Ibiza '08 - highs/lows

I'm glad you don't care what anyone says, 'cause I'm gonna have a go.

I disagree with about 80% of what you said... mainly because you're dead wrong.

I was there for my annual visit last month and had one of the best times on the partying side that I've had in 8 years.

It's all down to opinions in the end, but it is a bold faced lie to tell people, especially those who haven't been, that Ibiza has lost it. It hasn't. You've just lost that loving feeling. :spank:

John he isnt a liar, he is stating his opinion, we are all entitled to saying what we think about Ibiza whether good or bad. I agree with some of what Toms has to say. I love the place, but its not offering me anything new anymore. Most of the DJs I want to see I can see in London for a fraction of the cost. It was the daytime clubbing that I really loved.

Everything over there at the moment seems tired imo. Its the same line ups year after year. I understand that Clubs are there to make money but the lines ups at WLS havent had many new additions for 3 years or so. Pacha has had the same nights for at least 4 years now.

Whatever, we'll all argue about this until the cows come home. I didn't say he was a liar, just wrong. He spoke in absolutes ('it's nowhere near as good') and I spoke in absolutes ('that's a load of bullsh!t!)

I get many of the same DJs coming through here too. But I enjoy it more in Ibiza. I like the venues (toms was very right about Amnesia), I like the atmosphere, I love the surroundings - all the things around on the island that make just being there fun, tangible and intangible. There's a different pace to life than London or Moscow. You can't separate the clubbing or music out from the total vibe - it's all part of the package and it's better than what we get at home.

Of course people are bound to disagree on all this, but I don't see the point of coming on an Ibiza forum to slag the place. And I don't think we should be called "cliquish" for defending a place we love.

(and for the record, Pacha has changed Thursdays and Fridays over the past 2 years... not necesarily for the better, but not the same nights.)

As much as it saddens me to say it, I do agree with a lot of what Toms and Rob have said - now that daytime clubbing is no more, there isn't really anything that distinguishes Ibiza from anywhere else. At the end of the day if you're clubbing inside at 4am in the morning you can essentially be anywhere in the world.

The whole magic of Ibiza was that you could go clubbing at 8am, 11am, 2pm, 5pm, 10pm, midnight, whenever - now with most of the clubs you've effectively got no more than 6/7 hours clubbing a night which is a bit of a joke considering it's supposed to be the 'clubbing capital of the world'.

Ibiza is still an amazing place but anyone who says that it is still the 'clubbing capital of the world' is looking at it thru slightly rose tinted glasses imo.

We're all entitled to an opinion, otherwise this place'd be dire!!

I just think there is nothing new in Ibiza. Absolutely nothing. They havent evolved at all, and are simply trading on past glories, and ramping up the prices each time.

I personally dont have a problem with the cost of the place, but when they are setting prices in the clubs at 10 Euros for water etc its obvious what they are doing!

This year for me was so disppointing. On a physical level and a musical one. What is changing for the good of clubbing in Ibiza? Absolutely nothing. It isnt moving forward like it was even 5 years ago. its not even delivering on a musical level like it used to. Ibiza used to be THE key for dance music sales, now its just remixes of old tunes.

Im sidetracking with the music issue, and thats not really relevant i know, i just think the authorities have really really killed the scene over there this year, there is no get up and go on the island, its just a kind of defeated attitude, and i understand this, because every new act, club, or bar on the island is treated like a disease to be cut out.

I also think the attitude of the workers in Ibiza doesnt help this. I worked there for 4 seasons, and this year the only thing i really noticed from the workers was that they all thought they were too cool for school. Like the old 3rd season know it alls. It was like if you went to Gala Night, you were somehow "in the know" and no one was injecting life into the place.

The whole thing in Ibiza at the moment is just stagnant, there's no-one really coming up with anything new, and I have better club experiences at Cava Paradiso and in nightclubs in Barcelona and even London.

