Cocoon20 - Discussion thread

I once interviewed a UK-based underground artist (I'm talking Berlin underground, not Ibiza underground). We got onto the subject of gigs and he mentioned that his next booking he was playing in a venue where the night before Barry Chuckle was doing a live PA. Led me to ask him if there was any venue he wouldn't play before of its reputation. His answer surprised me, but was succinct.

"I play for promoters. Not for venues."

I liked that. Makes sense.

I think punters would do well to adapt a similar mindset.

I'm no fan of Ushuaïa. I find it plastic and lacking soul. I like Hï even less. But you need to put faith in the promoter (until such time as they let you down. See: Afterlife i.m.o)

I've only be to a fraction of their parties in 20 years, but Cocoon has yet to let me down. Some quiet nights last summer, granted. But the music was never compromised.

Furthermore, we saw in the UK recently what happens when the mob think they know better than a promoter with 20+ years of experience. (And resultingly, what happens when said promoter starts to second guess themselves).

I can't say that I'm overly excited by the prospect of Cocoon at Ushuaïa. Curious, yes. But I trust that they will do the same meticulous prep as they always do. And - as a one-off - it could easily make sense as far as a bigger picture is concerned. This is 20 years. We know they have big plans.

What I can say for certain, is that with IMS grand finale, Cocoon20, Solomun and Circoloco - that is the best opening weekend I can recall, and still more TBA. All the better for being spread across multiple venues.

I think punters would do well to adapt a similar mindset.

This is very true, and I was thinking about this the other day. In London I don’t care what venue say Dixon plays... I want to go. And if anything the mix is good.

There just must be something stronger in Ibiza in terms of how people link DJs and Parties to venues, and many just can’t get over it. It must be memories and the fact that the venues are unique. You think back to the good times over the winter and it’s the venues and atmosphere you remember etc.

The people moaning about Cocoon and MusicOn changing venues and mixing it up would happily go to any other venue to see them in their home country.

I once interviewed a UK-based underground artist (I'm talking Berlin underground, not Ibiza underground). We got onto the subject of gigs and he mentioned that his next booking he was playing in a venue where the night before Barry Chuckle was doing a live PA. Led me to ask him if there was any venue he wouldn't play before of its reputation. His answer surprised me, but was succinct.

Nah, some venues are just dogshit, for whatever reason. I would avoid seeing an artist I enjoy if I hate the venue enough.

I
This is very true, and I was thinking about this the other day. In London I don’t care what venue say Dixon plays... I want to go. And if anything the mix is good.

There just must be something stronger in Ibiza in terms of how people link DJs and Parties to venues, and many just can’t get over it. It must be memories and the fact that the venues are unique. You think back to the good times over the winter and it’s the venues and atmosphere you remember etc.

The people moaning about Cocoon and MusicOn changing venues and mixing it up would happily go to any other venue to see them in their home country.
It works both ways for example, I know people who go to venues over the club nights. Basically go to dc10 without checking that club night is on more than likely to get a good instagram post. They do this at home too on big club dates like boxing day etc they name the club they are attending not club night or DJ which really annoys me.

It's all for the gram!

Nah, some venues are just dogshit, for whatever reason. I would avoid seeing an artist I enjoy if I hate the venue enough.
No doubt. But surely if a promoter has a 99% track record and is willing to invest in line-up, production, decor and attract their own crowd, they could essentially make it seem like a completely different venue?

No doubt. But surely if a promoter has a 99% track record and is willing to invest in line-up, production, decor and attract their own crowd, they could essentially make it seem like a completely different venue?

Sometimes the attitude of bouncers at a venue or the layout/facilities (particularly when sold out, or close to) of the venue can make for a bad experience. The promoter can't fix that. There are very few venues I wouldn't go to, but there are certainly some I enjoy a lot more than others.

Sometimes the attitude of bouncers at a venue or the layout/facilities (particularly when sold out, or close to) of the venue can make for a bad experience. The promoter can't fix that. There are very few venues I wouldn't go to, but there are certainly some I enjoy a lot more than others.
What if they limit the number of tickets, hire in portaloos, rent their own soundsystem, instruct the security to be more lenient... Granted, all of those things at once is unlikely. But I've known all to happen - as a venue operator.

I think you should see opportunity in every potential event space: lets face it, at the dawn of acid house good toilet facilities, security with integrity and tuned up sound systems were rare! But the overall experience compensated for it

i'm out the loop with London parties......what happened?
They sold out prior to releasing the line-up. When they announced it - and it was pretty clued up - the tech house community were up in arms as it didn't contain The Martinez Bros or Seth. Promoter panicked. Pulled the post and 24hrs later re-released having added Loco Dice and FUSE guys. Everybody got shorter set times and Dice was stuck on early doors anyway. Acts like Adam Port got resigned to Room 2. Tragedy all round. Still can't believe they bowed to the pressure.

What if they limit the number of tickets, hire in portaloos, rent their own soundsystem, instruct the security to be more lenient... Granted, all of those things at once is unlikely. But I've known all to happen - as a venue operator.

I think you should see opportunity in every potential event space: lets face it, at the dawn of acid house good toilet facilities, security with integrity and tuned up sound systems were rare! But the overall experience compensated for it

???

They sold out prior to releasing the line-up. When they announced it - and it was pretty clued up - the tech house community were up in arms as it didn't contain The Martinez Bros or Seth. Promoter panicked. Pulled the post and 24hrs later re-released having added Loco Dice and FUSE guys. Everybody got shorter set times and Dice was stuck on early doors anyway. Acts like Adam Port got resigned to Room 2. Tragedy all round. Still can't believe they bowed to the pressure.
wow, what a story. there is so much to that, don't even know where to begin :)

Back