World Cup 2018 & 2022

tempej.jpg

:(

Whatever China is coming baby.

Football well a lot of english clubs think you need to crack China as they have billions of fans over there. Yes there are plenty of people but they are not coming over here to watch any games and spend any money in the club shop. Most people in China earn about 5p a year. If they want a replica shirt they will make it themselves.

The things is with World Cups, alot of the countries rely on the English, German and Dutch fans etc as they bring thousands and they all like a sauce so local towns business cash in. Places like Qatar you won't get any fans going only Mick Jagger and Richard Branson. They won't want sunburnt Sunderland fans rolling around pissed in Qatar high street. Ashley Cole won't be allowed in either.

The whole voting thing stinks but there is an argument Russia deserved a chance as it has footballing history but Qatar? I do think though with the Ukraine and Poland having the Euros that should have been taken into consideration on the fans travelling. Where is the euros after that? Has that been announced?

I saw that the stadiums in South Africa after the world cup were having attendances of 1000! One of them was used as a bungee centre or something.:lol:

The things is with World Cups, alot of the countries rely on the English, German and Dutch fans etc as they bring thousands and they all like a sauce so local towns business cash in.
The USA brought the largest contingent after England at this past World Cup ;)

I saw thousands upon thousands of Brazilians too. My flight from Abu Dhabi to Joburg was packed with Algerians. All depends are where it is geographically, I suppose... but don't overestimate your importance!

The whole voting thing stinks but there is an argument Russia deserved a chance as it has footballing history but Qatar? I do think though with the Ukraine and Poland having the Euros that should have been taken into consideration on the fans travelling. Where is the euros after that? Has that been announced
Consideration of which fans traveling? I've heard this argument a lot but you've got to remember that for other people, it's more convenient. I bet most of Eastern Europe is loving that they can drive/train it to the Euros. Russia is right in the middle for Europe and Asia... not so convenient to the Americas (Qatar too, btw). Brazil will be great for the Americas, not so much for Europe & Asia.

I saw that the stadiums in South Africa after the world cup were having attendances of 1000! One of them was used as a bungee centre or something.:lol:
I bet the ones in towns like Polokwane, Nelspruit and Rustenburg will be falling apart in a few years :confused: The others in Joburg, Capetown, Bloemfontein, Durban - they'll get proper use.

the world cup (like clubbing and the olympics and pubs and everything else I grew up regarding with affection) is slowly being strangled by greed

am thinking maybe the elite nations should defect to form their own alternative world cup maybe restricting it to the Europeans and South Americans

Wouldn't be the "world cup" then, would it?

Although I could see why you'd want to leave out the North Americans. England might actually top its group next time around :lol:

Wouldn't be the "world cup" then, would it?

Although I could see why you'd want to leave out the North Americans. England might actually top its group next time around :lol:

I have no partisan allegiance to any nation - I challenge you to find any post of mine whether I supported that bunch of mutants.

I just miss the classic world cups before the greed took over and before certain countries starting fielding naturalised players just so they could compete with the big boys. That kind of cynicism and the lack of any kind of football heritage in those kinds of countries kills the romance for me.

I just miss the classic world cups before the greed took over and before certain countries starting fielding naturalised players just so they could compete with the big boys. That kind of cynicism and the lack of any kind of football heritage in those kinds of countries kills the romance for me.
Examples?

Surely, you don't want to say that countries like, let's say, Cameroon or Nigeria lack football heritage? (you left Africa off your original list).

But are you also saying that people born in, for example, French Guyana shouldn't be playing for France? It's an insular territory of the country.

The USA is a country of immigrants (with a long football history, by the way... not too much achievement though :lol:) so how many generations are we talking before it's OK?

Back