Ask the PT

How long have you been doing the run, Ollie?

In January I started running and was in constant pain after each run, I asked the same question as you on the running club thread. Now I only get the nice ache type feeling knowing you have done something worthwhile to the muscles. I'm sure it is just conditioning, maybe try going for more than one run per week and the pains will soon go away.

Do you have some decent running shoes?

Asics, aren't they the standard? :lol:
I have only done a couple this month since september last year. I can run on a treadmill for 30 mins no problem, I don't know if it is because I am running on roads and my legs don't like the shock? Or maybe only running 20 mins and working up would be better? Even last year running 2-3 times a week I still had after pains in the lower parts of my legs. Maybe I am just a pussy :D

Any advice for how to stop my legs hurting after running

Stretch (BEFORE & AFTER) (especially now you know where you ache)

Adopt a better running posture - slouching leads to an inefficient stride, and you'll more likely get injured.

Heart Rate Monitor - if you havent got one, buy one - having a record of your runs/exercise, is great in seeing how you have progressed.

Footwear. These are my views, and based on my own experience over the last 24months...

Funnily enough was 2 years this friday I started to run again after 8 years of inactivity, what stopped me before was shin splints.

I had gait analysis, and discovered my right foot over pronated slightly, so I plumped for a pair of mild stability shoes (Brooks Infiniti2 - I prefer more 'feel' in my shoes and hate too much of a marshmallow feeling on my feet).

Completed a 10K a month later in a PB - then ran a Half Marathon that Oct, and got to 10miles before cramp stopped me in my tracks, finished in 2hrs30+

Entered New York Half Marathon - started winter training and they say to have at least 2 pairs of shoes on rotation, so I bought a pair of Asics Gel Kayano 16 (top of the line 'stability' shoes. Managed 3 weeks of training, going well, until the 2nd hill session I had, my IT Band(s) flared up. 2 months of physio, pain, more pain, self rolling, I started NY in the Brooks, and got to 10miles again, before IT trouble stopped me from running. Limped home in 2:23.

Last year was **** for me runningwise, 2 more 10Ks, in ok times. Physios cost ££'s, then while I was watching Spurs on Tv, I noticed loads of black tape on Bales back - did some investigation, KinesioTape - (look it up) - started taping IT Band in training, had another Half in Brum last Oct.

Didnt feel a twinge, although race was a disaster, as I picked up a virus, which may have explained both quads cramping at the same time after mile 7! (this run was also in the Brooks)

After taking 3 months off, I entered the Brighton Half. Bought myself a pair of Brooks Ravenna 3 (positioned as a 'motion controlled' shoe - between neutral and mild support).

Taped up, did new stretching routine (targeting the glutes, and hip), positive mindset, ran to a target heart rate (I knew roughly where my lactate threshold was) and hey presto a time of 2hr04min.

Now I'm working on running stride, efficiency, and have switched to a pair of shoes which have a lower heel drop and less 'support' on reading some running blogs of athletes who had IT Band issues while wearing 'support' shoes to something more minimal, which encourage a more natural running stride - mid/forefoot striking as opposed to a heel strike. landing on the mid/forefoot helps spread the impact across your feet. just remember how small an area the heel is, and all that energy will end up going back up your leg.

4 weeks later in these new shoes (Brooks Green Silence) and NO Tape - I can run faster for longer, no shin splints, my glutes feel like they actually have been used, ankles and calfs feel a bit sore, but thats part of this transition - groin isn't as tight as it was in the old shoes, not even a twinge in the quads/knees.

Will find out how this pans out in a race situation at the end of May.

TOO much support in my opinion, is counter productive, you are born to run a certain way - off your mid/forefoot - not off your heel. and I would advise to buy a pair of shoes which allow you to do so. dont confuse cushioning with support.

I also find a good deep tissue/sports massage every month helps in releasing the tension thats built up in my IT Band and Calf muscles.

http://sock-doc.com/
http://strengthrunning.com/2011/01/it-band-injury/
http://birthdayshoes.com/marathoner...oston-marathon-in-his-vibram-five-finger-ksos

;)

8)

Stretch (BEFORE & AFTER) (especially now you know where you ache)

Adopt a better running posture - slouching leads to an inefficient stride, and you'll more likely get injured.

Heart Rate Monitor - if you havent got one, buy one - having a record of your runs/exercise, is great in seeing how you have progressed.

Footwear. These are my views, and based on my own experience over the last 24months...

Funnily enough was 2 years this friday I started to run again after 8 years of inactivity, what stopped me before was shin splints.

I had gait analysis, and discovered my right foot over pronated slightly, so I plumped for a pair of mild stability shoes (Brooks Infiniti2 - I prefer more 'feel' in my shoes and hate too much of a marshmallow feeling on my feet).

