When you have a moment in a club

I was at circus and the reaction to it was largely positive I thought, it was towards the end of the night, I personally thought it was great cos given the time I was :eek: and it reminds me a lot of my 1st Ibiza trip.
Best circus Ive been to and that includes Monsieur Garnier..

quite a few people have said that - it being the best circus they have been to.

There is no doubt that its on fire currently, ridiculous line ups every month.

Garnier the other month was incredible.

It was such a good night for music 8)

Venue was bloody freezing though, must have been in the minus figures all night. Definitely one to check out in the summer :)

:lol: @ the shirtless quaver.

Looks great though! :eek:

Shame to have missed it but wasn't in the right frame of mind for rave monkeys that weekend.

i agree about the whole classics in the right context thing and you can take it to the nth degree and almost justify anything.

but playing that track there, then, in that context.....hmmmm...as it will always be known as a big commerical track, that's now become a stick-on for tampon adverts. also more than that, it never had the proper club weight of experience behind it, like, for example, a track like robin s 'show me love' did, which was a mid 90s classic and has a basically classic mid-90s sound........before it got played to death.

even erick morillo has stopped playing ultra nate because it's way too cheesy and that was 4 years ago and that's erick morillo.

c2 has obviously started playing more to the popular sound in the last year than at any other time in his career, although part of this could be said to be that the sound and groove he's championed for 20 years.....has just become more popular. even so, he's defo just vibing playing more hits and club friendly at the minute. inevitably, if you play more big tracks and hits, it's not pushing forward as much.

regardless of that, he's earned the right to do wtf he likes and if at the moment he wants to go b2b with people who play cheesy pop tracks, then that's up to him. the grapevine will also tell you that he's really started enjoying himself in the last year...... if you get me. so fair ****s to the geezer

oh and c2 mix of good life is quality btw.

Just like a few years ago Crystal Water Gypsy Woman was being dropped by everyone. The first few times great after a while it was like WTF:eek:? I loved the song when it came out.

I personally don't think that ultra nate track was necessarily a bad record. The problem is when it came out in 1997 it got played over and over and over on radio and in bars everywhere to the point I hated it and overkill is what destroys records.

if you're going to play a classic to whip up a crowd it should always be a track that everyone knows but everyone has forgotten, and will have them grinning in knowing recogition but at the same time not too obvious or high street either. It takes real skill judging that moment right. something you can tease with a few loops or an accapella then bang. that's how it should be done.

to give an example - check out the frankie knuckles version of the pet shop boys you were always on my mind / always in my house - brilliant twist midway through. I would groan if I heard the original single, but his version off the introspective LP is simply amazing

i agree about the whole classics in the right context thing and you can take it to the nth degree and almost justify anything.

but playing that track there, then, in that context.....hmmmm...as it will always be known as a big commerical track, that's now become a stick-on for tampon adverts. also more than that, it never had the proper club weight of experience behind it, like, for example, a track like robin s 'show me love' did, which was a mid 90s classic and has a basically classic mid-90s sound........before it got played to death.

even erick morillo has stopped playing ultra nate because it's way too cheesy and that was 4 years ago and that's erick morillo.

c2 has obviously started playing more to the popular sound in the last year than at any other time in his career, although part of this could be said to be that the sound and groove he's championed for 20 years.....has just become more popular. even so, he's defo just vibing playing more hits and club friendly at the minute. inevitably, if you play more big tracks and hits, it's not pushing forward as much.

regardless of that, he's earned the right to do wtf he likes and if at the moment he wants to go b2b with people who play cheesy pop tracks, then that's up to him. the grapevine will also tell you that he's really started enjoying himself in the last year...... if you get me. so fair ****s to the geezer

oh and c2 mix of good life is quality btw.

Grego, i half understand what you are saying and this debate has been raging on the circus board all week...the general view of the people that were in the club at the time was that it was ace, some people who weren't there had negative comments about the record. For me personally its not one of my favourite 'old' records, but the bottom line is, for the people that were there it worked so we have to respect that....For both the promoters of the night to say afterwards it was the best Circus they have put together shows the vibe of the night....and if 2 of the biggest DJ's on the planet (Luciano and Carl Craig) had the crowd in the palm of their hand by playing that tune it goes to show how good the set had been before it!

some of the comments on the circus board have been massively chin strokery! at the end of the day clubbing is about having fun...if the people in there liked it and the room was a sea of smiling faces then its job done and shouldn't be debated or criticised.

Probably from c.1993 to say 2003/4 there was an infux of well made and produced "House" tunes that made it into the Top 40, bringing it to the masses.

I can hardly think of any since then.

I personally don't think that ultra nate track was necessarily a bad record. The problem is when it came out in 1997 it got played over and over and over on radio and in bars everywhere to the point I hated it and overkill is what destroys records.

if you're going to play a classic to whip up a crowd it should always be a track that everyone knows but everyone has forgotten, and will have them grinning in knowing recogition but at the same time not too obvious or high street either. It takes real skill judging that moment right. something you can tease with a few loops or an accapella then bang. that's how it should be done.

Although I enjoyed the Ultra Nate thing , I think you've nailed it there Olly.

I think the reason it went down a storm at Circus last week because it was totally unexpected. Ive certainly never heard something like that there. Ive never been a massive fan of the tune but it takes a moment like that to change my opinion. Was never a big fan of Prodigy " out of space" which is also massively commercial but when Laurent Garnier dropped it at the end of his set years ago at circus ive liked it ever since because it reminds me of that moment.

People take things too seriously and forget the whole point of a night is to have fun

its been a good while since I had a "moment" in a club but went to see Garnier at a real old school back in the days warehouse party a couple of weekends back and OMG I had moment after moment ... :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I got home totally scruffy, drenched in sweat , £200 boots fooked beyond all recognition and took me til Wed to stop buzzing.....

In all, I fell a little bit in love with clubbing all over again - forgotten just how much fun it was.....

People take things too seriously and forget the whole point of a night is to have fun

it's easy to say that but for those who get it, the deep house/techno experience is a deadly serious business. if you're being taken on some 'journey' and having an intensely e-motional psycho-kinetic moment in your head, a poorly chosen tune can really ruin your day

it's easy to say that but for those who get it, the deep house/techno experience is a deadly serious business. if you're being taken on some 'journey' and having an intensely e-motional psycho-kinetic moment in your head, a poorly chosen tune can really ruin your day

so agree - i have had a good number of nights over the years where i have been soo in the zone (for want of a better term) and someone has dropped a total bollock of a remix and i have almost been in tears :oops: - totally ruined my night - its hard to pull me back into it if a track has spoilt my moment....

Back