Who has booked 2021

That sucks. Best guess is we'll see reciprocal travel approved early to mid June with vaccine and neg pcr in hand.
I saw a news article that says there will be an announcement later this month with the expectation that travel resumes mid-May. Staying optimistic, but I also never imagined that they would keep things shut down like this for over a year!

It is what it is... My backup is kicking it in Mexico or Costa Rica for a month with some friends from here. I need to get off my tiny island (and away from work)!!!

I saw a news article that says there will be an announcement later this month with the expectation that travel resumes mid-May. Staying optimistic, but I also never imagined that they would keep things shut down like this for over a year!

It is what it is... My backup is kicking it in Mexico or Costa Rica for a month with some friends from here. I need to get off my tiny island (and away from work)!!!
I really hope that's the case! It's fairly stupid to continue blanket travel bans when there are ways to ensure safe travel.

I totally feel you on the need to GTFO and get away. Work has been nuts here too, very ready to not be dealing with anything for a while.

just saw this: https://www.majorcadailybulletin.co...87/spain-will-reopen-safely-tourism-june.html

Might be sooner, but it's looking like a June reboot for now.

France just announced they are welcoming US tourists in May: https://www.forbes.com/sites/carlie...cans-this-summer-macron-says/?sh=79e50eeb18e4

Might be sooner, but it's looking like a June reboot for now.

France just announced they are welcoming US tourists in May: https://www.forbes.com/sites/carlie...cans-this-summer-macron-says/?sh=79e50eeb18e4
I am hopeful. We are holding off on any decision until about May 15th. I can't read the Forbes article, as its behind the paywall.

Have you read the comments that come with that Majorca report?
Yes, locals seem pretty angry. Still, we had a lot less tools at our disposal last Jun/July when they reopened in 2020. A lot can happen in 2 months in terms of vaccinations of the over 60's.

Probably not as angry as mainland Spanish when Germans were allowed in first to Mallorca at the onset of a soaring third wave whilst they were still banned from travelling domestically !! Some of the dumbest decisions Governments have made of this pandemic arise in connection with travel !

understand your point, yet all those germans came with a negative PCR test and it hasn't turned in another wave here.

maybe this post is more for the general coronavirus thread, but anyway. with the current restrictions in place and the rising % of people who've either had covid or have now gotten the vaccine, we genuinely seem to be able to keep things under control. not just on the balearics (where we've been in a very favourable situation for over a month now), but in a lot of places in spain.

I'm with @CasaNegron here, similar as it's happened in the UK, the balearics will look good come june

I'm with @CasaNegron here, similar as it's happened in the UK, the balearics will look good come june

Really hope so. Lead time to a significant case uptick can be quite long though if last Summer is anything to go by. and the more flights that arrive the higher the risks/ Once the Season is underway it may be hard to interfere if things go the other way because the consequences will be so severe economically. ... I'm yet to be convinced flights are safe environment whether or not people have been tested beforehand >>

Last edited:
Really hope so. Lead time to a significant case uptick can be quite long though if last Summer is anything to go by.

understand you're doubtful and I respect that. but this summer is an entirely different situation, last year no PCR test was needed (gov't has admitted that was a mistake) and vaccines are here now. I am sure this summer will be significantly better and safer

understand you're doubtful and I respect that. but this summer is an entirely different situation, last year no PCR test was needed (gov't has admitted that was a mistake) and vaccines are here now. I am sure this summer will be significantly better and safer

Thats it. There is good delivery of vaccine in summer. If Im vaccinated , nothing is against a holiday. Or has someone a idea ?

Thats it. There is good delivery of vaccine in summer. If Im vaccinated , nothing is against a holiday. Or has someone a idea ?

If you are not concerned about variants there's no reason not to if you are out and about at home. Even fully vaccinated I would not go to a restaurant indoors or on public transport / through airports etc. at home or abroad and don;t see the point of going on holiday before 2022 after variant boosters and seeing their impact.

Let's face it countries reliant on tourism will be letting in droves of unvaccinated people with very little controls and the first we'll hear about any problems from that are likely once it's already too late. No amount of tests or current vaccines are going to halt variant transmission in Summer.

At home I have my own car, space, no public transport or standing in queues anywhere indoors etc so for me personally it's a huge turn-off to travel now. For others it's probably different and they'll already be eating out, going on buses etc at home so won't see anything really different going on holiday abroad.

If you are not concerned about variants there's no reason not to if you are out and about at home. Even fully vaccinated I would not go to a restaurant indoors or on public transport / through airports etc. at home or abroad and don;t see the point of going on holiday before 2022 after variant boosters and seeing their impact.

