Ibiza '08 - highs/lows

1/2 english 1/2 catalan

anyone else on here?

Just out of curiosity do you like football? what country would you support?
(My folks are spanish but i was born in London. I support spain though)

Regarding your view on Space, like I said earlier, we just come from different angles.
The terrace has always been on the cheesier side, some times worse than others, don't think people will want that to change. Specially since many see it as one of the few places where they still play that type of music in Ibiza.

Barca all the way :twisted:

cdn't care less about any "national" sides

re: Space - said my bit, really - but lest anyone be in doubt, ( :lol: ) if I was still 18 and at the peak of my cheese years, I probably would have loved it, but now, it represents everything I hate in club culture - and massively reminded me of the ministry

even if the music had been top drawer, I STILL would have hated it - the layout, the size, the hen parties from Surbiton, the relentless promotion, the sheer ruthless capitalism around it - and any club that treats its customers like cattle can do one, imo.

Spotlight is a pit of wannabe english haters :arrow:
I actually prefer Brits over most of the rest of the european people! 8)

re: Space - said my bit, really - but lest anyone be in doubt, ( :lol: ) if I was still 18 and at the peak of my cheese years, I probably would have loved it, but now, it represents everything I hate in club culture - and massively reminded me of the ministry
What are you yanking about - the sunset terrace IS the place to be at Space and has been like that for many years.
The best atmosphere is when the sun goes down (8PM onwards) and up until midnight when the music stops!
Any Ibiza veteran knows that as a fact, and it isn't even a question of music taste!

Too bad that 99% of your posts here ooze ignorance and lack of knowledge about the island and its clubs as a whole, which simply derives from the fact that you've been to Ibiza only once (and i ain't patronizing here) and already developed some sort of huge negativity towards it.

I don't give a rat's arse about the fact that your posts here are controvertial and it may attract high 'ratings'. You simply need to get your facts sorted out before you spill the beans here.

Last edited by a moderator:
am pretty sure it was the salon, because you had to walk up a further flight of steps to get to the terrace

That area is the Sunset Terrace

Where a lot of people were chilling and the DJ was in the middle of the room :confused: The DJ in what I think was the salon was on the far wall as you walked in with the bar on the right

Thats called the Premier Etage

Olly, it sounds like you really tried not to have fun during your stay @ Ibiza, Ibiza is all about going with the flow, enjoying the moment, there is potential to enjoy everywhere if the mood strikes you right.

To evidence, parties like Matinee, local DJs only, reading the crowd and providing peak moments, DC10 which gathers all of the island on Monday to one crazy after party, Subliminal @ Pacha on Wednesdays, Carl Cox's night with many guest DJs and eclectic genres, sounds like you missed out on all the best stuff...

With all due respect, your review should be addressed so seriously if you haven't had the chance to evaluate these parties.

amazing how people keep wilfully misrepresenting what I said and putting words into my mouth here...

I simply commented on one night I had at Space and if people can't handle a critical voice, then that really is THEIR problem - I've made no comment at any point on any club I haven't been to. People getting so precious about Space totally baffles me, because it is a very, very average, overpriced, oversized nightclub. Planes go overhead. WOW! :rolleyes: It has a terrace! WOW! If that's the extent of your clubbing ambitions in life, then you clearly haven't lived...

I actually made some positive comments on the zoo project, but hey, who wants to read them?

I actually prefer Brits over most of the rest of the european people!

....and I get accused of generalising... :rolleyes: I'll bet you're one of those "spain would be fine if it wasn't for all the dagos!" Daily Heil readers...

amazing how people keep wilfully misrepresenting what I said and putting words into my mouth here...

I simply commented on one night I had at Space and if people can't handle a critical voice, then that really is THEIR problem - I've made no comment at any point on any club I haven't been to. People getting so precious about Space totally baffles me, because it is a very, very average, overpriced, oversized nightclub. Planes go overhead. WOW! :rolleyes: It has a terrace! WOW! If that's the extent of your clubbing ambitions in life, then you clearly haven't lived...

I actually made some positive comments on the zoo project, but hey, who wants to read them?

....and I get accused of generalising... :rolleyes: I'll bet you're one of those "spain would be fine if it wasn't for all the dagos!" Daily Heil readers...

well said dude :arrow:

Barca all the way :twisted:

About the only thing we'll agree on :lol:

Come on mate, you knew you'd get this reaction from people, this is an Ibiza website after all and space is the most iconic club in the island. if you went to a Liverpool forum and slated Gerrard you'd get exactly the same reaction.

Regarding your last post.. again most of it is subjective and can be argued.. however calling Space average? Isn't it meant to be the DJ's dream gig?
I really have missed out all my clubbing life if you go to better venues on a regular basis.. Any in london / uk you'd say are better?

