#Brexit

my only reservation about ref2 is how you phrase the question - because a simple in/out doesn't resolve all the ambiguity from last time and more than one question might not get you over 50%. If you ask people to choose between staying and the deal, the ultras will complain they have no option to vote for, so how do you get round this?

my only reservation about ref2 is how you phrase the question - because a simple in/out doesn't resolve all the ambiguity from last time and more than one question might not get you over 50%. If you ask people to choose between staying and the deal, the ultras will complain they have no option to vote for, so how do you get round this?

Do you accept this deal that has been negotiated?
accept
reject

That should at least focus any campaign on facts, and not some airy fairy promises on the side of buses.

in any case, we'll then be requiring MPs to see it thru... again.

but if people rejected it, you've got no way of knowing why. In the commons, you have the Rees-Mogg lot and most of Labour all lining up on the same side but for diametrically opposing reasons

I think forget referendums. A50 needs to be revoked by the gov right now on the grounds that it presents a potential legal & logistical emergency the country is not prepared for and that there is no agreed path forward. Until there is one, then stick with what you have.

christ, you wanna leave this in hands of the public again?

Indeed -- part of the reason for having a representative government is that your representatives should be smarter and more knowledgeable than the general populous, and therefore better able to make decisions that are in the best interest of the country.

At the start, I sort of hoped Parliament would have voted to say "We heard the people, we thank you for your input, but you all made a terrible choice for the long-term good of the country so we're keeping the UK in the European Union anyway."

However, as the months have gone on, I think the Government has rather lost any standing of being smarter and more knowledgeable.

In the commons, you have the Rees-Mogg lot and most of Labour all lining up on the same side but for diametrically opposing reasons

and there lies the problem.
This'll be the end of 2 party politics.
Shame more don't join the Independent Group.
The Tories have run out of leaders, and Labour have been hijacked by the looney fringe.

so what do the brits on here think of the current situation? what will be the end game?

I've asked myself recently, if there was a second referendum (unlikely I know), would 'leave' still win it?
Exactly my thoughts... What about a new vote now the people know a little bit more about what could happen with the leave vote?

and there lies the problem.
This'll be the end of 2 party politics.
Shame more don't join the Independent Group.
The Tories have run out of leaders, and Labour have been hijacked by the looney fringe.

The Independent group are a bunch of fuds though, if you look at some of the things the individuals have stood for. An end to 2 party politics and a greater representation of a broader range of opinion wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing imo.

I don't have much interest in politics and that may have come across previously. So as much as i like to bury my head in the sand about all this, I do take some comfort in that no matter how bad it gets, conditions aren't going to get as bad as some countries. The majority of us will still have homes and jobs, just Britain ain't as smug as what it was hundreds of years ago.

petition to revoke A50 - sign and share wide. It might not be too late to force another vote

Signed this earlier, just clicked in to have a look at the latest, wow, that tally is zooming after todays nonsense!

petition to revoke A50 - sign and share wide. It might not be too late to force another vote

I signed last night at 140k. That's got to be the quickest petition in history.
I'll be at the march on Saturday as well.

===

So as it stands, we're now 8 days away.

Back