Let's face it countries reliant on tourism will be letting in droves of unvaccinated people with very little controls and the first we'll hear about any problems from that are likely once it's already too late. No amount of tests or current vaccines are going to halt variant transmission in Summer.

At home I have my own car, space, no public transport or standing in queues anywhere indoors etc so for me personally it's a huge turn-off to travel now. For others it's probably different and they'll already be eating out, going on buses etc at home so won't see anything really different going on holiday abroad.

Yeah , the variants . I forgot to write. But vaccination means in my opinion : Everyone had the offer to be vaccinated. If someone dont want to , its his problem. At any time this is the case in europe , so you dont need a vaccination passport. If we will have a problem with variants : Dont want to think about.

if you look at it that way, it might as well be 2025 before your first trip abroad...

As I see it (with my zero expertise) it looks like we've left the deadly zone for the containment zone, so whilst still cautious, I am optimistic that a few things can be salvaged from this summer. I'm fortunate as someone who gravitates to Sept visits anyway so time is on my side. Music is a big deal for me, but I'd be happy just to do bars (as I probably would in the old town anyway)

The question is whether a natural (almost irrational) caution will be applied to everything regardless in terms of how the authorities plan ahead. Certainly the impression I've had of the Spanish gov is that everything has been pretty slow until now, maybe that will change after May 9 when power is devolved back to the regions again but I have my doubts, especially when at a guess a maj of the young won't have yet been done.

Going deeper though, I have been wondering if people can just simply pick up from 2019 as though nothing ever happened or has there been any kind of psychological shift? Time will tell, but can people who have been depressed and withdrawn for over a year be expected to suddenly rediscover their clubbing/travelling mojo? I dunno, we're all guinea pigs in that sense. I certainly think this is where things get interesting in terms of how IBZ is marketed, moving forward.

Going deeper though, I have been wondering if people can just simply pick up from 2019 as though nothing ever happened or has there been any kind of psychological shift? Time will tell, but can people who have been depressed and withdrawn for over a year be expected to suddenly rediscover their clubbing/travelling mojo? I dunno, we're all guinea pigs in that sense. I certainly think this is where things get interesting in terms of how IBZ is marketed, moving forward.
The other interesting element is the 18-19y.o. demographic who have had their first (legal) taste of clubbing and independent holidaying denied

Where Ibiza is concerned, that audience always was getting increasingly priced out as it stood. Impressionable minds won't have had the bombardment of social media images from their immediately older peers, unlike their predecessors

if you look at it that way, it might as well be 2025 before your first trip abroad...

No not at all - there are likely a limited number of variants causing dominant outbreaks which need to run their course. It's barely been 12 months since the original strain caused lockdowns in Europe. Don't think it's unrealistic for key mutations impacting on dominant transmission to be covered off with vaccine solutions by next Summer or Autumn (2022). By then I think it should be feasible to travel without looking at everyone around you as someone likely to infect you !

There will be carnage in the 3rd World before then of course - but people there who don't die will develop natural resistance once dominant strains do enough of the rounds.

Going deeper though, I have been wondering if people can just simply pick up from 2019 as though nothing ever happened or has there been any kind of psychological shift?

Plenty will .. especially those who have been holding on to the thought of going again at the first opportunity. There will be others (like me probably) who have basically let go of the desire and having done so likely won't be back out there any time soon. Having managed to cope with a great deal less than I was used to, the drive to start over again is all but gone. Sure I would love to go if everything was back exactly as it was before. But it won;t be for a long time - and by then I may have other responsibilities that remove both the opportunity and much of the desire. Time will tell. I'm not even ready to eat out or meet anyone socially back home where cases are 4 per 100,000 - a year in virtual house arrest bar solo outings to a deserted coast has done damage to my desire to see other people it'll take years to fully reverse.

Last edited:
The other interesting element is the 18-19y.o. demographic who have had their first (legal) taste of clubbing and independent holidaying denied

Where Ibiza is concerned, that audience always was getting increasingly priced out as it stood. Impressionable minds won't have had the bombardment of social media images from their immediately older peers, unlike their predecessors

I'd say the average first age to go to Ibiza had already shifted to 25+ due to cost. The Greek Islands get the 16-24's.

But agree with the above comments that after being locked up for a year and currently only able to see freinds for a drink sat down outdoors in a sterile environment may mean people won't want to cram into a sweaty club just yet, and Ibiza is pretty much the worst offender in the world for overcrowding. Bars and outdoor places like Ushuaia, OBeach, Ibiza Rocks and Destino might be even more successful over the next few years as a result.

Back