I came on this forum in part to see if anyone shared my snapshot view of the island and also to distract myself during a particularly high-stress fortnight at work, which has thankfully now closed. I was (accurately) warned in advance this place would be crawling with the trance/prog/cheese milita and people with a real mixmag mentality (fair nuff) - but had no idea just how defensive people would get about totally anonymous businesses that are routinely creaming them of hundreds (thousands?) of pounds each summer. Obviously, each to their own - I delight in raging about music I dislike and hurling inconsequential abuse at anonymous names on a computer screen - but it's never personal despite the near-hysterical tones ;)

It hasn't been a total waste of time - it's been an illuminating discussion and beneath the bile, have exchanged a few positive PMs with quite a few folk. I've seen some decent nights billed, I might chase up and in the case of Stu Hirst heard one of my fave mixes of the year. Who knows, I might even return to the island..

Anyway, it's prob time for the mods to lock this thread, which has, in truth, run out of gas...

Cheers/Peace :D

I came on this forum in part to see if anyone shared my snapshot view of the island and also to distract myself during a particularly high-stress fortnight at work, which has thankfully now closed. I was (accurately) warned in advance this place would be crawling with the trance/prog/cheese milita and people with a real mixmag mentality (fair nuff) - but had no idea just how defensive people would get about totally anonymous businesses that are routinely creaming them of hundreds (thousands?) of pounds each summer. Obviously, each to their own - I delight in raging about music I dislike and hurling inconsequential abuse at anonymous names on a computer screen - but it's never personal despite the near-hysterical tones ;)

It hasn't been a total waste of time - it's been an illuminating discussion and beneath the bile, have exchanged a few positive PMs with quite a few folk. I've seen some decent nights billed, I might chase up and in the case of Stu Hirst heard one of my fave mixes of the year. Who knows, I might even return to the island..

Anyway, it's prob time for the mods to lock this thread, which has, in truth, run out of gas...

Cheers/Peace :D
Ego.
Control.
The lights dim, and the curtains close......

OMG that Olly guy said something bad about Ibiza

funkin, god help anyone who does not agree with the gang.

the lad felt space was cold, corporate etc. I agree. whats wrong with expressing that opinion?

it gets more expensive on the island each year, clubs are being closed & there are coppers everywhere sticking their hands up peoples asse s. Oh, and something to do with opening hours.

people who explain that these things create a lesser environment are imho correct. it's not about not being able to cope with change. it's a worse environment, end of. That's in my opinion. If you disagree lets have a debate, explain to me why it is just 'change'
and how I should 'adapt' without affecting my experience.

why can we not get past emotive defence of places like space and 'adapting to change' - usually centering on 'you dont get the vibe' or 'you have not been here enough' (and some responsees sorry sound like tools...'any ibiza veteran'..please) & have a conversation about what the weaknesses are?

Or are not.

Who is to say, but don't kill someone for not thinking it is all brilliant out there.

funkin, god help anyone who does not agree with the gang.

the lad felt space was cold, corporate etc. I agree. whats wrong with expressing that opinion?

it gets more expensive on the island each year, clubs are being closed & there are coppers everywhere sticking their hands up peoples asse s. Oh, and something to do with opening hours.

people who explain that these things create a lesser environment are imho correct. it's not about not being able to cope with change. it's a worse environment, end of. That's in my opinion. If you disagree lets have a debate, explain to me why it is just 'change'
and how I should 'adapt' without affecting my experience.

why can we not get past emotive defence of places like space and 'adapting to change' - usually centering on 'you dont get the vibe' or 'you have not been here enough' (and some responsees sorry sound like tools...'any ibiza veteran'..please) & have a conversation about what the weaknesses are?

Or are not.

Who is to say, but don't kill someone for not thinking it is all brilliant out there.

At the end of the day if we all had the same opinion life would be boring, you and some others obviously don't like or have grown out of Ibiza, so the simple answer is don't go anymore.

It doesn't mean the people who still love the island have any less valid points, that's why we debate. But this thread is getting so funkin tiresome. :rolleyes:

I actually prefer Brits over most of the rest of the european people! 8)

What are you yanking about - the sunset terrace IS the place to be at Space and has been like that for many years.
The best atmosphere is when the sun goes down (8PM onwards) and up until midnight when the music stops!
Any Ibiza veteran knows that as a fact, and it isn't even a question of music taste!

Too bad that 99% of your posts here ooze ignorance and lack of knowledge about the island and its clubs as a whole, which simply derives from the fact that you've been to Ibiza only once (and i ain't patronizing here) and already developed some sort of huge negativity towards it.

I don't give a rat's arse about the fact that your posts here are controvertial and it may attract high 'ratings'. You simply need to get your facts sorted out before you spill the beans here.

I've been going to Ibiza since 2001 and have to disagree there. It is a question of taste, the sunset terrace, IMO, plays unbearable cheese.

I was on holiday with Olly and see where he's coming from with quite a few of his points.

