When do you think the Ibiza season will start in 2020?

When do you think the Ibiza season will start in 2020?

• May

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • June

Votes: 5 1.9%
  • July

Votes: 39 14.6%
  • August

Votes: 46 17.2%
  • September

Votes: 49 18.3%
  • October

Votes: 9 3.4%
  • It won’t, 2021 at the earliest

Votes: 119 44.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
With this season being an economic disaster: Will residents and politicians across party lines see a necessity for a liberalisation of opening times and general deregulation for 2021 again? Parties until noon, after hours in beach clubs all day long, hi or amnesia opening for daily afters at 8am? Clubbers will be up for it after this year and I‘m sure it would help the island recouperate much faster. 3000 people unemployed because of the club closure this summer so this would bring back more people into work. Realistic?

With this season being an economic disaster: Will residents and politicians across party lines see a necessity for a liberalisation of opening times and general deregulation for 2021 again? Parties until noon, after hours in beach clubs all day long, hi or amnesia opening for daily afters at 8am? Clubbers will be up for it after this year and I‘m sure it would help the island recouperate much faster. 3000 people unemployed because of the club closure this summer so this would bring back more people into work. Realistic?

the most of the big clubs are not the problem : They will earn enough money if
the problems are over. If they survive ...
If it starts again , they need the personell. That means its a unemployment of time ...
Most of the jobs will come back
I hope so

If nothing happens until next season ????

I'd bet the opening parties will be earlier to allow for a longer season to try and recoup some losses!

I'm almost sure the people of the island will more push for a sustainable tourism, agrotourismo-like, than a 100% clubbing island...
All the worries about the clubbing scene seems outrageous to me right now, when you think about the number of people who are not living from it, but from the tourism generally.
They were talking about 3000-4000 jobs in the night industry a few days ago in DDI.
3000-4000 jobs.
Ibiza residents are around 140000 today.
I believe a liberisation of opening times or a general deregulation of the clubs is the last problem of the ibicencos (and the residents) right now.
Opening beach restaurants, supermarkets, hotels, sunbeds rent, this is the problem right now.

Last edited:

Doubt it. A lot of people will be looking for a "new normal" after this, not necessarily a return to old. A quiet year is a chance to take stock and think how you think things want to be. Remember the campaigns against over-tourism?

I'm almost sure the people of the island will more push for a sustainable tourism, agrotourismo-like, than a 100% clubbing island...
All the worries about the clubbing scene seems outrageous to me right now, when you think about the number of people who are not leaving from it, but from the tourism generally.
They were talking about 3000-4000 jobs in the night industry a few days ago in DDI.
3000-4000 jobs.
Ibiza residents are around 140000 today.
I believe a liberisation of opening times or a general deregulation of the clubs is the last problem of the ibicencos (and the residents) right now.
Opening beach restaurants, supermarkets, hotels, sunbeds rent, this is the problem right now.

you are correct in what you say. the clubs are certainly not the first priority.

but...and that is just the bare naked truth, if the clubs can't open, there will be lots of people who will give ibiza a miss. I'm pretty sure the majority of forum regulars would contemplate a non-clubbing trip to ibiza, but let's face it, for thousands and thousands of people, the nightlife is still one of or the main attraction and reason why they come to ibiza - in combination with everything else of course.

matutes hopes to open their hotels in june or july, but also contemplates the possibility of not being able to open at all this summer.
as I had mentioned a while ago here, IF the season can open and it's not only in september, then lots of businesses will try to stay open for longer this year, matutes also mentions this in this interview

you are correct in what you say. the clubs are certainly not the first priority.

but...and that is just the bare naked truth, if the clubs can't open, there will be lots of people who will give ibiza a miss. I'm pretty sure the majority of forum regulars would contemplate a non-clubbing trip to ibiza, but let's face it, for thousands and thousands of people, the nightlife is still one of or the main attraction and reason why they come to ibiza - in combination with everything else of course.
Je suis d'accord mon ami,
But there is a distortion between us, and the locals.
For them a season with everything open except the clubs will be a not so bad one.
For the forumers, or people like you, who are really involved in it, or are living from it it will be a desaster.

Je suis d'accord mon ami,
But there is a distortion between us, and the locals.
For them a season with everything open except the clubs will be a not so bad one.
For the forumers, or people like you, who are really involved in it, or are living from it it will be a desaster.

of course yeah.

I think 1/3 of the tourists are because clubbing. Maybe more. Whole San An and around Tourism, PdB ,some of Ibiza town , its a lot. Its more than 3000 people , who depends to the nightlife industrie. There are a lot of indirect jobs

I found a very old travel guide from ibiza ( 1984 ) . Nice pics . Ibiza will look like this ,if there is no clubbing anymore.
PdB empty space , looked like a desert. San an : Free space at the beach with some parking cars . Less hotels.
Ibiza went big because clubbing , because Lord Sabre , because Sven , because Alfredo and so on. And because the
big clubs which are famous in the whole world. Ibiza will not go back to a hippie island ,because there are no real hippies
anymore. Only hippie lookalikes.

Doubt it. A lot of people will be looking for a "new normal" after this, not necessarily a return to old. A quiet year is a chance to take stock and think how you think things want to be. Remember the campaigns against over-tourism?

That’s a nice idea on paper, but that’s not how the real world works. It all comes back to money. The island is going to be so desperate for cash flow that they’ll be begging for longer hours from the clubs.

I found a very old travel guide from ibiza ( 1984 ) . Nice pics . Ibiza will look like this ,if there is no clubbing anymore.
PdB empty space , looked like a desert. San an : Free space at the beach with some parking cars . Less hotels.
Ibiza went big because clubbing , because Lord Sabre , because Sven , because Alfredo and so on. And because the
big clubs which are famous in the whole world. Ibiza will not go back to a hippie island ,because there are no real hippies
anymore. Only hippie lookalikes.
Ibiza got bigger when the clubbing took hold, sure, but believe me tourism was already well established.
There are plenty of young hippies dossing it on daddies money....but still a sizable amount of originals about.
Not in Bossa, obviously.

Last edited:
Ibiza got bigger like all the Spanish coasts when Spain developed the mass tourism,they don't built Cala San Vicente, San Miguel or Es Cana for example because of the clubs.
The fame of the clubs really started in the late middle of the 90's, with MTV, some tv reality shows, and internet
The tourism was still massive in this years, less than today of course, but like anywhere else in Spain.

That’s a nice idea on paper, but that’s not how the real world works. It all comes back to money. The island is going to be so desperate for cash flow that they’ll be begging for longer hours from the clubs.

I think that is a very good point. Cash flow is going to be a big issue.

What other industry is there for Ibiza? Is there anything? Genuine question.

I was under the impression they had busy summer periods, when they work hard pretty much every day. Then through the winter they get the island back to themselves and can enjoy a slower pace of life. Is that the way?

Earlier this year there were announcements made in regard to banning alcohol in certain areas and limiting all inclusive drinks. Previous years had seen earlier closing hours enforced. I'm not sure what the gameplan was on this but I imagine there will be some sort of U turn on a few of these rules if things get going again?

The holiday market is a very competitive one across the Med, will people really want to come to Ibiza if there are no clubs open? I mean you can go other places at a fraction of the price, Ibiza isn't exactly known for being a budget excursion.

Ibiza has to ask itself some tough questions if it wants to survive I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back