When do you think the Ibiza season will start in 2020?

When do you think the Ibiza season will start in 2020?

• May

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • June

Votes: 5 1.9%
  • July

Votes: 39 14.6%
  • August

Votes: 46 17.2%
  • September

Votes: 49 18.3%
  • October

Votes: 9 3.4%
  • It won’t, 2021 at the earliest

Votes: 119 44.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
good thread

am not as qualified as you guys to comment on most of this but offering a personal angle, I would actually like to see it calm down and go 'upmarket' but the right kind of upmarket not faux-boho-lifestyle-Times-Magazine pretence. I wouldn't miss the clubs at all. I'm too old. Would never go anyway. Half the stuff people fantasise about on here is completely alien to me. What I mean by upmarket is more artists and artisans, cooperatives, social enterprises, local food and less trash, but then again I recognise that as a tourist I would say that... locals need their mercadonas and mass consumibles too. I think that there will always be room for parties of some kind, but perhaps time to develop an organic local identity rather than relying on importing foreign stars? Smaller lowkey bars/clubs might not make that much money but they're certainly where my heart's at. I approach all this from a mainland perspective (which is obv v different) - but I think Spain as a whole will have to rethink the entire tourism industry from now on, pulling in fewer but aiming higher

Thats what all want .

For example I remember in eaerlier days I sometimes sat in bar comic . Small , sound , fun , dancing and so on. Dont want to go to a club , this were funny nights . Same as Sands or elephant. But the smaller venues like this are away.
Bar Cosmic is dead , Beach Bars are not allowed to be a club and so on.
Are there any venues like this on the island anymore , except in San An ?

Isn't clubbing environment only a tiny bit of the tourism..yes alot of people are employed through the scene.. but I'm sure the island would survive without the clubs for a few years

The number of people employed within clubs must be tiny compared to those employed outside? Also wonder how many of those employees are actually Ibizan natives?

Thats what all want .

For example I remember in eaerlier days I sometimes sat in bar comic . Small , sound , fun , dancing and so on. Dont want to go to a club , this were funny nights . Same as Sands or elephant. But the smaller venues like this are away.
Bar Cosmic is dead , Beach Bars are not allowed to be a club and so on.
Are there any venues like this on the island anymore , except in San An ?

there are small venues which barely get any attention on here and which are not necessarily located in the coolest or sexiest areas. eg Malanga is on some back street behind a burger shop in the main town and pretty tiny but had a fantastic atmosphere when I went, open till 6am (also hearing good things about paradise lost). I suspect the future will be about scaling down the fantasy beach idyll that has been created over so many decades. That might be devastating for people who save up precisely to experience that but for others maybe it is a necessary way forward. The key thing is how to remarket the myth which I guess is quite hard to do

They want Pikes , not 1 star Hostals and Bed Castels.
And how many people would stay at Pikes without the island's hedonistic appeal (which is in part fueled by the clubs)?
Can people supposedly staying at 1 star hostals afford the big clubs at all?

It's all connected. The famous nightlife is justifying higher prices for pretty much everything compared to Mallorca. Without nightlife, Ibiza will likely have to go downmarket, not upmarket, and have to compete on price with other mass tourism destinations. Unless you want to drastically reduce tourism (and thus the number of jobs it produces).

While every tourist destination would love to go upmarket and serve the uber-rich, the total amount of money uber-rich spend on vacations is not that huge, and they have a lot of choice (not just in Europe). Spain is also at a huge disadvantage due to the law prohibiting private beaches here.

And how many people would stay at Pikes without the island's hedonistic appeal (which is in part fueled by the clubs)?
Can people supposedly staying at 1 star hostals afford the big clubs at all?

It's all connected. The famous nightlife is justifying higher prices for pretty much everything compared to Mallorca. Without nightlife, Ibiza will likely have to go downmarket, not upmarket, and have to compete on price with other mass tourism destinations. Unless you want to drastically reduce tourism (and thus the number of jobs it produces).

While every tourist destination would love to go upmarket and serve the uber-rich, the total amount of money uber-rich spend on vacations is not that huge, and they have a lot of choice (not just in Europe). Spain is also at a huge disadvantage due to the law prohibiting private beaches here.

I'm not sure that's true. Alghero, Sardinia is tourist-focused but isn't overtly aimed at trash or uber-rich. there are clubs for people who want them but it doesn't depend on them. I think there is this misconception that IBZ has to be top or bottom end. What about the middle class?

like the Mrs and I, a lot of our friends (20 something year olds) initially base our holiday around clubbing but we have never been the type to go for a daft few days like you find many of the club only tourists do ..we normally either do 10 nights to 2 weeks to have that perfect balance between the club nights and date nights in old town and other areas.

I personally would probably just do a week if there was no clubbing but it definitely wouldn't stop us like many we know from returning, its too beautiful not to.

agreed though the whole vibe will change if the 'hit it hard' for 3-4 dayers aren't there adding their spark of energy to the atmosphere

View attachment 8743

season 2020
'is there anything left? - not much, but the hope of some dreamers'
don't know if this is the right place to ask stivi but after hearing how strict the Spanish lockdown is and us brits thinking we have it tough I was wondering what happens if you own a dog like myself, are you allowed to walk it to do it's business if you don't have a garden or yard ?

don't know if this is the right place to ask stivi but after hearing how strict the Spanish lockdown is and us brits thinking we have it tough I was wondering what happens if you own a dog like myself, are you allowed to walk it to do it's business if you don't have a garden or yard ?

in Dubai for the past few weeks dog walks have been banned and people in apartments have been allowed out the front of their buildings for 10mins with dogs. Luckily today that’s been relaxed and there’s a wonderful twitter thread of Dubai dogs heading out for their first pproper walks in a month!

you can quickly go out with the dog, but no proper walk, rather literally just outside your house within a small radius.

Sorry but this reminded me of one of my favourite Viz jokes

reliable sun newspaper :spank:

reliable sun newspaper :spank:

written of ...

I dont have a flat in Ibz : You can not imagine holidays when people can not go to their own homes on the island. The second homes , I mean.
They dont want new cases from people who come to the island from outside. Think you have to go to quarantine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back