Balearic, Chill Out & Sunset Music

Revisited this last night for first time in years. the whole album is a masterpiece but the final sequence Mother Earth often gets overlooked. A definite sundown (or sunrise?) moment

Spain has its own version of TOTP 2 called Cachitos on La 2 channel which often takes over an evening schedule. It often requires wading through endless nostalgic clips of kitsch crooners, long forgotten holiday eurobeat and flamenco no-hopers (complete with all the amusingly sarcy captions too) but occasionally you come across a real gem by Elkin & Nelson, Barrabas, Cerrone or in this case Trinita. I do have this on a mix somewhere but had no idea who it was.

More gems from the 80's pile

Anne Clark - Poem Without Words 1 - The Third Meeting (1987)

Was (Not Was) ft. Frank Sinatra, Jr. - Wedding Vows In Vegas (1988)

Coincidentally, in other Mancuso news, one of the guys involved with Lucky Cloud in London (which I know Robder of this parish is/was also involved in) has moved to Spain and has started some quarterly secret parties based on the whole Loft experience. For a country where sound isn't always er prioritised, this is fantastic news.

*I love that Anne Clark 12 btw

30 years since Arthur Russell departed this life.
Love this 13 minutes version of In The Light of The Miracle which was produced in 1982 but only got released after his death.

I think it had all the ingredients to become an early house classic.
According to his bio he got caught up in the recording process, plus some poor business decisions were made:

"Arthur worked forever on 'In the Light of the Miracle'," says Tom Lee. "He loved that song and I loved it, too. We both thought that is was brilliant and that Will would put it out, but there were these other distractions."

Luckily it ended up on a superb Soul Jazz Records compilation early 2000 which is still readily available these days.

30 years since Arthur Russell departed this life.
Love this 13 minutes version of In The Light of The Miracle which was produced in 1982 but only got released after his death.

I think it had all the ingredients to become an early house classic.
According to his bio he got caught up in the recording process, plus some poor business decisions were made:

"Arthur worked forever on 'In the Light of the Miracle'," says Tom Lee. "He loved that song and I loved it, too. We both thought that is was brilliant and that Will would put it out, but there were these other distractions."

Luckily it ended up on a superb Soul Jazz Records compilation early 2000 which is still readily available these days.
Nice bit of history there, thanks

I first heard Stop Bajon on the Balearic Mastercuts vol 1 CD years ago. One of those "never leaves my bag" get out of jail cards for any struggling DJ. One of the most fun records to ever emerge from Italy, in a very crowded field.

One of the most fun records to ever emerge from Italy, in a very crowded field.

On that tip...playing at a Tuscan wedding in the summer (hopefully) so keen to know of anything else you have that fits that bill....part of the reason why stop bajon came out again!

On that tip...playing at a Tuscan wedding in the summer (hopefully) so keen to know of anything else you have that fits that bill....part of the reason why stop bajon came out again!

ooh sounds wonderful

a few off top of head, some more wedding friendly than others

Izit - Stories
William Pitt - City Lights
The Chaplin Band - il veliero
Laura Branigan / RAF - 2 great versions of Self Control
Pino D'Angio - Ma Quale Idea
Gaz Nevada - IC Love Affair
Tony Esposito - Kalimba de Luna (loads of other great Esposito releases)
Gary Low - You are a danger
Lucio Battisti - Amarsi un po
BWH - Stop
Adriano celentano - prisencolinensinainciusol (had to look up spelling!)

Also this collection of Botin edits is a bit more obscure but good fun too, my fave >

Back