When do you think the Ibiza season will start in 2020?

When do you think the Ibiza season will start in 2020?

• May

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • June

Votes: 5 1.9%
  • July

Votes: 39 14.6%
  • August

Votes: 46 17.2%
  • September

Votes: 49 18.3%
  • October

Votes: 9 3.4%
  • It won’t, 2021 at the earliest

Votes: 119 44.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that is a very good point. Cash flow is going to be a big issue.

What other industry is there for Ibiza? Is there anything? Genuine question.

I was under the impression they had busy summer periods, when they work hard pretty much every day. Then through the winter they get the island back to themselves and can enjoy a slower pace of life. Is that the way?

Earlier this year there were announcements made in regard to banning alcohol in certain areas and limiting all inclusive drinks. Previous years had seen earlier closing hours enforced. I'm not sure what the gameplan was on this but I imagine there will be some sort of U turn on a few of these rules if things get going again?

The holiday market is a very competitive one across the Med, will people really want to come to Ibiza if there are no clubs open? I mean you can go other places at a fraction of the price, Ibiza isn't exactly known for being a budget excursion.

Ibiza has to ask itself some tough questions if it wants to survive I think.
For several years now, their will seems clear, tourists with more to buy, as a couple, without children, who consume services with high added value: boat, yoga classes, five-star hotels and VIP tables.
When I see the transformation of a place like Portinatx in a few years, it seems very clear to me.

Ibiza got bigger when the clubbing took hold, sure, but believe me tourism was already well established.
There are plenty of young hippies dossing it on daddies money....but still a sizable amount of originals about.
Not in Bossa, obviously.

Yeah , big tourism. San An was big and other spots too. It starts with the beatniks in the 60s. Later the hippies came. And others : Nico from VU , Painters , Writers and others.
Spain had liberal drug laws : Weed was legal The natives were friendly and tolerant.
Relaxed island.
At any time the jet set was there : BB with G Sachs in Ibz town and a lot of others.
Ku and so on was not like today : Was not easy to get in , people told me. The nightlife industries started slowly , it was not a big part of the game. The number of tourists were real small

The number of tourists was massive from the middle of the 70's, for the era and the bohos, hippies and first vip weren't the majority...
Spanish and European families, like today, were filling the hotels, renting houses, etc...
The ferries were full 4 months a year, you had to reserve your place months before.
It was impossible to find a place on a ferry for July or August if you didn't reserve it before April.
Of course the bed capacity was lower than today(the European demography was lower too) , but the mass tourism was already a reality in 1975.
The myth of thebohemian island, only visited by freaks and artists was already finished in 1975.

The number of tourists was massive from the middle of the 70's, for the era and the bohos, hippies and first vip weren't the majority...
Spanish and European families, like today, were filling the hotels, renting houses, etc...
The ferries were full 4 months a year, you had to reserve your place months before.
It was impossible to find a place on a ferry for July or August if you didn't reserve it before April.
Of course the bed capacity was lower than today(the European demography was lower too) , but the mass tourism was already a reality in 1975.
The myth of thebohemian island, only visited by freaks and artists was already finished in 1975.

Yeah , between 1975 or 1980 the big wave
started. It was not the mass tourism as we know it : Flying was much more expensive than today. Then Thomas Cook , Neckermann ( in Germany ) made it cheaper. Thats the reason with the ferries. Was cheaper to use a car for many people.
And then it starts.

It was a definitely a island , with lot of bohemians and freaks until beginn of 80s
Maybe mid 70s.

Isn't clubbing environment only a tiny bit of the tourism..yes alot of people are employed through the scene.. but I'm sure the island would survive without the clubs for a few years

If you could see the pictures my family in law did the first year they came to ibiza, you will understand the mass tourism was well established in 1973(for the era, again) .

Found pictures from the parents : The island was full of hotels in this times. Thats true.
But it wasnt as much as today. It was 20 or 30 Percent , max
PdB was a desert , San An very small.
It was mass tourism as mass tourism was at this times.
I remember the late 80s /early 90s : At salinas you had a lot of space if you moved away a bit from the beach bars.
If a ibiza raver of today came to the island of the 70s or early 80s and would see it , he would say : Empty , no one there.
It s a question of definition

Maybe 1/3 ?
People who are coming exclusively for clubbing? I would say 20-25%.
Don't misunderstand what I say, clubbing is part of the attraction for a lot of people, but I'm sure without the beautiful beaches, the gastronomy, the way of life you find here, a big part of the tourists, even if they like clubbing a few nights a week wouldn't come.
It's a global change that already started, the ibiza visitor today is generally older, with more money, likes good food, is healthier than before.
Even here on this forum, I'm sure a lot you will return to ibiza one day without clubbing, just for the beauty of the place and the ibicenco way of life.

For example during the last decade, you have 2 sectors of the local economy wich increased a lot:
The wellness and the boats.

I meant 1/3 less whats close to 25 percent

They tried to change the island anyway.
Clubs will stay , but San An and PdB and so on will change.
Lets see what happens next year.

Thats what I have written couple of weeks ago : All In will be removed slowly ( only in some areas it will stay )
They want Pikes , not 1 star Hostals and Bed Castels.
Maybe the crisis accelerate the process.

Last edited:
To talk about what I know, the North has already changed a lot, and with the new investors who are coming, it's just the beginning.

good thread

am not as qualified as you guys to comment on most of this but offering a personal angle, I would actually like to see it calm down and go 'upmarket' but the right kind of upmarket not faux-boho-lifestyle-Times-Magazine pretence. I wouldn't miss the clubs at all. I'm too old. Would never go anyway. Half the stuff people fantasise about on here is completely alien to me. What I mean by upmarket is more artists and artisans, cooperatives, social enterprises, local food and less trash, but then again I recognise that as a tourist I would say that... locals need their mercadonas and mass consumibles too. I think that there will always be room for parties of some kind, but perhaps time to develop an organic local identity rather than relying on importing foreign stars? Smaller lowkey bars/clubs might not make that much money but they're certainly where my heart's at. I approach all this from a mainland perspective (which is obv v different) - but I think Spain as a whole will have to rethink the entire tourism industry from now on, pulling in fewer but aiming higher

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back