Champions League Semi-Final

I don't think Man U's shout was a penalty. If that was a penalty, then Drogba should have had one vs. Carragher in the other game, and I didn't think that was a penalty either.

The handball was a penalty, and 99% of the time Ronaldo buries it... thus my text to you last night Ferd ;)

I dozed off for the second half :oops: (it was after midnight here) but Barca were all over Man U like a bad suit in the first half. The lack of chances surprised me, but what was even more surprising was to see Wayne Rooney playing in defense. What a gameplan!

United be confident to win at home because they really didn't seem to be striving for that away goal....

Go Barca!

Rooney was playing on the right wing not defence but he did defend at times, i was wondering what Fergie was playing at playing Rooney out wide, he looked out of sorts as he's not used to playing up fropnt, Fergie should've just played him up front with Tevez as usual with Ronaldo just behind them, but how and ever i think United will surge forward in the return leg, Barca still a very good team though.

Levante (bottom of our league) playing at the Nou Camp had more shots on goal than you.

I understand why you played that way, and thats fine. But what you can't then do is have a go at Liverpool or Chelsea when they do the same thing. (By "you" I mean most united fans). All I read/heard before this game is what a great attacking team Man Utd are..
Liverpool attacked more than you did in last year's game we played.

ps: i agree it was a penalty, but then Etoo was also fouled but he didnt dive, unlike Ronaldo.

Perhaps they had mate but there's a big difference between a run of the mill La Liga game and the Champions League semi final game where even a single goal can be costly, i knew Barca would come at United they had no option but the United defence looked solid especially Ferdinand and Brown who have both been excellent this season., they absorbed the pressure last night and frustrated Barca

I must say Messi has some great skill, were you at the game mate?

fergie's tactical genius in europe once again visible for all to see. :rolleyes::confused:

hence the reason why in the last 15 years, they have made it past the group stages practically every season and then errrr.....made it to one final. absolutely shocking european record.

if united had a real go last night, they could have threatened barsa at the back (where there are the most question marks), but ferd is right, it was a complete park a bus mentality. what a waste of talen. nice one fergie.

fergie is a legend no doubt, but every year united fans bemoan he is european nouse when they inevitably fail.

By Neil Humphreys
Straits Times

THERE was a time when Manchester United were about as popular as a kiss-o-gram at a children's party.

The arrogance, the vein-bulging haranguing of referees and the occasional flying kick made the Red Devils the team everyone loved to hate.

It was always going to take considerable effort for a team to snatch that mantle.

In the end, it took a Russian oligarch, a billion-dollar squad that play with less adventure than a Sunday morning pub side and Didier 'I've just been shot' Drogba.

Now, throw John Terry into the mix and you have a club that only Peter Kenyon could love.

The first leg of the Champions League semi-final between Liverpool and Chelsea yesterday morning was simply heartbreaking.

Only Chelsea fans would've failed to have any sympathy for John Arne Riise after his bizarre stoppage- time goal handed the Blues an undeserved lifeline in the 94th minute.

And why were there four minutes of stoppage time anyway? The referee, Konrad Plautz, never stopped for anything. Had Terry pulled Fernando Torres' shorts off and thrown them at Plautz, the referee would've played on.

When Terry was finally shown a yellow card in the dying moments, after he had cynically sent a rampaging Javier Mascherano airborne, the referee received a sarcastic standing ovation.

The Blues were fingernails- down-the-blackboard irritating at Anfield, particularly when their polarising centre-forward was anywhere near the ball.

Drogba is 1.89m tall and around 90kg of solid muscle, but he goes down like Bambi on ice.

There were at least six occasions when he went down after what appeared to be innocuous challenges. I'm sure he collapsed when an Anfield steward handed him the ball for a throw-in.

The striker even has a full repertoire of falls. There's the common 'tree felling', suggesting he's been chopped down abruptly. Sometimes, he goes for The Matrix 'I'd-better-go-down-really-slowly-so-the-ref-spots-it' tumble.

And in the second half, following a minor challenge from Riise, he opted for his preferred Platoon poster fall.

For those not familiar with the movie's iconic poster image of actor Willem Dafoe, Drogba acts like he's been shot from behind, his upper body juts out violently and he throws his arms above his head before sinking to the turf in despair.

You're never quite sure if Drogba is waiting for the referee to blow his whistle or for Oliver Stone to shout, 'cut!'.

The irony is of course that if one player had a right to go down like he was being machine-gunned a la James Caan in The Godfather (another Drogba favourite), it was Torres.

Chelsea's strategy, apart from containing Liverpool by playing as little football as possible, was to target Torres. The policy was exceedingly simple: If Torres is standing up, he can score; ergo, don't let him stand up.

Terry was always happy to oblige.

The Chelsea skipper likes to park his Bentley in parking spaces reserved for the disabled outside Pizza Express, so subtlety isn't his forte.

But his decision to run over a prostrate Torres and knee him in the back made the pizza incident look tactful.

