Women in dance music...discuss!

in my experience at least, sexism isn't an issue at all
lol. I don't know you, or what job you do, but do you get the irony of a man saying what you've said there ?

I just think sexism (and racism, and most other isms tbf) is so ingrained into society as a whole, that us men (or white ppl, etc) do have to force the balance sometimes, to make a change to 'the way things are'

Ole Trump just yesterday, with his comments to the French PM's wife (and all his previous sexist shit tbf) shows how the world allows us men to get away with treating women. And we are all guilty of it to an extent.

As you say, it's complex, and I'm genuinely not trying to be antagonistic, but when a person in the majority says of prejudice towards a minority ; 'in my experience it's not an issue', I'm not sure it really helps anyone

You've deliberately cut off the next words in the sentence there to take it totally out of context.

I said sexism isn't an issue in dance music, behind the scenes.

As I also said, a lot of the most powerful people in dance music are women.

Most importantly though, it doesn't matter. These people got to where they did through hard work and skill. Nothing to do with their gender.

and re women being in positions of power, arguably the two most powerful people in European politics are women, yet it doesn't stop Trump saying what he said

This is somthing that crossed my mind the other day, I'm attending a festival next month, I realised there is only going to be 3 female DJ's out of the 70+ playing, I understand the scene is overflown with dudes, but I can think of a least of a dozen female acts that would fit the billing for this festival.

I'm not sure we're quite on the same page here Darren.

Saying sexism isn't an issue behind the scenes in dance music, in my experience, is nothing to do with me being a man. I'm irrelevant in that - the vast number of women working in powerful positions in dance music is true regardless of me or my gender.

I agree that there are likely quite a few sexist people in dance music, that article you post cites one. But that doesn't mean dance music is institutionally sexist.

I'm not sure we're quite on the same page here Darren.

Saying sexism isn't an issue behind the scenes in dance music, in my experience, is nothing to do with me being a man. I'm irrelevant in that - the vast number of women working in powerful positions in dance music is true regardless of me or my gender.

I agree that there are likely quite a few sexist people in dance music, that article you post cites one. But that doesn't mean dance music is institutionally sexist.
I'm saying that society is institutionally sexist, and that as men, we can't possibly have a proper understanding of that.

Agreed on that. I was simply noting that behind the scenes in dance music it doesn't seem to be an issue, and as I say if we really want to pick bones you could say the reverse is sometimes true.

Taking things to women as DJs/producers, I'm often reminded of my other passion in life, Formula 1. The lack of female drivers is often cited as an issue, but what isn't often noted is that F1/motorsport in general is the only sport in the world that doesn't segregate men and women at any level. So much like in dance music, there's no rule to stop women being equal to men. But does that mean women aren't being given the same advantage? Hard to say really. Many would argue that the plight of female drivers has been negatively affected by over-zealous efforts to force women into top flight roles, with sub-par drivers being given opportunites thier experience and skill can't match, so it's one step forward two steps back. Much like with female DJs, a driver should be given a chance based on skill alone, their gender shouldn't come into it.

That's the real issue with sexism, by making gender an issue at all its making it worse for everyone. Not sure how much of an issue it is on a wider scale, and I think it's a little better than it was, but plenty of female DJs/producers are simply fronts, almost like manufacturered pop artists. This causes issues for genuine female DJs as it diminishes their achievements. I can't comment on the intentions of those behind such DJs, but I know one or two were "manufacturered" with no sexist intent, and plenty were manufactured by women.

Would be good to know who he's talking about and in what context.

I'll openly admit maybe I've just been lucky enough to not experience it first hand and am therefore ignorant to it.

That said I'm not about to list the companies/people I've worked with that show the exact opposite, but most / all have far more influence and importance than some morons talking shit in a crappy club in Bali.

Miss Kittin is playing the costa brava in a few weeks about a 10 min walk from my summer apartment! (with someone called claptone (?) )

I haven't really paid attention for the last 10 years - used to love her stuff with Felix da housecat but am guessing she's very different now DJ-wise

Last edited:
LoL forgot Nina of course. Her vinyl sets are great and car carcrash most times and she still loves the Rawness.

I'm not going to see someone because of their social media hype or if she's Carl Cox babysitter's Sister.....

Back