what some of the locals think...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Although I agree he is largely missing the point, to be fair to Aaron, what he is saying dows relate to it to a small extent, but its just one smaller part of a complex set of problems which have reached a tipping point which has forced locals to finally say enough is enough and to start organising themselves and demanding change. But they are up against money, power and vested interests.

The only answer is a revolution. Balearic Joe storming the gates. Yachts/Villas turned into social housing.

Only joking (or am I...?)

you completely miss the point aaron.

the island is saturated. nothing to do with neither brits nor san antonio.

Yes I am well aware of the point. I am merely stating one of the effects of the problem and adding my two cents. Note - On the first page of this topic the pictures are not accessible. It shows 'X' against each photo. Not sure why.

What is the solution?
A restriction on the number of flights coming in?
Put a stop to all future construction regarding hotels, bars and clubs?
Limit the number of foreign seasonal workers so that the locals can profit more from tourism?
Shorten the length of the season?
How do they intend to reduce visitors anually?

menorca has been regulating the number of visitors since the 70s I believe and it is working perfectly well. but yeah, a cap on flights as well as cars entering would be a start. but let's see what this season brings first, greece as well as turkey/tunisia/egypt are recovering numbers and that might affect the balearics too.

Definitely cars..

Surely the answer to reducing car use is better public transport. The island isn't huge so surely a small tram network isn't that pie in the sky? Even just a short one from the airport through Bossa and in to Ibiza Town would get loads of traffic off the roads.

That tourist tax we all pay must bring bring in some funds!

What is the solution?
A restriction on the number of flights coming in?
Put a stop to all future construction regarding hotels, bars and clubs?
Limit the number of foreign seasonal workers so that the locals can profit more from tourism?
Shorten the length of the season?
How do they intend to reduce visitors anually?
numbers are an issue but for me its how the visitors behave thats the real problem. don't feed the beast and it won't grow

We can all play a small part - don't be an arsehole, be respectful, clean up after yourself, don't give your money to the beach clubs encroaching on all the public beaches or the airbnb style unlicensed private residences. Don't use all inclusive (families, you get a pass).

Theres obviously points on which despite all of the above the prou agenda still clashes with our own interests, such as clubbing or hiring cars to explore the island, but i think these are matters really out of our control and in the hands of politicians (although clubs used to nuisance a lot of locals getting up to go about their days, do school runs etc) it could be argued that since the clampdown on opening hours around 10 years ago, that there has been much increased party activity on boats or in country villas, restaurants etc. - at least the clubs semi-contained the lunacy. The politicians are the ones who should be capping car rental numbers and enforcing the ban on unlicensed rentals.

Aaron, if you have a look at their manifest (which I translated with Google) you'll see nobody is blaming one nationality or another... could you please take the time to read it and tell me what's so wrong with their message?

I think that manifest you quote makes a lot of sense. The island definitely gets way too crowded and I think things got a little out of control in terms of the Vegas takeover. Who’s fault is that though? It feels like the locals like to blame the tourists, when it’s their own government who is trying to turn it into a VIP playland. Maybe that experiment is over? Where was this outrage when PDB was ruined by Matutes? The writer does admit they were caught sleeping at the wheel, but I just hope the outrage you see in this thread is also directed at the government. The train has already left the station and it will be very difficult to reverse. The one thing I don’t understand is the blanket anti-nightlife regulations. In the mean time, Tulum is starting to emerge as a real alternative as well.

It feels like the locals like to blame the tourists, when it’s their own government who is trying to turn it into a VIP playland. Maybe that experiment is over? Where was this outrage when PDB was ruined by Matutes? The writer does admit they were caught sleeping at the wheel, but I just hope the outrage you see in this thread is also directed at the government.

To me it seemed it was aimed at the politicians/government?

Certainly the locals consider their existing public transport a disgrace according to this report from January

Mass transit typically does not work on small islands (trust me). There is not the population density to support it (properly), and the typical work-arounds to afford it tend to be a reduction of staff or deferred maintenance of the fleet. The result is you tend to get an unreliable service that dissuades further ridership, perpetuating the cycle by forcing otherwise willing people into cars. The bottom line is that it is really expensive to run a regular service for such a small population. Nobody want to pay 8 euros to go one-way to the supermarket to subsidize the times the bus is running regularly, every 15 min, and on schedule but with only 2-3 people on it.

What seems to work on rural islands is a blended system where you have the official city autobus (subsidized gov monopoly), augmented by private operators (usually a single guy with a 12-15 passenger van with a taxi license) that run at popular times/routes at their convenience. Here people use the van-guys more often than the "real bus", however even then there is no real service outside of 'normal' hours 6am to 7pm.

has anyone ever seriously considered introducing a train line? I guess there would be inevitable cost, environmental and engineering issues. I know RENFE have been cutting back elsewhere so it might not be feasible or economic.

Certainly the locals consider their existing public transport a disgrace according to this report from January

https://periodicodeibiza.es/pitiusa...lico-ibiza-califican-servicio-vergonzoso.html

There already is a train. That’s exactly what I mean by people not even knowing about it.

There is not the population density? In ibiza?:confused:
Not for year-round use, unfortunately.

That's what the residents were angry abut in the article that Lil'Kim posted above. They mentioned that in the winter that service was inconsistent. Some lines were seasonal (discontinued Nov-May) and that instead of every 15 min, they would be spaced every half hour (or more).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back