#Brexit

I keep hearing about these intensive talks going on, but I imagine they are something like this:

EU: Can we fish in your waters?
UK: No
UK: Can we have a free trade agreement?
EU: No

EU: Can we fish in your waters?
UK: No
UK: Can we have a free trade agreement?
EU: No

And so on.... :confused:

Hinging everything on the fishing industry is only mildly better than hinging everything on slightly cheaper soy sauce

There isn’t really a fishing industry in the UK anymore.

Explained a bit better here, but like most things Brexit related the predicted outcomes are clear as mud ?‍♂️

I'm quite enjoying the delicious irony in all those farmers that were pro-Brexit, let Brexit campaign posters and signs be put in their fields will very likely be shafted in more than 1 way over the coming years.

I think you will be waiting a long time before you can gloat over farmers being shafted.

Even at the height of WW2, when every square inch of land was put into cultivation, the UK wasn’t self sufficient in food.

There are plenty of countries outside of the EU perfectly happy to supply food to the UK. Will mean more market share to them, and less to the EU.

And given the nature of the global supply chain these days, the logistics of bringing food from afar has become commonplace.

Although on the flip side with the government looking to go more and more carbon neutral, the burning of fossil fuels to import food stuffs that we can source on our own soil will probably become less desirable. More incentives will likely be given to UK producers I would imagine, of which farmers will be part of.

How it all works out in reality though is anyone’s guess at the minute ?‍♂️

Meanwhile the Brexit pantomime goes on.

Back