Top tip: Watch out for pickpockets at all times

I read this thread a lot before my trip earlier this month and every time we were in any busy area or the one time at the San An cashpoint/fountain area I arrived with the attitude of 'step away from the salsa dancers' (not that we saw any) and kept our wits about us that little bit more this trip, my arm on my handbag at all times and I am glad to report we witnessed no unsavoury behaviour. We did however take taxis more or less door-door between PDB and the one night we took the bus outside the Hard Rock complex it was just getting dark so the vibe at that time was still family friendly.
What we did notice and I've never seen before was a notable security presence on beaches - down at Sa Trinxa on Salinas was a man wearing green security uniform and when at Nassau there was always a tall bloke patrolling up and down the beach in front of the beds. Not sure if this was a reaction to the recent Tunisia events or more for pickpockets/beach crime?...
Whilst we've always been to that end of Salinas and will go again we felt more comfortable this time setting our towels down on the 'back row' as I felt down on the front closest to the sea it was like a main road of allsorts of traffic from all walks of life- many lucky-lucky men (was funny watching them dance), fashion shows, club parades and wanderers - I definitely felt safer pitching up near the message hut as my eyes only had to look in front at my belongings and not 360 degrees.
It was generally very busy everywhere which I assume the criminals must be rubbing their hands with glee.

dj martin garrix's (2.110.000 followers on twitter)
ibiza villa robbed.

top pr 4 ibiza o_O

Screenshot_2015-07-31-19-29-40-1.png

a parisian woman in my contacts have been pickpocketed(some guy open her bag & take her wallet with 80€ cash while dancing, so be watchful from people getting too close) in Blue Marlin early opening 15 even ive warned her . I couldn't imagine they may be pickpockets in such fancy place as BMI :lol:
anyplace in the world you have to be watchful even more in a foreign country,especially one with a lot of cash surrounding the clubs, bars....
Ive never been pickpocketed in Ibiza as i m used to this kind of tricks as i used to work in some touristics places in Paris where i was used to see pickpockets robbing people....& always hide my money in safe place such as in the inside pocket of my swim short under my kneelong trousers or hidden pocket....the only stuff i have to be care is my cellphone that i put in my front bag or front pockets, zipped as you need the cellphone to take pictures & to be in touch with ur mates in case your are splitted....

Never feel unsecure in Pdb but more in San an....& Rule of thumb:if any people try to be nice with me even PR i tell them to step back (or best ignore them)as im not a tourist :cool: letting know that they wont earn money from me :p, avoid to get drunk or stoned as u ll be an easy target :D
The only thing that scare me is people opening my Toot as i used to have my cooler with drinks (water, aquarius,soda,vodka, hierbas):D & my Drums (Darbuka) :mad: that worth 400€ & i couldn't imagine Ibiza holidays without my drums :spank: , or breaking the renting such as windows's car as i usually dont take the insurance :oops:

Horrible to read this things now before my holiday starts on monday.but i guess its the same everywhere. where is money there is crime. and i can imagine that all the overdrugged people are easy targets for these kind of people. hope nothing wil happen to me

finally some rotten pickpocket got what he deserved:

"...
The Civil Guard arrested yesterday morning struck a man who stabbed a thief who tried to steal his mobile phone on the Passeig de ses Fonts de Sant Antoni. 061 ambulance moved to the victim, a Moroccan of 31 years, Can Misses, since it had a stab wound in his forearm. He did not come to be served because signed the voluntary discharge, said a spokesman Ib-Salut.

The dispute occurred about nine o'clock. Eyewitnesses explained that the Maghreb used the carelessness of a man to try to rob it of Dominican nationality phone while both were on the promenade, near the roundabout of the egg. According to those who witnessed the incident, the American pulled out a large knife and struck a stab to the Maghreb, which ran.

Then he began a chase along the promenade which sowed panic among tourists walking through this place, very busy at this time of year. The victim was leaving a trail of blood as the assailant wielding the knife in a threatening manner, according to the testimony of witnesses.

He threw the knife to the sea
When they came up to the office of Service Foreign Tourist Assistance (SATE), which is in the Passeig de ses Fonts, the two police officers who were working out in a hurry and headed toward the aggressor. As soon as I saw him, he threw the knife to the sea in the area where are the tourist boats that perform excursions.

Officers swooped on the Dominican and reduced it on the ground, to the astonishment of many people who saw what happened. So the scene was also mobilized several local police patrols and the Civil Guard of Sant Antoni, which was a major stir in the area ...
..."

http://www.diariodeibiza.es/pitiuse...ado-apunalar-ladron-robarle-movil/784758.html

Recent Algarb TripAdvisor review -

“Beware of thieves hidden on wasteland to right of beach steps at night time.....”

Stayed at the Algarb about 5 or 6 times now, our room was clean, wifi worked okay, all staff at reception, bar, restaurant, cleaners and security were respectful and friendly...We had a bag stolen from right beside us on our last night as we were on the beach at the rear of Algarb...searching around I bumped into two other people who had also been victim to these people, they were looking for keys....saw some Australians on beach gave them a warning and they said they had the same happen to them the previous night...The piece of wasteland needs addressing by police, council, hotel...We went to the local police station to file a report and found them friendly and helpful...overall, it was a great stay in a great location...The beach is as clean as fellow tourists leave it, plenty of bins to utilise...African guys at the back really friendly, gotta big up Borak and Ali-bab, looked out for us a couple of times...will be coming back again next year for sure.

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g659635-d237040-r294904198-Hotel_Algarb-Playa_d_en_Bossa_Ibiza_Balearic_Islands.html#

Just got back from probably my 30th trip since 1969 (I went with my parents when I was 14) and I'm saddened to say that the vibe has changed so much. It's hard to go anywhere without being accosted by a multitude of strangers who are either trying to sell you something you don't want or trying to rob you. It's often hard to tell 'em apart.

