FAVOURITE DJS

you just haven't had your moment of enlightning just yet! ;)

I'd had great nights there prior this but Sven belting out Len Faki - Octopus in the main room around 6am a few years ago was certainly 'a moment'

naaah each to their own. I have a few friends that don't understand my love for cocoon.

@cunninghamali who's your all time fave then?
I dont even know anymore, I had a break from ibiza and partying for 4 years and just went back to ibiza last year again....i would say carl cox few years back, erik morillo had a good night when he was at pacha, last year went el row and loved it! Havent been to solomon yet but i am predicting he will be my new fav DJ... Is it me or does solomon sound more of the techno minimal vibe (which i love)

Also i seen luciano new years and he was playing hard techno loved it, (i kno many of u here dont) and martinez bros, never seen them but i like them

ali - in 15 years I never heard luciano playing 'hard techno'. I'm sure he played a very energetic set, but I honestly doubt he actually played hard techno.

also solomun...what he plays is in my books stuff that reaches from deep house (not the 'orginal' deep house, but what it is known today as) over to techno, but (again IMO) pretty much the opposite of minimal as it's mostly very melodic and epic stuff he plays.

I would say luciano did not play hard techno as in cocoon hard but not techno house, bit deeper than that. It was my first time I ever heard him. Yeh i suppose it was energetic, there are so many different types of techno its hard to put it in a type or genre sometimes

I'd had great nights there prior this but Sven belting out Len Faki - Octopus in the main room around 6am a few years ago was certainly 'a moment'

I saw him drop this at Cocoon London at a similar time in the morning a few years back. I wouldn't like to imagine that being dropped in Amnesia main room :twisted:

imo most of the best DJs in the world are yanks who've been in the game a long time. I've seen Joe Claussell do things on turntables I didn't think it was humanly possible to do. I've said this before but he is the only DJ I want to actually watch because he is ridiculously entertaining (shoulders arched back, bandana firmly in place and eyes closed half the time!) and works a crowd so well, playing some druggy house one minute and then eq-ing some Stevie Wonder classic to destruction the next. Jerome Sydenham is pretty amazing too, when he bangs the system. Perhaps the best technical DJ in the UK is probably Jerome Hill. Unbelievable skills and a comprehensive knowledge of electro, hardcore and acid techno, even if it can get a bit nosebleed for my jaded old ears. Oscar Mulero is probably the best Spanish DJ although I really rate Marc Pinol at the moment too and another Barcelona-based guy called Dan Baughman. Taking it way back, (obv before my time) Ron Hardy was a master selector, showcasing so many European records to American audiences and I think his eclecticism rubbed off on Alfredo (nuff said..) The best 'laptop' DJ for me is Henrik Schwarz - proof you don't have to be an analogue master to bring that raw energy to a floor. Followed him closely for about 12 years. Beautiful, beguiling, techy, jazzy yet really uplifting music every time. The last DJ who really blew my mind was probably Paramida at the Niburu parties in East London a couple of years back. Just the trippiest journeys, she plays music I've never heard anywhere else. Looking fwd to checking out Tiago in Portugal in a few weeks time. He is ace and really mixes it up. I could go on all the night. Hard to pick one out. I couldn't care less about silly flavour of the month hype though, all bollox.

over the years i've had my favourites based on the style of music i'm into at the time

was Oakenfold, Lawler, Sasha, Troxler, Hawtin etc

but if i had to pick a favourite - SLAM
never disappoint, always at the forefront of new music

in addition
just now my next favourites are Kraviz, Klock, Hawtin, de Witte, Lens, Govor, Dettmann, Vath

good call on Slam. Everyone forgets now how they 'discovered' Daft Punk - how different history might be had they remained on Soma...

Back