When you have a moment in a club

I'm sure he played a Beyonce mix too :?: :lol: Or maybe that was my mind playing tricks on me :eek::lol:

The one time I went to Fabric I had to hide out in a cubicle near the end and swore they were playing The Cheeky Girls outside. :eek: :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
exactly. tune selection is absolutely critical.

i was sat in the long grass at bestival 2005 lying down in the sun with a reefer, eyes shut or eyeballing the heron circling above and gathering the remnants of my shellshocked senses together after a heavy night in the bollywood tent. It was coming up to noon and the ambient shoegazer known also as Ulrich Schnauss was playing some lovely chilled out stuff which suited the mellow mood perfectly. Then WHACK :!: out of nowhere the guilty pleasures team appeared on the stage and played VAN HALEN 'JUMP' :eek: I wrote quite an angry email to rob da bank about it saying that that was the single most disturbing incident I had ever experienced at a festival and to his credit, he did write back and apologise.

it's easy to say that but for those who get it, the deep house/techno experience is a deadly serious business. if you're being taken on some 'journey' and having an intensely e-motional psycho-kinetic moment in your head, a poorly chosen tune can really ruin your day

thats true mate, i totally agree that a bad tune can ruin things.

i think the point of this though is that with the Ultra Nate tune in liverpool last saturday it went down a storm.

good thread - and some interesting opinions here!

on one hand i absolutely agree about the fact that a wrong chosen track midset might bring a whole journey to an abrupt halt. if you're totally in the zone (as PL calls it) in the midst of a really good undergroundy set (may it be deep house, tech house or techno) and you're just dancing and lost in the music, you simply don't want to hear a track that once topped the charts.

but on the other hand, as a lover of classics (even if they're cheesy sometimes), i really like to get a few classics thrown in at the end of the night. i don't even mind ultra nate's free - it's happy, cheerful and it takes away a bit of the seriousness of all the undergound clubbing and works as a send off track. i actually think this might be luci's idea about playing this one. but yes, as olly correctly stated, the best classics are the ones that you've forgotten and then release old memories when they get aired again!

(and still, i very much preferred when luciano played chymera-arabesque at the end of his sets ;) that was a closer of sorts!)

good thread - and some interesting opinions here!

on one hand i absolutely agree about the fact that a wrong chosen track midset might bring a whole journey to an abrupt halt. if you're totally in the zone (as PL calls it) in the midst of a really good undergroundy set (may it be deep house, tech house or techno) and you're just dancing and lost in the music, you simply don't want to hear a track that once topped the charts.

but on the other hand, as a lover of classics (even if they're cheesy sometimes), i really like to get a few classics thrown in at the end of the night. i don't even mind ultra nate's free - it's happy, cheerful and it takes away a bit of the seriousness of all the undergound clubbing and works as a send off track. i actually think this might be luci's idea about playing this one. but yes, as olly correctly stated, the best classsics are the ones that you've forgotten and then release old memories when they get aired again!

(and still, i very much preferred when luciano played chymera-arabesque at the end of his sets ;) that was a closer of sorts!)

well put mate.

it may also be worth pointing out that Jeff Mills - The Bells was also played in the same room last Sat in Liverpool

yeah this is interesting.

obviously matter of tastes and not such chin stroking or snobbery, more maybe that ultra nate - free, whilst not a bad record, is a pop record to me, pretty much all my associations of it are as pop record.

maybe it's age too, if you never lived through that record being so brutalised and abused, maybe you don't have the negative connotations.

you could look it the other way and suggest tracks that were true club classics, if you were old enough to remember, but to many they are just pop crap thanks to being regurgitated so much.

if free comes anywhere, i start thinking about strawberry yoghurt adverts or tampax ads with people roller blading. (no obvious pun on linking those two products btw!)

exactly. tune selection is absolutely critical.

i was sat in the long grass at bestival 2005 lying down in the sun with a reefer, eyes shut or eyeballing the heron circling above and gathering the remnants of my shellshocked senses together after a heavy night in the bollywood tent. It was coming up to noon and the ambient shoegazer known also as Ulrich Schnauss was playing some lovely chilled out stuff which suited the mellow mood perfectly. Then WHACK :!: out of nowhere the guilty pleasures team appeared on the stage and played VAN HALEN 'JUMP' :eek: I wrote quite an angry email to rob da bank about it saying that that was the single most disturbing incident I had ever experienced at a festival and to his credit, he did write back and apologise.

hahaha brilliant. you're such a c*nt olly! :lol::lol:

for those of you who are gutted you missed this night dont worry cos you wouldnt have got in the room anyway. ive been going to circus since cream closed and ive never seen it as busy, f#kn mental!! 20mins to get any where near entering the theatre and then there was no way any sort of shapes were getting thrown..they well oversold it. they even had more tickets made friday and put the price up to 22quid plus bookig fee.. i know this aint much but its the fact that they could be seen to be on the money making machine and forget why we go there...ended up upstairs listening to heidi :?::?: ...garnier was well better!!! i aint being a bitch here and i know some people like it like this...

so agree - i have had a good number of nights over the years where i have been soo in the zone (for want of a better term) and someone has dropped a total bollock of a remix and i have almost been in tears :oops: - totally ruined my night - its hard to pull me back into it if a track has spoilt my moment....

All around you the punters are jumping and waving there hands:lol:

Bit late reply but Ultra Nate - Free is ****e it aint a classic it wasn't good when it first came out , it's on the level of I got the key I got the Secret, it's the wrong kind of happy.. this is my humble opinion and just goes to show "you can't please all of the people all of the time" to quote some icon who I can't remember the name of :) I'm afraid I would have been the party pooper at that point and gone to the bar/toilet/fag area which is a rareity for me lol p.s Garnier in Circus was the bollocks can't imagine Luciano being better, I think he's a little bit over-rated infact I liked him more when I failed to read the name of my podcast mixes on my ipod fully and mistook Luciano Esse for him lol

You're right, hauskitten, that Ultra Nate track is horrid. Not music snobbery from me, as there's a lot of commercial 'radio' dance I like.

its been a good while since I had a "moment" in a club but went to see Garnier at a real old school back in the days warehouse party a couple of weekends back and OMG I had moment after moment ... :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I got home totally scruffy, drenched in sweat , £200 boots fooked beyond all recognition and took me til Wed to stop buzzing.....

In all, I fell a little bit in love with clubbing all over again - forgotten just how much fun it was.....

Think I'm in need of a night like that.

Boots optional

:lol:

Who cares if it is commercial or not. Just enjoy it. Looks like people there did.

It made me think of the Space Terrace in the old days! Quality.

Im in the camp with onemore and nostrum here.

Was with becki at the time Luciano played that tune in Fabric and it was perfect for the time (it was definitely not the original that he played though, seems to have much tougher baseline)

Bit late reply but Ultra Nate - Free is ****e it aint a classic it wasn't good when it first came out

Agree - I'm all up for dropping cheese bombs in the middle of sets but I may have pulled a face and gone to get a swift half at that moment. :lol:

just been watching them at miami

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3kn4OpUGeE&feature=related

the tunes aren't too bad but Luciano strikes me as a bit of a plum - all that armwaving/airkissing/hugging the groupies behind him stuff, does my head in

Agree, can't bear all that.

Feck off back to the VIP stable and show me the real talent.

(been listening to a tranny squat DJ this eve who has more talent in her right testicle than him.)

"famous" DJs? Enough already.

No better than Guetta.

(Do you think I should book a trip to Miami?)

Back