So I went to DC10 on Thursday morning about 2.00am to catch up with friends. The club inside was so packed it was too uncomfortable to stick around. Lots of pushing and jostling by ignorant people and just unpleasant. I decided to try and go in again @ 4.30am or thereabouts to catch Jamie's set. I was only in there for around 30 seconds when my phone got pick-pocketed. I felt it happening but by the time I got my hand to my pocket it was gone. I turned straight around and was surrounded by numerous faces all shoving me in the opposite direction. I took the hint and got out.

This was a professional gang. Very very slick. I'm careful and they got me for the first time. I told security and they shrugged and went about their business. Not bothered at all. It's one thing to be ramped on the ticket and drink prices (and the barmaid, delightful as she was pretty much insisted on a tip too), but another to be targeted by a professional gang and have my property nicked.

They need to start getting a handle on this as it doesn't make for the right environment for the kind of carefree holidays that I've always managed to have in Ibiza over 45 years. Walking through PDB reminded me of the Reeperbarn in the 60s and Times Square in the 70s. Such a different kettle of fish from the Ibiza of the 70s and 80s, which exuded a much nicer vibe. Maybe this is the price of success but at what cost? The police should be cracking down on this stuff. I don't know why they aren't. They seems to be a lot of crime going on over there. Are the authorities doing anything?

Ian D

:mad: Looks like Dc10 is famous place to rob people for purse snatchers, taking the advantage it's very packed(lost 2 mates there(one let his cellphone in my car :twisted:), took 1h00 whatsapping to meet otherspotlight even telling i'm at the entrance door of main room close to shop/dustbins & under the clown logo).
At circoloco DC10 opening 14,for her last ibz day, a german woman mate let her cellphone in front of the deskbar when ordering a drink & in a few seconds , her cellphone has gone with some of her opening 14 pictures :eek:,i was supposed to meet her there(she missed the meeting point 01h ago in front of vista mar/burger king in front front her hotel Algarb because her cellphone was off & i was willing to wait for her more than 1hour(as when i plan to go to a party with mates & do agree for a meeting point, we ALL go there :cool: takin into account there are always delay when planning meetup) but the 2 other spotlight mate were so willing to go to dc10 early :rolleyes: around 7.00pm...) but she didn't find me(giving her my place at dc10 when she entering the place but got issue battery :oops: switchin of/on) So be very WATCFUL IN DC10!!!

Last edited:
In all the clubs in ibiza mobile phone goes down the front of my jeans once in the club or in my mrs bum bag that she keeps to the front, even though i think theyre hidious contraptions theyre handy to keep money and phones in once inside clubs and be aware whos around you..but i do think clubs should make more effort in refusing entry to thease gangs.There was a few in space a couple of weeks ago..now why do you need to be takeing a fkn ruksack in a club i say,i just looked at this guy as if to say you mite as well have a sign on your head saying pickpocet, i smiled at him and he jogged on.

Well, forearmed is forewarned I guess but this was not the kind of thing we had to worry about too much in the 70s, 80s and most of the 90s. When you're on holiday it's pisser having to be on 'full-alert' all the time. I didn't realize I was walking into a thieves paradise unfortunately (no pun intended).

These things happen and I can take it on the chin but it saddens me to see the island going down this road. Ibiza's always had a slight edge but now that slight edge has turned into more of an edge of a particularly dark and dangerous murky tunnel full of thieves, charlatans, dealers, hookers, 'looky-looky' men, hustlers and general ne'er-do-wells. Is this the road that Ibiza really wants to go down I ask myself?

But the key question is: why aren't the police and security personnel cracking down on this? Do these guys with rucksacks full of mobile phones get searched and hassled? I'm at an age where a shrug doesn't cut the mustard anymore I'm afraid.

Apart from that, everything was great! :)

Ian D :)

Well, forearmed is forewarned I guess but this was not the kind of thing we had to worry about too much in the 70s, 80s and most of the 90s. When you're on holiday it's pisser having to be on 'full-alert' all the time. I didn't realize I was walking into a thieves paradise unfortunately (no pun intended).

These things happen and I can take it on the chin but it saddens me to see the island going down this road. Ibiza's always had a slight edge but now that slight edge has turned into more of an edge of a particularly dark and dangerous murky tunnel full of thieves, charlatans, dealers, hookers, 'looky-looky' men, hustlers and general ne'er-do-wells. Is this the road that Ibiza really wants to go down I ask myself?

But the key question is: why aren't the police and security personnel cracking down on this? Do these guys with rucksacks full of mobile phones get searched and hassled? I'm at an age where a shrug doesn't cut the mustard anymore I'm afraid.

Apart from that, everything was great! :)

Thats one thing i like about uk clubs and theres not many..Say i takeing my messinger bag in a club after work they make you cloakroom it and give you ticket and i think thats right!!..Thease guys stand out a mile for me,they dont look like theyre there for the right reasons,they dont get the music etc

yes. exactly this road .absolute desaster whats going on.
add dirt, (water) pollution almost everywhere plus almost no fresh water reservoires anymore !!

These guys stand out a mile for me,they dont look like theyre there for the right reasons,they dont get the music etc

Yep. They also tried to unzip my wife's bag in the club but she was quicker than me. But you have to ask yourselves why are these guys allowed to operate with impunity? This was a professional gang. Instead of security looking busy scanning the outside terrace of the club, shouldn't they have had a bigger presence actually in the club, KNOWING that this is going on?

It's obvious DC10 don't take this stuff seriously, which tells you everything you need to know right there.

Back