#Brexit

hard to know what to add to what else has been said. this is a country immersed in an identity crisis and it has to try and agree on some shared purpose because it's on its own now. Johnson is the symptom not the cause. they voted in the clown because he tapped into that 1940/1982 myth of invincibility. reality is irrelevant here. this isn't about him. this is about them. English nationalism is the only driver here. What the Scots and N Irish do next is anyone's guess. I miss a few friends and wish them well but I'm never going back. I'd advise others to get out too if you can.

It's causing me untold stress at the moment. I'm currently back in the UK and no-one knows what will happen if I want/have to return to Germany next year instead of this year. Germany's handling of the residency issue has been chaotic, with different regions doings things differently. Where I live, I have no official paperwork yet to say I have residency in Germany, even though it's automatic for me, and the German border police have been told to accept other kinds of evidence, such as bank statements or health insurance as proof for us to be allowed back. I will be driving, so as far as I can tell, if I drive after the 31st I will get a Schengen stamp upon entry to France but no-one knows how I can get this removed on arrival in Germany, not even the French immigration officials I spoke to.

I will never forgive the bastards that have inflicted this on us.

It's causing me untold stress at the moment. I'm currently back in the UK and no-one knows what will happen if I want/have to return to Germany next year instead of this year. Germany's handling of the residency issue has been chaotic, with different regions doings things differently. Where I live, I have no official paperwork yet to say I have residency in Germany, even though it's automatic for me, and the German border police have been told to accept other kinds of evidence, such as bank statements or health insurance as proof for us to be allowed back. I will be driving, so as far as I can tell, if I drive after the 31st I will get a Schengen stamp upon entry to France but no-one knows how I can get this removed on arrival in Germany, not even the French immigration officials I spoke to.

I will never forgive the bastards that have inflicted this on us.

sorry to hear that Timmi. similar story here. I'm personally ok but I know others who are in a potentially dire situation.

btw Timmi - did the German government provide temporary 'grace' visas? or are you still in the dark? the problem this end is that they changed the residency permits and it isn't clear if you can leave the country and re-enter on a UK passport if you are on an old padron residency permit.

btw Timmi - did the German government provide temporary 'grace' visas? or are you still in the dark? the problem this end is that they changed the residency permits and it isn't clear if you can leave the country and re-enter on a UK passport if you are on an old padron residency permit.
I think it depends where you are, Frankfurt seems to be a lot better and has committed to sending out a temporary document before the end of the year. Wiesbaden....not so much. I heard of one person who has an interview arranged with the immigration office in February. It's a shambles. I'm planning to move to Lisbon next year and was able to get my residency papers sorted in less than a week there.

Rumours again the are close to a brexit deal. But the talk is they've given up fishing rights so french can fish in uk waters.

If so this is hilarious ?. Just like when joined on 1970s, gave up fishing for free access to common market.

Lead by clowns ? - except clowns are half way useful.

Of course I feel sorry for our friends from the British Isles - but I have to admit it does look kinda entertaining from this side of the Channel :p

If so this is hilarious ?. Just like when joined on 1970s, gave up fishing for free access to common market.

Exactly. The real ? are all the fishermen in Cornwall & Devon who voted for Brexit believing they'd get anything more than the slimmest of improvements in the status quo. Running the elderly expats in the Costa del Sol who can't afford Health Insurance and have to come back a close second !

It's better than no deal, but let's remind ourselves that this is the only time in history a nation has deliberately set out to negotiate a far worse trade deal than it had already. What a joke of a country we have become. ? Oh well, must be time to get stuck into the Christmas booze! ????

This happens?

If you haven't been a permanent resident paying Spanish tax for 5 years I believe so, yes ! Failed to grasp the difficulty of getting health insurance when you're in your dotage but despite living in Spain still thought Brexit was a good idea ?‍♂️

Back