Completed a 10K a month later in a PB - then ran a Half Marathon that Oct, and got to 10miles before cramp stopped me in my tracks, finished in 2hrs30+

Entered New York Half Marathon - started winter training and they say to have at least 2 pairs of shoes on rotation, so I bought a pair of Asics Gel Kayano 16 (top of the line 'stability' shoes. Managed 3 weeks of training, going well, until the 2nd hill session I had, my IT Band(s) flared up. 2 months of physio, pain, more pain, self rolling, I started NY in the Brooks, and got to 10miles again, before IT trouble stopped me from running. Limped home in 2:23.

Last year was **** for me runningwise, 2 more 10Ks, in ok times. Physios cost ££'s, then while I was watching Spurs on Tv, I noticed loads of black tape on Bales back - did some investigation, KinesioTape - (look it up) - started taping IT Band in training, had another Half in Brum last Oct.

Didnt feel a twinge, although race was a disaster, as I picked up a virus, which may have explained both quads cramping at the same time after mile 7! (this run was also in the Brooks)

After taking 3 months off, I entered the Brighton Half. Bought myself a pair of Brooks Ravenna 3 (positioned as a 'motion controlled' shoe - between neutral and mild support).

Taped up, did new stretching routine (targeting the glutes, and hip), positive mindset, ran to a target heart rate (I knew roughly where my lactate threshold was) and hey presto a time of 2hr04min.

Now I'm working on running stride, efficiency, and have switched to a pair of shoes which have a lower heel drop and less 'support' on reading some running blogs of athletes who had IT Band issues while wearing 'support' shoes to something more minimal, which encourage a more natural running stride - mid/forefoot striking as opposed to a heel strike. landing on the mid/forefoot helps spread the impact across your feet. just remember how small an area the heel is, and all that energy will end up going back up your leg.

4 weeks later in these new shoes (Brooks Green Silence) and NO Tape - I can run faster for longer, no shin splints, my glutes feel like they actually have been used, ankles and calfs feel a bit sore, but thats part of this transition - groin isn't as tight as it was in the old shoes, not even a twinge in the quads/knees.

Will find out how this pans out in a race situation at the end of May.

TOO much support in my opinion, is counter productive, you are born to run a certain way - off your mid/forefoot - not off your heel. and I would advise to buy a pair of shoes which allow you to do so. dont confuse cushioning with support.

I also find a good deep tissue/sports massage every month helps in releasing the tension thats built up in my IT Band and Calf muscles.

http://sock-doc.com/
http://strengthrunning.com/2011/01/it-band-injury/
http://birthdayshoes.com/marathoner...oston-marathon-in-his-vibram-five-finger-ksos

;)

8)

You are way too technical for me :lol:;)

I just bought a pink pair of trainers I liked the look of off the internet and just started running :oops::lol:

That's a decent time too on the marathon there.

If you're going into technique, you're best going to a running coach. Running is all about efficiency.

I am not pro long distance running, as I believe you can do things in a far more effective manner, whilst keeping the body fresh and ache free.

You are way too technical for me :lol:;)

I just bought a pink pair of trainers I liked the look of off the internet and just started running :oops::lol:

Sometimes you get lucky with the right footwear ;)

All the forensic info I gather from running fails, help me eliminate potential risks, so I can concentrate and just run, without worrying which part of my body is gonna pack up on me next :lol:

Running quick is all about confidence in being able to do so. I've had enough of shuffling along at 9-10min/mile pace for the effort my heart is giving me.

I wanna get near Toms Half pace. :lol:

I am not pro long distance running, as I believe you can do things in a far more effective manner, whilst keeping the body fresh and ache free.

See I LOVE long distance running and what the body can do - my target next year is to run an Ultra :lol:

Horses for courses, I'd be bored senseless in a gym, whereas I know lots of people can't think of anything more boring than pounding the miles outside.

I've only 4mins to find. :eek: :lol:

has he always run at that pace? or is it a gradual thing?

I think part of it is that it does come naturally to him - the first half marathon he ran about 8 months after starting running, he ran in about 1:42. He takes the Kenyan approach to training (well that's what he tells me :lol:) - he just goes out and runs and see how he feels, whereas I always want to make him running spreadsheet and charts and the like :lol:

It's only really this year that he's started to take it 'really' seriously though ie no more joints, so I know he's on for up-ping his game even more :eek:

I think part of it is that it does come naturally to him - the first half marathon he ran about 8 months after starting running, he ran in about 1:42. He takes the Kenyan approach to training (well that's what he tells me :lol:) - he just goes out and runs and see how he feels, whereas I always want to make him running spreadsheet and charts and the like :lol:

It's only really this year that he's started to take it 'really' seriously though ie no more joints, so I know he's on for up-ping his game even more :eek:

a friend of mine (in his 40's) has really improved since joining a club, and has been told that based on a couple of half marathon times he's just run he can get a sub 3hr time (and no more ballots).

his cabinet is slowly filling up with top 3 trophies :lol: (always has at least one new one to show me, when I'm round there).

He also said, when you reach that level where you are challenging the club runners, it gets pretty ruthless, elbows, deliberate clashing of legs, anything to get an advantage. a far cry from the encouraging pep talks you get at the back of the pack. :lol:

Back