Its the up itself attitude from everyone, the nightclub owners, the bar owners, the workers out there now, everyone. It seems that they think they know it all, just cos they are in Ibiza. And that's complete bull****.

it just doesnt hold the magic anymore, thats the difference. The hedonists have moved on and the corporate brands have moved in. Anyone can see this and if you cant then there's nothing more I can say

Well thats his right to say that it isnt as good just as its your right to say it is.

See I enjoy London just as much as I enjoy Ibiza. Both have their merits and I couldn't choose between them. The Venues are great, but you can get venues like that all over the world now. The Music imo has got stagnant. See thats where we differ mate, for me the music is a third of why I go out. I have done my time of going out every weekend just for the sake of it and now got out once or twice a month to hear some great music. If the music isnt doing it for me then I will probably have a good night having a laugh with my pals but I wont have a great night with out great music.

If we all said the same thing the world would be a boring place. A debate needs both sides put forward.

Well its still Pure Pacha on fridays isnt it just not with Pete Tong. I know Thursdays has always been the wild card but its been Roger, Defected, Erick, Pure Pacha and Def mix there for years now.

Morbyd, leave them be ;)

I had one of my best ibiza holidays (if not the best) this year. Some people grow out of love with things quicker than others, theres no harm in that. Depends on what you're looking for. (And if you've got taste buds ;) )

See you for two weeks in the white isle in 2009 8)

Morbyd, leave them be ;)

I had one of my best ibiza holidays (if not the best) this year. Some people grow out of love with things quicker than others, theres no harm in that. Depends on what you're looking for. (And if you've got taste buds ;) )

See you for two weeks in the white isle in 2009 8)

Amen, brother! ;)

I can see other people points, like Robbies. But i'm with Ferd and Morbs on this one.8)

I've been going regularly since 1997, and yes it has changed, Its changed immensely, but everywhere changes. But the whole idea of going on 'holiday' is escapism, getting away from the daily grind. Yes London may have what Robbies mentioned, alot of places do. But the thing about going on 'holiday' to Ibiza, isnt just about the clubbing IMO, its the whole package. And for me Ibiza still has that. It still has the most amazing scenery (beaches etc etc), Fantastic cuisine for all budgets, a vast cosmopolitan mix of nationalities and cultures (where else can you be dancing next to a model one minute then a hippy or pre op (badly dressed) transexual the next ???), Great clubbing, and last but not least some of the friendliest people you can meet. I've made tonnes of friends just from my trips to Ibiza, and each time i go back i always bump into old faces who i havent seen for ages, its great !!

so that my tuppance worth :lol:

I have to agree i have been going to ibiza since 2002 and i had one of my best trips this year ibiza has been through a lot of changes since it all began and people still go it is a shame that the day time clubbing is gone but you can still party all night long in some of the best clubs in the world to some of the best dj's in the world week in week out with the bonus of not having to work the next day and 24/7 sunshine. For those who say clubing in ibiza at 4am is no different that club in london at 4 am i would just like to know where they are going in london because none of the clubs i ever go to look anything like the ibiza clubs ibiza has so much more to offer than just the day time clubbing.

yes-- me too-- been going at least once every year since 1999-- :):):)

this year very special and over for shorter stints during main part of season for Danny Tenaglia's residency, Be@Space.8):)8)-- just too wonderful. Then longer stint for Sept/Oct and more closings. :D

Yes changes and yes love my very early experiences, but things move on and the island is still like nowhere else and this has been a wonderful season.

was thinking about this thread recently and the reaction it provoked - just been catching up, a lot of interesting points, people have been making. I stand by my initial sentiments on Space and San An but am trully, trully gutted to have missed out on Underground having seen the pix and heard the tales

not ruled out returning in 2009 but various festivals in Croatia are tempting me more, tbh,.. we'll see ;)

my main hatred of Space wasn't based on musical genres though. It was the venue itself and the retards in there. The one room I DID briefly like at Space "EL Salon" wasn't playing detroit OR deep house, it was actually more balearic/disco for the 30mins of the night I did enjoy - but the sound police had determined that the sound would be set so low as to be meaningless - and the poor DJ on after Alfredo just shrugged sympathetically when we asked him to turn it up. Probably fearful he would carted off to the local guardia civil detention centre otherwise..

