Any new parties next year?

How anyone can get excited about anything at Pacha is beyond me. Hate that club and the hangers on who know nothing about music and pose and chat on the dancefloor it attracts. Give me DC-10 or Sankeys any day of the week.

Agreed. Place has a small dancefloor and stadium seating vip. I feel like "EDM" artists belong there more than guys like Maceo Plex.

maceo plex music fits pacha more

Hmmmm. Disagree. Pacha is (or at least was) Luciano's club. I've heard the Maceo rumours... but I'm just not feeling it tbh, and I'm a huge fan of both him and Pacha. Maceo much better suited to the Amnesia terrace, or a packed out DC10 terrace, or a - you guessed it - Space terrace!

Not that I wouldn't be intrigued by the prospect of seeing him play at Pacha... We'll wait and see. Would love to see him in Space Main Room, actually, but maybe his musical style doesn't fit ENTER.Main well enough. Perhaps under his Maetrik moniker?

Interesting to see what new nights Sankeys have? With Luciano and Defected not following through. Really thought Sankeys would get some island big hitters this year.

Hmmmm. Disagree. Pacha is (or at least was) Luciano's club. I've heard the Maceo rumours... but I'm just not feeling it tbh, and I'm a huge fan of both him and Pacha. Maceo much better suited to the Amnesia terrace, or a packed out DC10 terrace, or a - you guessed it - Space terrace!

Not that I wouldn't be intrigued by the prospect of seeing him play at Pacha... We'll wait and see. Would love to see him in Space Main Room, actually, but maybe his musical style doesn't fit ENTER.Main well enough. Perhaps under his Maetrik moniker?

pacha would be gr8 for him.

but i dont know is pachas floor the smallest?

I know it's just rumours at the moment but judging from the most consistent rumours there is just no place for maceo plex at pacha. only possibility is sharing the friday with MK or he is replacing solomun on sundays, but both is unlikely. but then again I can only rely on rumours here.
I'm not a big fan of midcarders doing their own residencies, it splits our scene too much and dilutes the lineups. Can't say I would be too happy about dice, tale of us, innervision and maceo plex starting their own parties. Hope Dubfire and Apollonia are not thinking about this, though they are much bigger than tale of us and plex IMHO.

I disagree about dubfire being bigger than TOU or plex and both tale as well as maceo are certainly 'hotter' artists right now.

I totally agree with you though regarding all those acts having their own nights not being a great idea.

So long as their parties offer something different, I don't think it matters how big an act is (or isn't). I mean, look at Amine Edge & DANCE. They keep getting brought up on these forums. They launched their own party last year, and it seems they will be returning in 2015. Are they huge? Arguably not, I would say. But they attract and appeal to a crowd that nobody else really caters for.

Whether or not any parties will survive... that's another matter entirely, I guess.

Electronic music by it's very definition is pioneering and forward-thinking.

Brands and concepts will come and go.

Maybe last year's formula of residencies within a residency were the precursor to something new. Or maybe it will be an all-out explosion of newly nights that simply will not work. I think club programmers should worry more about how many nights are too similar to each other, as opposed to who is appearing where. Although, granted, both often go hand-in-hand.

Apollonia are to busy touring their album to do a big residency surely? even if it's a while till the season kicks off they must be looking more long term to do their own thing just yet. I'd prefer it if they did more of the same as last summer, few one off's in a few clubs. Still remember the Apollonia showcase in DC in my first summer, was soon good!

As for Maceo and Tale of Us are concerned for me, they are definatly well on the way to getting a night somewhere but again like Apollonia I think they should stick to the same as last year. Even though Tale of Us on a friday at DC would be a peach as I don't work Saturdays ;)

I've heard that Eats Everything might be having his own event somewhere this year also, hope to see that work out as will be a good alternative.

