World Cup 2018 & 2022

Examples?

Surely, you don't want to say that countries like, let's say, Cameroon or Nigeria lack football heritage? (you left Africa off your original list).

But are you also saying that people born in, for example, French Guyana shouldn't be playing for France? It's an insular territory of the country.

The USA is a country of immigrants (with a long football history, by the way... not too much achievement though :lol:) so how many generations are we talking before it's OK?

No you misunderstood me. I'm talking about countries fielding players who simply changed passports overnight because they were bought. Japan and Croatia have fielded Brazilians. Merlene Ottey representing Slovenia in the olympics - just for money. All of that leads us on a slippery slope imo

yeah, ok my argument comes unstuck with the Africans. What I'm getting at is i'm just wary of the game going to new territories where there is no history of the game and no grainy footage from the past. It's a sentimental game and the real battle always default to the struggle between south american flair and european strategy and that's how it should be, because that's what most of us grew up on.

the world cup (like clubbing and the olympics and pubs and everything else I grew up regarding with affection) is slowly being strangled by greed

am thinking maybe the elite nations should defect to form their own alternative world cup maybe restricting it to the Europeans and South Americans

Talking about "elites"; Germany caught cheating:

The day in 1982 when the world wept for Algeria

In the 1982 World Cup in Spain Algeria shone – before being sent home by one of the most cynical ploys ever to disfigure the competition

It was the best of times, it was one of the worst of footballing crimes. On their first appearance at the World Cup, Algeria made an impact that changed the tournament forever. They produced one of the most exhilarating performances to defeat one of the favourites, West Germany, but were then sabotaged by one of sport's most blatant cases of match-fixing.

The 1982 World Cup had opened with a surprise, the holders Argentina losing 1-0 to Belgium, but a far bigger shock was to follow. In the first match of Group 2, the mighty West Germany would surely crush the unknown novices from Algeria. That, at any rate, was the German attitude.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/jun/13/1982-world-cup-algeria

The USA brought the largest contingent after England at this past World Cup ;)

I saw thousands upon thousands of Brazilians too. My flight from Abu Dhabi to Joburg was packed with Algerians. All depends are where it is geographically, I suppose... but don't overestimate your importance!

Consideration of which fans traveling? I've heard this argument a lot but you've got to remember that for other people, it's more convenient. I bet most of Eastern Europe is loving that they can drive/train it to the Euros. Russia is right in the middle for Europe and Asia... not so convenient to the Americas (Qatar too, btw). Brazil will be great for the Americas, not so much for Europe & Asia.

I bet the ones in towns like Polokwane, Nelspruit and Rustenburg will be falling apart in a few years :confused: The others in Joburg, Capetown, Bloemfontein, Durban - they'll get proper use

It will always going to be the way.

Brazilians get everywhere, great support. Not sure how many of them actually travel from Brazil for the matches but I know when they play at the Emirates they always bang it out mind you they are not all Brazilians. No overestimating the importance of just the English but is is a fact that they are good drinkers and spenders as are the dutch and germans. Not just all about the comfy seats is it?;)

Most of eastern europe is overhere Morbs so it will be more of a pain for them to travel back. How many teams from Asia qualify and how many from Europe? How many of them Asia countries will bring big support?

It was always going to happen to the grounds sadly.

Brazilians get everywhere, great support. Not sure how many of them actually travel from Brazil for the matches but I know when they play at the Emirates they always bang it out mind you they are not all Brazilians. No overestimating the importance of just the English but is is a fact that they are good drinkers and spenders as are the dutch and germans. Not just all about the comfy seats is it?;)

Most of eastern europe is overhere Morbs so it will be more of a pain for them to travel back. How many teams from Asia qualify and how many from Europe? How many of them Asia countries will bring big support?
I assure you there are more Eastern Europeans in Eastern Europe than in England :lol:

The Brazilians in South Africa had a constant party going on Nelson Mandela Sq. in Sandton. I'm sure they spent as much as anyone else! I think you're fooling yourselves if you think you're the only ones who spend money on a trip.

In fact, considering the game's origins as a working man's sport in England, I'd bet the average World Cup visitor from poorer nations spends more, because it's usually the well-healed who travel (and nothing to do with comfy seats)

True re: number of teams that qualify. But also keep in mind that it's only a 3.5 hour flight London-Moscow. Shorter than a trip to Turkey or Greece, for example.

I don't think we are the only ones at all Morbs. Look at the thousands dutch, brazilians and germans as previously said that follow their team. Like you say the US took plenty there but they have all got coin anyway. The 'real' Americans I met in Dallas this year don't watch that 'faggot sh1t' as they called it!:lol:

The game unfortunately no longer belongs to the working class man. You only have to go to Highbury and see all the Nick Hornby readers there. Also the conversation between the two Chelsea 'fans' asking if there was a Starbucks inside the ground. There isn't in the away end anyway but not sure about the home end. Morbs please confirm?:lol:

England maybe but I still don't believe there are more Eastern Europeans in Eastern Europe than there is in Eastern London.:lol:

I don't think we are the only ones at all Morbs. Look at the thousands dutch, brazilians and germans as previously said that follow their team. Like you say the US took plenty there but they have all got coin anyway. The 'real' Americans I met in Dallas this year don't watch that 'faggot sh1t' as they called it!:lol:

Dallas is not american it is Texas. I would say 10 years ago that was the vast american opinion. Now we have stadium full to see exhibition game from the world tops teams. albeit with some rich ****ers who don't have a clue

The 'real' Americans I met in Dallas this year don't watch that 'faggot sh1t' as they called it!:lol:
Jay makes a good point. I totally forgot. Chelsea played Club America in a packed 80000-seat Dallas Cowboys stadium a couple of summer ago. :!:

And there's an MLS team, FC Dallas (although they play in a smaller stadium)
:p

D'Oh!!!! :lol:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/9415416.stm

Why can't the police get involved investigating this sh*t?

From the bbc programme the other night, it would appear there would be a shed load of clerical evidence. Get one of them squealing and the whole house of cards would come crashing down, they would be singing like canaries.
Yes, apparently there is clerical evidence of corrupt dealings... only it's within the UK government and English FA :lol:

Back