Weekend Plans

Friday - take the eldest boy footy session at Arsenal and then SITC
Saturday - take eldest boy to guitar lesson and then in the afternoon grudge match against local rivals:evil:
Sunday - take kids to my folks, maybe play in a Veterans footy match if in one piece from Saturday. In the afternoon, take the kids out and about

(Not for the first time, typing this sending me to old weekend report posts - I'm glad I don't have to do all that anymore!:lol: )

There was this kid at my school in the mid 80s when nuclear Armageddon still seemed imminent and other kids would tease him calling him a "dirty Russian commie" and almost crying he would insist "I'm Ukrainian not Russian" and obv the other kids were totally ignorant and found this hilarious. And I was a coward for not sticking up for him. That always haunted me. The bully boy mentality of the pack. And this is what Putin is doing, picking on the fat kid in the playground he knows nobody will defend. The West don't really want to get involved, everyone is tired, jaded post-pandemic, introspective and the last thing anyone wants is a war and he knows this and is maximising advantage, like the master chess player. The wider economic impact probably will be contained. Spain's gas supplies come from North Africa so I can't imagine too much direct impact but the inflation is getting bad anyway. I just got hit with a 160€ gas bill and I was actually staying at my mum's post-op for much of December. I suppose some Russian interests in the EU might get hit. Ultimately though, I suspect they will stick a stooge in Kiev and the West will howl and then gradually forget about it. There's no spine anymore because all those dumb wars in the early 2000s and the sheer cost sapped our will.

There was this kid at my school in the mid 80s when nuclear Armageddon still seemed imminent and other kids would tease him calling him a "dirty Russian commie" and almost crying he would insist "I'm Ukrainian not Russian" and obv the other kids were totally ignorant and found this hilarious. And I was a coward for not sticking up for him. That always haunted me. The bully boy mentality of the pack. And this is what Putin is doing, picking on the fat kid in the playground he knows nobody will defend. The West don't really want to get involved, everyone is tired, jaded post-pandemic, introspective and the last thing anyone wants is a war and he knows this and is maximising advantage, like the master chess player. The wider economic impact probably will be contained. Spain's gas supplies come from North Africa so I can't imagine too much direct impact but the inflation is getting bad anyway. I just got hit with a 160€ gas bill and I was actually staying at my mum's post-op for much of December. I suppose some Russian interests in the EU might get hit. Ultimately though, I suspect they will stick a stooge in Kiev and the West will howl and then gradually forget about it. There's no spine anymore because all those dumb wars in the early 2000s and the sheer cost sapped our will.
I've seen some footage of Ukrainians fleeing to Poland, those poor poor people and in 2022 too.

On a UK-centric level, the fact that most of our gas comes from Norway, who, post Brexit, are legally obliged to limit our supply in favour of EU member states if the Russian supply to Europe reduces, could become an issue

The news is pretty unbearable on every level and I'm finding it hard to currently focus on other stuff. Of course, we'll all get bored in time as we always do as 'news fatigue' sets in and we all return to Wordle, but right now, things haven't felt this heavy and worrying since the early pandemic months. And Buckley's right, fuel could get hit and the domino inflation could be massive, so a lot of people may well feel the pinch by the summer. Start saving now.. Sounds crass and tasteless thinking about the crude economics but that is the reality for everyone in the West

Back