Getting to/from Ibiza latest info

The UK roller coaster ride continues. From the Guardian this evening.

Ministers and scientists have in effect warned Britons not to place much hope in the idea of an overseas holiday this year, saying travel to almost all countries remains off-limits and hinting that the “green list” of permitted destinations is unlikely to grow quickly.

The robust stance is likely to anger Conservative backbenchers who are warning of dire consequences for the travel and aviation industries without change.

The messaging is very clear - don't bother or if you do, expect a load of hasstle and costs. UK government simply doesn't want citizens departing en masse for a Summer holiday in the Med right now and they are not looking to make it attractive or convenient to do so. They want people vaccinated to stay here and try to open things up domestically where they have more control, not to get jabbed so they can go on holiday abroad and risk importing infections across borders. The consequences for the aviation industry pale into nothing compared to the cost of another nationwide lockdown, both politically and economically.

The messaging is very clear - don't bother or if you do, expect a load of hasstle and costs. UK government simply doesn't want citizens departing en masse for a Summer holiday in the Med right now and they are not looking to make it attractive or convenient to do so. They want people vaccinated to stay here and try to open things up domestically where they have more control, not to get jabbed so they can go on holiday abroad and risk importing infections across borders. The consequences for the aviation industry pale into nothing compared to the cost of another nationwide lockdown, both politically and economically.
certainly looking that way, will it put some off even going for their jab? possibly. a lot have had it for the soul reason that it will get back their freedoms such as travel. very annoying

Last edited:
I feel like it’s only in the last few days that their message has tightened though. A change in line with the warnings on stage 4 being delayed amidst the rise and vigilance of the India variant.

Before that it was "green = go for it but get tested and we'll even try and make the tests cheaper for you. Amber = go for it but 10 days quarantine / -5 days with negative test. Red; don’t even think about it." Now red and amber are seemingly aligning and the prospects of green look shaky.

Amber destination flights are still flying regardless and this has implications. 150 flights left the U.K. on Monday to amber countries. People have also been booking holidays in the hope that their own chosen destination eventually goes green in time for their departure. If this isn’t a reasonable prospect for 2021, the government needs to be clear about that now. Thousands have left for Portugal etc following the green = go message and that has certainly given others hope they'll be on a beach soon too. So I think they need to decide what the final message is to be for this summer.

Last edited:
Thing is, they effectively tried the "amber list" status with Indian arrivals "self-isolating" (jokes ...) for 10 days and it's led to where we are with community transmission in hotspots off imported cases. It doesn't work and unless they electronically tagged everyone coming back from holiday to make sure they didn't move from their houses there's precious little prospect of effective enforcement. That's aside from the joke of everyone mixed up for hours in the arrivals halls and travelling to their "self-isolation" venue on public transport. I wonder how embedded the Indian variant is in Europe by now ?

@Amigo I think they've been pretty clear about the message for this Summer from way back - the Government wants people to stay in UK and not travel abroad on holiday. There's nothing new in it and I wouldn't expect that to change. Exceptions like Gibraltar are of course politically and economically biased - UK has supplied them with enough pfizer vaccine from its allocation to get most of the adult population vaccinated already. Portugal is a guinea pig selected from the Southern European options to see how phase 1 goes - and let's not forget to repair relations after they were kept on the barred list last year when others were off it. But basically we have to work on the assumption that they're looking for reasons to put a stop to leisure travel abroad rather than to enable it. So don't be surprised if you go against that and it all goes pear shaped.

Last edited:
Just because its on the UK's green or amber list doesn't mean those countries will accept UK visitors though. US is amber but there's a ban on UK flights in the US.

So let me get this straight; if and when Spain is on the green list, we can set off and go there without any tests, just proof of full vaccination?

Then what happens when we want to return, we have to take a test there within 3 days of departure (what if you are only there for two??) and one when you get back - how doea that work? Do you take a test with you in your bag? What do you do with the result?

Hopefully shortly people will be returning from Portugal who will be able to explaing the procedures to a thicko like me.

How the Brits get into Gibraltar (Green) - are there/will there be testing stations at Ibiza airport?

Ticker on Sky News, Spain to allow UK tourists entry without test from next week.

Now, there's getting the UK to allow you to go and return??

Having a Google last night an article suggested people who have had 1 jab would also be able to travel without a test. Having only had one I would be happy with that but I'm comfortable having to test.
I have no knowledge on the reliability of this news firm www.euronews.com/amp/2021/05/20/deal-reached-to-introduce-an-eu-wide-covid-travel-pass

Having a Google last night an article suggested people who have had 1 jab would also be able to travel without a test. Having only had one I would be happy with that but I'm comfortable having to test.
I have no knowledge on the reliability of this news www.euronews.com/amp/2021/05/20/deal-reached-to-introduce-an-eu-wide-covid-travel-pass

yeah this is all just coming out now. I think you do need to be FULLY vaccinated.

uk citizens from monday, rest of the world 7th june as the president of our central gov't just said.

I shall update the corona updates thread later once we have a link from a reliable source.

yeah this is all just coming out now. I think you do need to be FULLY vaccinated.

uk citizens from monday, rest of the world 7th june as the president of our central gov't just said.

I shall update the corona updates thread later once we have a link from a reliable source.
I suspect they are confusing the one jab from J & J

So let me get this straight; if and when Spain is on the green list, we can set off and go there without any tests, just proof of full vaccination?

Then what happens when we want to return, we have to take a test there within 3 days of departure (what if you are only there for two??) and one when you get back - how doea that work? Do you take a test with you in your bag? What do you do with the result?

Hopefully shortly people will be returning from Portugal who will be able to explaing the procedures to a thicko like me.
Not entirely sure he answers your questions but a watched this the other day and my head nearly fell off

probably won't affect most on here but if you are travelling anywhere in Spain from the UK and staying with friends or at a residential address, the host will pick up a €74 bill to fill out all the paperwork! I somehow doubt this is realistic but worth bearing in mind...

Back