Top tip: Watch out for pickpockets at all times

As I said above, pretty damn amazing there isn't more of this! Holiday destinations like Ibiza are probably the last places in some way where cash is still king! Most people bring 1,000€ of €uros away with them! In the UK I carry £20 at anyone time. Have been on a project in Stockholm for 2 months and never touched money. EVERYTHING is card. Taxi, if you buy a banana etc, they do not do cash at all. I'm intrigued how many of the big clubs get cash off their premises, and even if they do a number of drops a night. 3,000 people spend average of say €100 you have at-least €300,000+ on your premises!

Had a great time on the island last weekend! But in relation to this post, i did nearly get mugged walking through the hippy market area of PDB on the way back to Figuertes with a friend after visiting Vagabundos.

Several visitors to the island have complained of what would appear to be a growing number of pickpockets operating in PDB. I would be interested to hear from people affected if there is a typical profile of the scumsucking shitbags so I know who to look out for when I visit in just over two weeks time.

How did u almost get mugged?

Walking with a friend through the hippy market area of PDB around 5:30am, one bloke comes pacing around the corner from the beachside. "You wanna buy stuff?" gets closer puts his arm round me and yanks at my manbag, at which point i pushed him off and jogged p the opposite direction towards the pizza shop and i look back and 4 other blokes step from round the corner. Good job we didn't continue that way.

I don't if this is a regular thing with these individuals or whether they thought they'd try their luck with some wandering tourists.

Either way, it wasn't nice.

Walking with a friend through the hippy market area of PDB around 5:30am, one bloke comes pacing around the corner from the beachside. gets closer puts his arm round me and yanks at my manbag, at which point i pushed him off and jogged p the opposite direction towards the pizza shop and i look back and 4 other blokes step from round the corner.

I don't if this is a regular thing with these individuals or whether they thought they'd try their luck with some wandering tourists.

Either way, it wasn't nice.

Never had a robbery attempt , thank christ. But certainly lost my bumhole on at least 2 occasions at this very same place when people have appeared from nowhere acting suspiciously. Stopped walking this route for that very reason. Better to stick to the (better lit) main road. For the sake of the few minutes extra walk it's worth it to stay safe.

Even if you're in a group of 3+, if you're all mangled it isn't much of a reassurance.

It's been a while since I've stayed in Bossa so can't think where the 'hippy market area of PDB' is'?

there are actually two, but none of them really deserves the name hippy market area...

the one in question is on the small street leading from in front of sal rossa apartments to santos suites.

(the other sort of hippy market is at the far end of playa d'en bossa, past hard rock hotel on the right hand side)

Are those African women still there on the promenade from Bar M to Burger King in San Antonio? They are bloody annoying, they got me the first time, put a bit of string on my wrist, did some weird rubbing of my hand and said some African words, theres me thinking oh thats nice shes reading my palm or something, then her big hand clasped my wrist, she wasnt goona let go! She was demanding 10 euros to let do, without being overly forceful I managed to get her off, and also told her to f off lol! After that, whenever we walked past we walked on the wall to avoid them, also advising other people to avoid them, to their annoyance!!

Hand a few moments in clubs when I felt hand in my pocket, its always when you are sardined in somewhere, and most wouldnt notice the hand with all the bumping into people, my mate lost his phone and wallet that way once.

^^^ top tip (and also a bit of a laugh) > if you ever got odds n sods loose change ie. 1 & 2 cent coins, carry these in your hand, and as said women approach you, drop them on the floor.

They will dive on them hoping that you've dropped something of value, thus diverting their attention away from you and allowing you to walk past hassle free. Everyone's a winner. You get left alone, they get small change. You also get rid of unwanted shrapnel. Bonus.

The African women aren't there around the BK area, but there are still prostitutes of different ethnicities. It doesn't seem as 'obvious' tho and rampant as PBD.

