Ibiza '08 - highs/lows

my main hatred of Space wasn't based on musical genres though. It was the venue itself and the retards in there. The one room I DID briefly like at Space "EL Salon" wasn't playing detroit OR deep house, it was actually more balearic/disco for the 30mins of the night I did enjoy - but the sound police had determined that the sound would be set so low as to be meaningless - and the poor DJ on after Alfredo just shrugged sympathetically when we asked him to turn it up. Probably fearful he would carted off to the local guardia civil detention centre otherwise..

but the guy after HIM, Novy? decided it would be a really good idea to play a load of euro kak, and so we were subjected to seminal moments like snap - rhythm is a dancer, which a hen party from West London (one of whom knew someone from my a-level days at the same college :eek: ) decided to sing along to IN ITS ENTIRETY in their most raucous voices. The best bit was when one of the girls said to me "this is my favourite room - it's all happy house here, tunes you can sing along to, yer know", and with that, my brief fondness for El Salon died...

Tom Novy is the biggest pile of **** going at We Love....

Turd.

am pretty sure it was the salon, because you had to walk up a further flight of steps to get to the terrace, where a lot of people were chilling and the DJ was in the middle of the room :confused: The DJ in what I think was the salon was on the far wall as you walked in with the bar on the right

I was mangled and this was 6 weeks ago so my club geography ain't gonna be that hot... :rolleyes:

Ok folks, give the guy a break. First time at Space, he hasn't learned the geography. It's not that easy anymore either since they now have 34 different zones!

Olly - When you enter the club, to your left is the Sunset Terrace, to your right is the main (enclosed) Terrace, and straight ahead is the Discoteca. If you enter the main terrace and head all the way to the back, up 4 stairs and out the door, there's the Salon. If you're inside the Discoteca and climb some stairs, you pass by the Red Room and then reach the Premiere Etage, which is like a rooftop chill out terrace place.

...and that night Tom Novy played the Terraza for a change (I think it was about 9-11). And he was a welcome relief from the monotonous stuff churned out by the others playing the Terraza either side of him!

i can't believe some of the reactions to olly's original post - freedom of speech peeps!

olly, "I suspect the moderators took their cue from the old authoritarian BBC board, which was widely reviled by internet geeks the world over, to the point where the worldwide forum actually set up a breakaway splinter messageboard - 1000s of posters migrating overnight in 2005"

no. we'd just rather not have a youtube style comment system where racism, aggression, swearing and homophobia is the norm.

a bit of semi-heated discussion is great - but not to the extent where people who have never posted here, daren't do so, because of the fear of getting some of the replies you have.

very thought-provoking thread anyway!! ;)

and i agree with a lot of what you say - i don't like a lot of the music (but i came here years ago when happy/balearic was all they played - i was scarred for life), i hate the pricing as well, especially for drinks. it's bad enough for me in euros - everyone from the uk now has to pay 30% more than last year because of the exchange rate - my sympathies! but instead of reacting to this positively most businesses have UPPED their prices - EH??

it just means you have to pick and choose. underground is wicked - yes you still pay 10 euros for beer, but it's free to get in. bora bora is still a favourite of mine and a pint costs 6 euros. sunsets will always be beautiful - as you say, highs and lows ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
a lot of valid points you make, which I won't dwell on

my only bone of contention is the swearing ban

me saying "x is a 'james blunt' for buying tiesto records" is a perfectly valid opinon

whereas

me saying 'x is a dirty Turkish 'james blunt' for etc etc' would be bang out of order

if people can't tell the difference between earthy English humour and downright nastiness - then that's not very intelligent really...and is more a reflection on their own hyper-sensitivity than the actual poster (imo)

it's a clubbing forum - there's no shrinking violets or innocents in this game - we're all adults and have seen a few dark things in our lives - that's the nature of the beast. Going all Mary Whitehouse does in that light, seem a bit unnecessary... :confused:

there is alot of anti english snobbery on this forum and a huge amount of over sensitivity :!:

vibe(s)

am pretty sure it was the salon, because you had to walk up a further flight of steps to get to the terrace, where a lot of people were chilling and the DJ was in the middle of the room :confused: The DJ in what I think was the salon was on the far wall as you walked in with the bar on the right

I was mangled and this was 6 weeks ago so my club geography ain't gonna be that hot... :rolleyes:

I think, all in all, u came at least 1 year too late to the White Island...u did not experience the "real" (day) parties...they are gone....:spank:...and with them the very special vibes...especially @ dc10....Iàm really lucky, I experienced this very deep and special (clubbing) moments in the past...they were unique :p...although I guess there are still some good nights out there...ie. some Monza, Cocoon (Terrace) nights...but this year I decided not to go to Ibiza...the reasons u know...;)
but I still hope dc10 will survive...somehow...;):p

there is alot of anti english snobbery on this forum and a huge amount of over sensitivity :!:
Are you joking? The majority of regular posters in the English-language forum are British. Unless you're talking about the Scottish crew looking down upon the English :lol:

Olly said:
if people can't tell the difference between earthy English humour and downright nastiness - then that's not very intelligent really...and is more a reflection on their own hyper-sensitivity than the actual poster (imo)
You're off base here.

British humor often tends to be quite ascerbic, sometimes downright nasty. If you're not from the UK, no matter how "intelligent" you are, it takes some getting used to.

Also, keep in mind that we have some people on here for which English is not their first language. Nuances can get lost.

I've been posting here long enough (and traveling to the UK more over the past few years) such that I'm now more or less desensitized. But that's taken some adjustment.

It's not hypersensitivity... it's differences in culture, which you, as an intelligent individual, should take into account.

I would also like to point out that certain indivuduals are racist towards Irish people too (im not aiming that at you in case your wondering)

Are you joking? The majority of regular posters in the English-language forum are British. Unless you're talking about the Scottish crew looking down upon the English :lol:

You're off base here.

British humor often tends to be quite ascerbic, sometimes downright nasty. If you're not from the UK, no matter how "intelligent" you are, it takes some getting used to.

Also, keep in mind that we have some people on here for which English is not their first language. Nuances can get lost.

I've been posting here long enough (and traveling to the UK more over the past few years) such that I'm now more or less desensitized. But that's taken some adjustment.

It's not hypersensitivity... it's differences in culture, which you, as an intelligent individual, should take into account.

the spanish used to do my head in when I was living in Barca - paticularly humourless when the joke's on them - I also used to get all this "Eh! No te pasas!!" ("you're pushing it") just for jocularly questioning Aznar's sexuality - jesus :rolleyes: imagine, I started discussing horse-fisting with them or something - I'd probably get carted off to the comisaria.. I think any humour that doesn't involve silly voices or benny hill escapades is totally beyond them

Last edited by a moderator:
the spanish used to do my head in when I was living in Barca - paticularly humourless when the joke's on them - I also used to get all this "Eh! No te pasas!!" ("you're pushing it") just for jocularly questioning Aznar's sexuality - jesus :rolleyes: imagine, I started discussing horse-fisting with them or something - I'd probably get carted off to the comisaria.. I think any humour that doesn't involve silly voices or benny hill escapades is totally beyond them
Now Olly are you Spanish or Catalan?

No. I have been attacked and pigeon holed on here for being a 'brit' many a time.

Spotlight is a pit of wannabe english haters :arrow:

Back