What is the weirdest thing you've had in your mouth?

Scoobie said:
I think eating wild animals is MUCH MORE humane. what is inhumane are most of the farming practices in this county which leave animals in a terrible state - chickens eating their own feet off through boredom etc. wild animals enjoy a much better quality of life, whereas farm animals have a life of misery just to provide us with meat.

And 99% of the duck meat in the UK is farmed, and I would suspect most of the rabbit meat is as well.

Could not have said it better myself. BTW, meat from game is far healthier than meat from farmed animals.

When I was back in the States visiting the parents for the holidays, I got to try alligator for the first time. It was breaded and fried... so basically, tasted just like chicken :lol: (only a bit chewier! probably closer to fried clams without the seafood taste)

Also tried pigeon at a buffet dinner reception in a 5-star hotel last Friday. Surprisingly tasty (and hopefully farm-raised and not off the street! :lol:)

So....Becki.... did you try anything new on your travels? ;)

And what about Zarbtron's little culinary adventure:
Nick's Blog said:
Managed to convince ourselves to eat fried pupae (potatoey centre), mealworms (dry and not particularly interesting), crickets (dry too but some had gooey centres...) and I ate the head of a baby chick, which tasted pretty much like KFC :)))
n36801816_34650481_5449.jpg

:!:

So....Becki.... did you try anything new on your travels? ;)

:!:

Ummm.... I tried some pig skin when I was trekking in Vietnam. This little tribal woman of about 90 had killed the pig about a month earlier, and the skin is the last part of it they eat. YUMMY!

I resisted the urge to try any dog :lol:

What? No bugs? No baby chickens!? :lol:

Out of curiosity, do they eat dog down there? (in SE Asia) I always thought it was just a Korean thing...

What? No bugs? No baby chickens!? :lol:

Out of curiosity, do they eat dog down there? (in SE Asia) I always thought it was just a Korean thing...

Yeah they eat it in Vietnam, it's considered quite a delicacy i believe. Not in Thailand and as far as I'm aware not in Laos or Cambodia. But then I didn't go looking for a dog burger so I could be wrong!

Lots of absolute shíte being spoken here. Those chickens who are bred in tiny cages and don't see sunlight at anypoint of their lives are deemed as "humane" to eat, but if I go and shoot a Cat, as a Lion kills a Zebra, a Cat who has had a happy little life but in the end, is below us in the food chain, that is "inhumane". Think about it !!

Dude, we are way past that part of the conversation. Catch up! We're talking fried alligator nuggets and dog burgers.

I read a little bit, get angry, reply and don't read rest. Apologies, although my anger still stands. As for weird foods, alligator, horse, nice, uncooked steak ( whatever thats called ), erm, used to eat catfood quite alot to gain friends as a kid and went through a stage of being in the "acid crew" where we drank lots of vinegar to be hard. As well as snorting sugar and popping massive amounts of Vit C tablets. Mental.

Last edited by a moderator:
coal!! i ate a peace when i was really really young, i dont remember it aparently had to be rushed to hospital and for some reason told a doctor that my mum jumped on my head! :lol: :lol: kids eh!

I will be eating the below, fat duck menu in March - pretty weird to me, although all legal!

NITRO-GREEN TEA AND LIME MOUSSE (2001)
OYSTER, PASSION FRUIT JELLY, LAVENDER
POMMERY GRAIN MUSTARD ICE CREAM, RED CABBAGE GAZPACHO
JELLY OF QUAIL, LANGOUSTINE CREAM, PARFAIT OF FOIE GRAS
OAK MOSS AND TRUFFLE TOAST
(Homage to Alain Chapel)
menudivider.gif
SNAIL PORRIDGE
Joselito ham, shaved fennel
menudivider.gif
ROAST FOIE GRAS
Almond fluid gel, cherry, chamomile
menudivider.gif
"SOUND OF THE SEA"
menudivider.gif
SALMON POACHED WITH LIQUORICE
Vanilla mayonnaise and “Manni” olive oil
menudivider.gif
BALLOTINE OF ANJOU PIGEON
Black pudding “to order”, Chinese pigeon cracker, pickling brine and spiced juices
menudivider.gif
HOT AND ICED TEA (2005)
menudivider.gif
MRS MARSHALL’S MARGARET CORNET
menudivider.gif
PINE SHERBET FOUNTAIN (PRE-HIT)
menudivider.gif
MANGO AND DOUGLAS FIR PUREE
Bavarois of lychee and mango
menudivider.gif
PARSNIP CEREAL
menudivider.gif
NITRO-SCRAMBLED EGG AND BACON ICE CREAM (2006)
Pain perdu, tea jelly
menudivider.gif
WHISK(E)Y WINE GUMS
menudivider.gif
PETITS FOURS Mandarin aerated chocolate, Violet tartlet, Carrot and orange lolly

I almost forgot to mention. A couple of friends from university and I went to a Mexican restaurant when I was back home in DC last month (the place insists that they serve "authentic Mexican" as opposed to Tex-Mex).

We tried the grasshopper taco. Very crispy, with a hint of smoky flavor!

I had balou (steam fertilized duck egg) I would not eat it again and one day old(friend baby chicken) it was BBQ in sause very tasty both were eaten in the Philippines in June.

ive eaten a deep fried grasshopper too.... very crunchy...!
also, kangaroo (which isnt that abnormal here in oz) but for you guys might seem 'exotic':lol:

I've eaten sheep's brain in Marrakech.

I think it was a sheep's, I'm not sure, but it was definately a brain. :lol:

Haven't read this thread all the way through so sorry if it's already been mentioned...

Had Ostrich steak in Bambuddha Grove back in 2003 with Mrs Jam.

Can't remember what it tasted like but I went home with a long legged bird as always...

(sorry)

Back