but the guy after HIM, Novy? decided it would be a really good idea to play a load of euro kak, and so we were subjected to seminal moments like snap - rhythm is a dancer, which a hen party from West London (one of whom knew someone from my a-level days at the same college :eek: ) decided to sing along to IN ITS ENTIRETY in their most raucous voices. The best bit was when one of the girls said to me "this is my favourite room - it's all happy house here, tunes you can sing along to, yer know", and with that, my brief fondness for El Salon died...

you should have come up & raved with me in the redbox room u fool!:rolleyes:;)
anyways, cant believe i missed this thread for so long....
what a way to make a quiet entrance on2 a new forum board! :lol: congrats! ;)

this year was my 2nd season (my 1st was 4years ago) & i will NOT be going back in a hurry. israel anyone? ;)8):lol:

over & out.......:arrow:

you should have come up & raved with me in the redbox room u fool!:rolleyes:;)
anyways, cant believe i missed this thread for so long....
what a way to make a quiet entrance on2 a new forum board! :lol: congrats! ;)

this year was my 2nd season (my 1st was 4years ago) & i will NOT be going back in a hurry. israel anyone? ;)8):lol:

over & out.......:arrow:

:lol:

How I've missed the wisdom of discoplayer - just like ol' times!

:twisted:

I should stress my comment was mainly written from a clubber's perspective - thread got a bit out of hand thereafter :oops: In truth, I barely saw the island outside of that context - in fact, saw more of Formentera by day, and only skimmed the surface of the south of Ibiza. Ignore the negativity - the actual island is STUNNINGLY beautiful, loved the hierbas ibizencos and the melons and general food, buses were pretty decent and the ferry across is pretty cool.

Enjoy

My two pennance worth

For me,

(Not wanting to deflect from the overwhelming sense of getting at Olly - unwarranted BTW)

Highs -

Going back again

Practising the langauge I've been trying (and failing to learn) since 1999

A week with a very good mate who I don't see too much any more

A lost few days with a couple of random lads who I'd never met before from the West Midlands who (while they made me feel sooooo very old) reaffirmed why you're never really too old to go out and enjoy yourself - Joe thanks for not making good on your promise to make me go out with you the day after Space

Seeing friends, revisiting special places and sights seen (however much they've changed) over 12 years of visiting the island

A sunny day at Benirras then dinner (*see below) and dancing at Pacha - still a lovely club despite the crazy prices

Bar Llumbi at Es Cubells (a bizzare yet still hidden gem)

Still knowing that 'El verano propica el surrearilismo, dia y noche en Ibiza' (and hopefully always will do)

Raco Verde in St Jose (never have been able to locate your house though Stephen)

Ama Lur & Bon Lloc (very differnt prices, always quality food)

Dalt Villa - always makes me smile when I see it from the plane (or even see a photo)

2ManyDJs at Space

Getting stunningly leathered via Julia, Dom, Constantine & Annalise

A group of people doing a dance that resembled crabs (the crustations rather than the STD) at Cream

Too much more to mention

Lows -

The funking exchange rate and onset of the credit crunch

Friends businesses in Playa den Bossa suffering (hope Andorra makes up for the season guys)

Realising everything has to change - despite it being depressing at times

The continued rise of (what was once known) as minimal techno

Feeling really elderly when encountering 'young uns' and feeling myself 'tutting' at peoples behavior

The ruddy weather in September (b*stard rain)

Really ****t*y food at Pacha again

The continued low quality of driving standards (not ours, it was other people guvnor)

Jeff Mourmans (who swore at us for parking our car in front of his)

We pulled out in front and stopped near Es Cubells on the road to St Jose - in the parking area near the little Italian restaurant (Las Lunas ?) & supermarket and he was unimpressed.

Does he live round there ? I've seen the (varied) Rollers or Bentleys or whatever they are) rolling round those roads a few times in the last few years.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back