A few minutes later, Ricardo Carvalho elbowed the Spaniard in the same spot, presumably while singing, 'Anything you can do, I can do better'.

Meanwhile, Drogba, fearing that Terry or Carvalho might upstage him, managed to pull Jamie Carragher's shirt in the box, fall over and then demand a penalty.

When the free kick went against him, Drogba shrugged his shoulders at the referee as if to say, 'Who, me?'

At that moment, he became that nauseating kid in class who'd stick a pin on your chair and then feign innocence when the teacher told you off for screaming.

The outraged Anfield crowd sang 'same old Chelsea, always cheating', which was rather harsh.

The old Chelsea didn't really cheat.

:lol:

A couple of valid points in there. Good description of Drogba's falls.

However, a lot of partisan crap in that article too. Wonder whom he supports.

As a united fan I was very disappointed with the performance, lacked lust, passion and good football, we should have lost 3 or 4 nil but due to Barca's poor shooting we got out of jail.......it'll be different at OT but we need to play like a team that want to win it as Barca can and will more than likely score at OT.

Hopefully we'll be different at the weekend. If we seal the title at the bridge I think we'll be more relaxed for the return leg of Barca, its going to be a big week.....make or break!!!

As a united fan I was very disappointed with the performance, lacked lust, passion and good football, we should have lost 3 or 4 nil but due to Barca's poor shooting we got out of jail.......it'll be different at OT but we need to play like a team that want to win it as Barca can and will more than likely score at OT.

Hopefully we'll be different at the weekend. If we seal the title at the bridge I think we'll be more relaxed for the return leg of Barca, its going to be a big week.....make or break!!!

to be fair mate you weren't that poor, considering it was a makeshift defence they performed very well, got a hell of a lot of players behind the ball and stopped them from scoring, which has to be what you went for. I did think barca did lack that bit of quality in the final 3rd and apart from a couple of occassions they were restricted to long range efforts. Messi, even half fit is just a different class, that flick where he left evra tackling thin air....quality!!!

23/04/2008 22:25, Report by Steve Bartram

Ronny warns Barca

Cristiano Ronaldo has warned Barcelona that he will atone for his Nou Camp penalty miss in next week's semi-final decider at Old Trafford.
The Portuguese winger blazed a second-minute spot kick past the post as United and Barca fought out a goalless first leg draw, but he insists he will score when the teams reconvene in six days' time.
"Today I didn't score," he told Sky Sports. "No problem, now I'm going to score in Manchester. Nil-nil is a good result. Of course, if you score a goal it is better for us. We didn't score, but 0-0 is good.
"It was a tough game, Barcelona played very well and kept the ball a lot. But I think we defended very well and we played well too. I think 0-0 away is a good result."
Aside from Ronaldo's penalty miss - and the decision not to award a second spot kick for a foul by Rafael Marquez - the 23-year-old winger is still confident that United can book a berth against either Chelsea or Liverpool in Moscow.
"Now we're playing at home, and I think we're going to win," he said. "The team feels good confidence, we played very well, we play at home now and we have a great chance.

http://www.manutd.com/default.sps?pagegid={B4CEE8FA-9A47-47BC-B069-3F7A2F35DB70}&newsid=549506

to be fair mate you weren't that poor, considering it was a makeshift defence they performed very well, got a hell of a lot of players behind the ball and stopped them from scoring, which has to be what you went for. I did think barca did lack that bit of quality in the final 3rd and apart from a couple of occassions they were restricted to long range efforts. Messi, even half fit is just a different class, that flick where he left evra tackling thin air....quality!!!

maybe, but knowing how well we've played this season I think I expected more from them.....a bit more attacking football would have been nice but at least we are in a position where its ours to lose with the home advantage and all that!

I would have happily taken the draw before the match but a score draw would be better.

maybe, but knowing how well we've played this season I think I expected more from them.....a bit more attacking football would have been nice but at least we are in a position where its ours to lose with the home advantage and all that!

I would have happily taken the draw before the match but a score draw would be better.

if you had defended like that against us this season, we might have only taken the 4pts ;)

Cristiano Ronaldo (real name Cristiano Ronaldo Dos Santos Aveiro) was last night reported to be in a stable condition having reportedly suffered a nervous breakdown in the early hours of the morning.

This revelation came on the day Ronaldo had been sentenced to pay a fine of £125,000 after being caught hunting Elephants in Tembe National park in South Africa.

Police have released a statement suggesting Ronaldo couldn’t handle big game penalties.

:lol:

it must frustrate you tho, over 15 years or so off competing in the competition, that fergie's tactical ineptitude means you never get anywhere.

i love barsa, but you could've tore them apart at the back last night if the team had been more assertive. the whole balance of having tevez, ronaldo, park, rooney just didn't work. hence the reason why he never plays all 4 like that in the prem. should have played anderson or giggs instead of tevez/park and let rooney get forward.

Back