Next time I'd probably take a cheap wallet with a chain so it would be attached to my shorts but I have no idea what I'd do with my phone. I know its best to club without it but it's nice to use it to take numbers of friends who you meet down and stuff easily and take pics and stuff.

Yep a few charachters knocking about after Space in pdb....Thease people are experts at spotting the weak ie being to wasted or if you feel intimidated by them in some way. People have no reason to walk in to your personal space after a club so question it nice and early,be aware whos at the back of you in clubs all the time, be a little more streetwise!. Just because ibiza isnt giveing it the 10 ten shots for 5 euros in an magaluf frat party way doesnt mean its more safe, its just diffferent,have your witts about you at the right times in ibiza...keep smileing;)

I've bought a money belt that you wear inside your shorts, it fits my phone too. I got done by the 'salsa' dancing guys wandering back from Space on my own, cleaned my wallet out of cash but left the cards luckily. F***ers!

Also denim shorts are a good idea, as the material is more substantial than flimsy cotton or nylon. Keep your wits abut you if it's at all possible and you'll be fine :)

Had a great time on the island last weekend! But in relation to this post, i did nearly get mugged walking through the hippy market area of PDB on the way back to Figuertes with a friend after visiting Vagabundos.

Is this the streets near the roundabout? It's sh!t when something like that happens and leaves you feeling less secure and carefree.

Sticking to the main road is prob a good idea, tho sometimes when you're a wee bit worse for wear, it's tempting to take the back streets so people can't see the state of you. :rolleyes:

^^^ top tip (and also a bit of a laugh) > if you ever got odds n sods loose change ie. 1 & 2 cent coins, carry these in your hand, and as said women approach you, drop them on the floor.

They will dive on them hoping that you've dropped something of value, thus diverting their attention away from you and allowing you to walk past hassle free. Everyone's a winner. You get left alone, they get small change. You also get rid of unwanted shrapnel. Bonus.
Nice..i like it:)

Just come back from 8 nights away. Stayed at Mare Nostrum in Bossa so had some experiences on the quieter sections around there.

Despite seeing the usually obvious guys looking to rob anyone can it must be said it didn't seem any worse than normal.

Noticed some guys in the clubs with rucksacks that were looking dodgy around us, a quick dance towards them with a smile and a held out hand soon had them on their way!

The worst I saw however was in Bora Bora. A rather hench looking African fellow was all over the birds, this was later on when it was abit quieter and it was so obvious. Another lass intervened and he started grabbing and threatening her. My mates jumped in and told him to leave him alone so every started! Spoke to the barman who said it was nothing to do with him and the guy was within his rights to do that to here. It stunk, especially when the African said he had paid them to be in there looking for a woman! Pretty shady so we left and so did the girls.

Just keep an eye on the people around you, and if you're a female and you're concerned someone is getting abit close then either leave or find some 'friends' around you!

i am regularly in bossa with my 13 year old son at night (and before you ask why lol, it's because he loves the trampolines and the slices of pizza at the tiny italian pizza place in the middle of the block after steak n shake) - and i have never, seriously never, felt on edge or worried. this is mostly between 9-11pm. i don't look spanish either. it could be that this is too early though?

there's some excellent advice above which applies everywhere not just ibiza. i laughed at the small change idea - top tip lol

i am regularly in bossa with my 13 year old son at night (and before you ask why lol, it's because he loves the trampolines and the slices of pizza at the tiny italian pizza place in the middle of the block after steak n shake) - and i have never, seriously never, felt on edge or worried. this is mostly between 9-11pm. i don't look spanish either. it could be that this is too early though?

there's some excellent advice above which applies everywhere not just ibiza. i laughed at the small change idea - top tip lol
Yeah me and this mrs calmly walked back from space to the nostrum a few times,there are people hanging about,not spanish,theyre either african, or maybe gypsys somebody said to me a few years ago but nobody approches us at that time because its home time...btw we love that pizza place.

Back