Still had an amazing time though due to the company, the Eden backroom being good surprisingly, the Zoo Project, Privilege after the Zoo Project, Underground, exploring the island, checking out new restaurants, para gliding...

Space wasn't particularly good but I did get in free so not too fussed, I'd have been pretty annoyed if I had to pay though.

The tone and general vibe of this forum as a whole compared to 2 years back has vastly changed and so have the negative comments about the island , have slowly increased it as well. I do not think it is a coincidence.
Will i return next year? maybe but i go in there knowing the golden age has past me by. Its more like visiting an old friend, you will appreciate you cant relive the past but you still want it to be a part of your life to some degree.
It is still one of the few places in the sun in europe where anything goes and although alot has been done to kill this spirit through utter human greed there is still something to enjoyed, i guess you just have to look harder now, thats what my plan is next time.

The tone and general vibe of this forum as a whole compared to 2 years back has vastly changed and so have the negative comments about the island , have slowly increased it as well. I do not think it is a coincidence.
Will i return next year? maybe but i go in there knowing the golden age has past me by. Its more like visiting an old friend, you will appreciate you cant relive the past but you still want it to be a part of your life to some degree.
It is still one of the few places in the sun in europe where anything goes and although alot has been done to kill this spirit through utter human greed there is still something to enjoyed, i guess you just have to look harder now, thats what my plan is next time.

one point tho. having been here the whole summer, one thing has really stuck in the midst of all the scaremongering, rumour mill rubbish and reality of fewer people (exch. rate and crisis being big factors).

and that is that there are thousands, 10s of thousands, of late teens and early 20 somthings who have visited ibiza this year, poss for 1st time, and felt the same way i did 10 years ago and oakey did 20 years ago and the romans did 2000 years ago.

for them, the "past" is only the same as me wishing i'd been able to see liverpool win their first european cup and live thru the shankly days. i can't but it doesn't stop me enjoying liverpool now. the same goes for ibiza.

the magic of ibiza is still enchanting people every day, every month, every year.

It's not as good as it used to be because it's not as good as it used to be?:lol:

Good post Olly, and well written in my opinion. Whilst I agree with most what you said I still think Ibiza's a great place and absolutely not over yet. I went back for the first time in 12 years this summer, having gone every year between 1990-96. As every time I've been, there were ups and downs but there's still nowhere like it in the world and I had as fantastic a time as I had back then.

This place gets more cliquey by the day!
Gve the geezer a break, he is only expressing views...

To be honest, i think he's bang on. Ibiza is not a shadow of what it was, even 5 years ago.

I dont care what anyone says, it's nowhere near as good. I spend probably 6 weeks every on Ibiza, and have done for the last 10 years. No-one in their right mind can claim what Olly says is wrong.

It has changed on an enormous scale in the 10 years ive visited. It USED to be the clubbing capital, but it just isnt anyore. Sure there's great clubs, but they all play the same kinda stuff, its all orientated towards the masses and pleasing the largest number of people.
Thats not a criticiscm, its simply the truth.

It was always going to go towards the St Tropez end of the scale, and 2008 was without doubt the beginning of that. Ive seen things in Ibiza this year I never thought I would see.

The daytime clubbing cull has sucked away a big part of what Ibiza was about. That being the freedom to party. I understand the arguement as to WHY it happened, however it doesnt change the fact that it has altered the entire way the island operates.

More that ever it is an obvious monetary driven society in Ibiza, driven by the government first and the clubs second.

Space is not a patch on what it used to be, the last 2 years have, to be honest, been ****e, aside from a handful of great parties. It is nothing like as good as it was when open air.

Bora Bora is a joke nowadays and simply not worth visiting

Amnesia however has improved, and is in my mind Ibiza's premier club, by a distance.

Pacha is pacha, love it or hate it. I love it.

Eden has improved, but is still much the same in its clientele and Es Paradis is over, but thats not news.

DC10 is a dive and always has been. Its popular because people think its the "in place". its now got MoS fever and people go there to look good. Nothing else.

its sad really, but Olly raises valid points. Ibiza has been going downhill for some time. Some of the decisions taken have been ludicrous. At the end of the day, the locals have paid the price as their businesses have suffered this year.

Ibiza WAS cool. it was great. Is it now? Im not so sure. It certainly isnt as enjoyable as it was, i dont care what anyone says...

Ibiza WAS cool. it was great. Is it now? Im not so sure. It certainly isnt as enjoyable as it was, i dont care what anyone says...
I'm glad you don't care what anyone says, 'cause I'm gonna have a go.

I disagree with about 80% of what you said... mainly because you're dead wrong.

I was there for my annual visit last month and had one of the best times on the partying side that I've had in 8 years.

It's all down to opinions in the end, but it is a bold faced lie to tell people, especially those who haven't been, that Ibiza has lost it. It hasn't. You've just lost that loving feeling. :spank:

Back