Apollonia are to busy touring their album to do a big residency surely? even if it's a while till the season kicks off they must be looking more long term to do their own thing just yet. I'd prefer it if they did more of the same as last summer, few one off's in a few clubs. Still remember the Apollonia showcase in DC in my first summer, was soon good!

As for Maceo and Tale of Us are concerned for me, they are definatly well on the way to getting a night somewhere but again like Apollonia I think they should stick to the same as last year. Even though Tale of Us on a friday at DC would be a peach as I don't work Saturdays ;)

I've heard that Eats Everything might be having his own event somewhere this year also, hope to see that work out as will be a good alternative.

Don't know why all these people think they can have their own night. I imagine a lot is just rumours, if not then promoters and clubs are obviously unable to learn from mistakes.

Like someone said above... These guys are midcarders but are fairly 'hot' right now but hardly, in my opinion, have the fan base to have their own night.

Don't know why all these people think they can have their own night. I imagine a lot is just rumours, if not then promoters and clubs are obviously unable to learn from mistakes.

Like someone said above... These guys are midcarders but are fairly 'hot' right now but hardly, in my opinion, have the fan base to have their own night.

It's a fair point. But aren't you always going to be "midcarder" unless you step out of your comfort zone and see what you can achieve on your own?

Richie, Sven, Coxy... they were all wet-behind-ears, earning their dues at some point in their career. I say let these acts take the plunge. If they stand-out on their own two feet, great. If they sink, well, lesson learned I guess. Got keep pushin' on. Gotta try new things.

Rather Maceo or Tale of Us step out on their own with some kind of following, than a 2-bob promoter from London who's got lucky and landed an Ibiza residency (and let's face it, there's a few of those at the moment!)

To sound like a boring accountant, I think it will come down to a simple P&L (Profit & Loss) Statement in terms of if these nights succeed or not. If say TOU have just a one-room night at DC10 on a Friday and just say 8 weeks.... Then they hardly have to fill the place to 3,000+ like Marco at Amnesia and MK at Pacha have to over 18-20 weeks!

The key I guess is don't take on too big a venue or a 20 week residency!

In 2013 Guy Gerber / WOTG at Pacha averaged (I think) 2,000+ over the season (going from an old Steve Hulme interview in DMC). If that had been at DC10 or Sankeys it would have been a massive success, but it simply didn't fill Pacha enough and make enough money or fit their VIP culture too.

Luciano, Solomun and MK can fill a venue with A) 17 year olds who have blagged their way taken a pill and have €10 to last the rest of the night and b) punters who want table / bottle service (I'm not using that V word) .... They like good music but also happen to be minted. That's why the three above suit Pacha like a glove, and make the accountants happy at the same time!

^^^ Absolutely.

Could Gerber's recent love-in with Puffy be an attempt to get more of "that kind of crowd" onboard do we think???

^^^ Absolutely.

Could Gerber's recent love-in with Puffy be an attempt to get more of "that kind of crowd" onboard do we think???

Maybe! I love Gerber, but I think he's got it spot on at BeachHouse every Sunday.

Out of interest (@stivi or others may know)..... Do the likes of tINI and Guy get any fee for their beach parties.... Or just use of the venue and a % of the takings maybe?

Out of interest (@stivi or others may know)..... Do the likes of tINI and Guy get any fee for their beach parties.... Or just use of the venue and a % of the takings maybe?

I don't know whether they get a fixed fee or a % of the takings, but they definitely get something out of it...

btw - no way guy gerber did 2000 per date on average at pacha in 2013. agreed though, beachhouse is a perfect fit for him.

I disagree about dubfire being bigger than TOU or plex and both tale as well as maceo are certainly 'hotter' artists right now.

I totally agree with you though regarding all those acts having their own nights not being a great idea.

Agree. I think TOU and Maceo is a much larger draw than Dubfire and probably Appollonia. I think a Life and Death party at DC10 would be packed out week after week. Maceo Plex needs a bigger "brand" or label before he can have a summer long residence imo.

Back