest at the moment , from what said my friends who work there.

Last edited:
I don't see ibiza empty before long time... Here in Portinatx, the most expensive hotel is still the busiest at the moment , from what said my friends who work there.
Rooms will have been booked possibly over 6 months ago, before the cost of living crisis hits. Wonder what the hotel prices will be for 23 and if much higher, room take up rates?

Just add to the posts above r/e pricing in Ibiza, here in Formentera the prices for cafe and restaurant food are now eyewatering. Yet people still buy, but there's little cheaper alternative, maybe the bars where the locals are in the two towns?
But generally I think more will come off season to save that way, but one poster is right, on the Spanish mainland you can get good rooms, food, beer etc for a third of Ibiza. And open more-or-less all year.
That's my next trip!
If folks haven't the money they won't come, so Ibiza will have to adjust. Remember when most hotels were hostals, now ****** boutique? Soon to be empty?

Been in Valencia for a few days and have to admit the cheaper costs did get me thinking...know its not a like for like comparison as Ibiza's clubbing is unrivaled but for just sitting in the sun and having a drink and a chill Ibiza is getting increasingly expensive.

Been in Valencia for a few days and have to admit the cheaper costs did get me thinking...know its not a like for like comparison as Ibiza's clubbing is unrivaled but for just sitting in the sun and having a drink and a chill Ibiza is getting increasingly expensive.
Could be a choice of a week in Ibiza or two somewhere else. Ibiza wins...for now. What happens if, say, the Costas open Ibiza style clubs? Torremolinos and Sitges have gay scene every bit as good as Ibiza (better??), and for fossils like me who love quiet, Menorca fills most of the boxes.

Feck. After my last post went down quickly with covid.
Had a sore throat when I came out, thought nowt of it, then deteriorated into swollen glands, headaches, sweating/shivering, phglem by the bucketload and (look away) black poo.
Worst of it was 18-24 hrs, lost a night's sleep but made up for it today.
Ate very little, lost my appetite and food tastes shit anyway...but feeling a ton better now and see if some red helps tonight!
As long as it doesn't return then considering the hell folks have been through, losing 2 days max from seven is sod all.
Tips for covid - if you are coming here then bring essentials with you eg. Paracetamol, ibuprofen, cough sweets like Halls super-strong, throat medicine if you can.
Those aren't easy to get here and I didn't feel like going out for them!
Just need my appetite and taste back now!
Quick update, writing this from bed which is way too early but hey. Just ate half a processed ham + tomato baguette, didn't want to go to bed again on an empty tummy.
Best H+T sandwich ever, I could taste it!
Hopefully I can rescue two full days and have some late fun.
Bought a bottle of red tonight at Sa Roqueta but only managed 1/3 - 1/2, it's now in the fridge.
On the positive side probably dropped a size, yay!!
Night all, c u tomorrow.

Quick update, writing this from bed which is way too early but hey. Just ate half a processed ham + tomato baguette, didn't want to go to bed again on an empty tummy.
Best H+T sandwich ever, I could taste it!
Hopefully I can rescue two full days and have some late fun.
Bought a bottle of red tonight at Sa Roqueta but only managed 1/3 - 1/2, it's now in the fridge.
On the positive side probably dropped a size, yay!!
Night all, c u tomorrow.
Hope you get some rest and are feeling better soon! Nothing worse than being poorly on holidays!

Been in Valencia for a few days and have to admit the cheaper costs did get me thinking
Fun can be had in these places.... My first clubbing experience was in Seville 1995. There were 2 clubs in town. After leaving the gay club and going to the other (straight) one my pill really kicked in. The DJ would play traditional Spanish songs and alternate it with tracks like Josh Winks "Higher state of consciousness". I was bouncing off the ceiling and the local matador males were not impressed with this bampot jock and would bounce me with their hips and give stern looks. During the Spanish melodies I'd go back to the group and announce that the effect was gone and never coming back... only for the pumping choons to turn me into a jumping bean again until 6am. The most amazing up and down night ever.
But back to the point that Ibiza is becoming expensive.. it will continue... sadly. There comes a time when overcrowded places deliberately do this. Most of Asia is trying to dump noisy backpackers and attract the quieter cashed up elderly.
chill Ibiza is getting increasingly expensive.

Ibiza seems to have an extra problem with increasing VIP too - WIC mentioned that Tox was run this year by Americans who didn't really want "our type" (maybe my type) - and wanted people buying tables and crap champagne with sparklers on it. I've seen this up close in the USA and it must be resisted. Americans - feeling rich on the strength of their $ - are looking at Ibiza and thinking that people aren't paying enough for clubbing and they need to pay more. Just like Sky/Fox took away premier league soccer off the BBC because they saw that people would pay more... all under the umbrella of supposedly making things more classy. HI and Ushaiaia look similar to clone USA EDM festivals which look like my idea of boredom but they seem to be making stacks of cash. They get stronger while poor old Eden and Amnesia get weaker....
I'm on Reddit a bit and the Ibiza forum is stacked with Americans wanting to come to Ibiza and local Ibiza facilitators encouraging them and saying what good tippers they are etc.
Just my take - I'm an Ibiza noob but know how corporate money works.
They turned my Sankeys Soap and Hacienda into apartments FFS!

Last edited:
Fun can be had in these places.... My first clubbing experience was in Seville 1995. There were 2 clubs in town. After leaving the gay club and going to the other (straight) one my pill really kicked in. The DJ would play traditional Spanish songs and alternate it with tracks like Josh Winks "Higher state of consciousness". I was bouncing off the ceiling and the local matador males were not impressed with this bampot jock and would bounce me with their hips and give stern looks. During the Spanish melodies I'd go back to the group and announce that the effect was gone and never coming back... only for the pumping choons to turn me into a jumping bean again until 6am. The most amazing up and down night ever.
But back to the point that Ibiza is becoming expensive.. it will continue... sadly. There comes a time when overcrowded places deliberately do this. Most of Asia is trying to dump noisy backpackers and attract the quieter cashed up elderly.

Ibiza seems to have an extra problem with increasing VIP too - WIC mentioned that Tox was run this year by Americans who didn't really want "our type" (maybe my type) - and wanted people buying tables and crap champagne with sparklers on it. I've seen this up close in the USA and it must be resisted. Americans - feeling rich on the strength of their $ - are looking at Ibiza and thinking that people aren't paying enough for clubbing and they need to pay more. Just like Sky/Fox took away premier league soccer off the BBC because they saw that people would pay more... all under the umbrella of supposedly making things more classy. HI and Ushaiaia look similar to clone USA EDM festivals which look like my idea of boredom but they seem to be making stacks of cash. They get stronger while poor old Eden and Amnesia get weaker....
I'm on Reddit a bit and the Ibiza forum is stacked with Americans wanting to come to Ibiza and local Ibiza facilitators encouraging them and saying what good tippers they are etc.
Just my take - I'm an Ibiza noob but know how corporate money works.
They turned my Sankeys Soap and Hacienda into apartments FFS!

Good point on the strength of the Dollar, we may see an influx of Americans next summer!

Could be a choice of a week in Ibiza or two somewhere else. Ibiza wins...for now. What happens if, say, the Costas open Ibiza style clubs? Torremolinos and Sitges have gay scene every bit as good as Ibiza (better??), and for fossils like me who love quiet, Menorca fills most of the boxes.

As for Sitges - definately better (but no nice clubs and not as nice beaches)
Torremolinos - worse than Ibiza (plus the water is too cold). I was there a few years ago and didnt feel very international to me . Got the impression it was mostly domestic tourists.

Back