Top tip: Watch out for pickpockets at all times

^^ probably a few of them on a %. Stands to reason, doesn't it ? A bit like reception staff who always claim they've checked the CCTV and seen nothing - but cannot release the tapes lol. Like walking into a back street with a big sign on your back saying "ROB ME, ROB ME NOW !" :lol:. You can bet if you really kicked off the cops would claim they found coke on you and arrest you instead. This isn't Kansas anymore, Toto ....

I've never felt remotely threatened or uneasy in either San An or PdB. Two blokes tried that pretend dance thing on my girlfriend and I on Las Ramblas after El Classico a couple of years ago and were told to f**k off. It's amazing what an angry Scottish accent can do to people haha

So you knew it was a thievery technique? I never knew, I just thought they were being annoying. I would have backed off then...

I felt bad for accusing the looky looky dudes after as the night after some guy tried it again on me. The LL dudes were saying it was them that took it... And it made sense after the second night when the guy did it...

I wish I had a more complete Ibiza experience. I guess I know for next time...

Can ppl post other type of thieving techniques these lowlives use? We could save someone else's holiday...

My angry scots 'don't even think about it' glare is usually enough without even having to open my mouth :lol:. But you can't relax and let your guard down for a minute, especially when you're on your own.

There's the old bracelet thing which was/is a San An favourite. Basically, just expect everyone to be capable of distracting you while they rob you and you'll be fine. As I say again and again - walk with your hand firmly on your wallet in your pocket. No b*gger's going to pick it if you do that.

Two blokes tried that pretend dance thing on my girlfriend and I on Las Ramblas after El Classico a couple of years ago and were told to f**k off. It's amazing what an angry Scottish accent can do to people haha

Actually remember seeing footage of people doing that to someone in a documentary about pickpockets in Barcelona.

So you knew it was a thievery technique? I never knew, I just thought they were being annoying. I would have backed off then...

I felt bad for accusing the looky looky dudes after as the night after some guy tried it again on me. The LL dudes were saying it was them that took it... And it made sense after the second night when the guy did it...

I wish I had a more complete Ibiza experience. I guess I know for next time...

Can ppl post other type of thieving techniques these lowlives use? We could save someone else's holiday...

I just had been warned that pickpocketing was rife in Barcelona so i was particularly wary. We had been at the Nou Camp for the game and were wearing Barca tops but my girlfriend is blonde and has fair skin so we probably stood out as tourists. Two guys just sort of started dancing round us as if celebrating the result and i made Lu stop dead and told them to f off. They realised they had been rumbled and just sort of skulked into the crowds... either that or they were genuinely Barca fans who didn't understand why the angry man was shouting at them :eek:

The mrs said one time that i was extremely sweet but at imes just excuded "don't f**k with me, i think she meant it as a compliment :D :eek:

Romanian shuffle im sure its called. Also be careful of guys playing a little game of football around you while you're passing by.

Not funny that they had pretend pickpockets at elrow the other night. Ok, they were in costume, but still sticking their hands in your pockets! For someone more far gone that could have been a bit freaky..

Just wondered if you are usually able to get into a taxi right outside Space in the early hours? Like Pacha do taxis queue up? Never been to Space in 8 years (I know) and after reading this (stayed in PDB all my Ibiza career too and touching wood I've never seen anything unsavoury) but like to keep my guard up and what I imagine will be a heavy night for me and hub I think i'd prefer to dive straight into a taxi in the small hours if I can??

yes there are always taxis outside space don't worry.

also, even though I definitely agree that the vibe has sadly changed lots in pdb over the past few years and that there are more shady people around nowadays, I also think some comments on here are taking it a bit too far. in all the years I've come to ibiza as a holidaymaker (first) and now since I've been living here all year round (which is now 4 years), I have never encountered any 'situation' myself in playa d'en bossa. of course you do get talked up by prostitutes at night - just move away quickly. and as for pickpockets, I think it's actually similar as everywhere else in the world - just be wary when random people approach you and never have your wallet in your back pocket.

the main pickpocket problem is still in the clubs, spangled girls not taking care about their bags. the one recommendation I can give to any girl is NOT having her phone or wallet in there - give it to your boyfriend/mates and they shall keep it in the front pocket of their trousers.

the main pickpocket problem is still in the clubs, spangled girls not taking care about their bags. the one recommendation I can give to any girl is NOT having her phone or wallet in there - give it to your boyfriend/mates and they shall keep it in the front pocket of their trousers.

Agree on this. It still never fails to surprise me the number of trashed girls in say DC10 with their little hand bags wide open with everything on show..... Only to see them in tears outside an hour later as everything has gone!

Wholeheartedly agree with the handbag thing, I got pickpocketed in Pacha 4 years ago. A friend and I had been out in Ibiza Town before going to Pacha, and it being my first proper holiday to Ibiza since the first West End centric one when I was 18 I had a camera in my handbag so I could take some photos of Ibiza Town etc. Then obviously a few hours later in Pacha, it was crowded, I was getting bumped, I felt a jostle at my side but didn't think anything of it, went in my bag a bit later and noticed the flap was up and the camera gone. Halfheartedly approached the desk bit and asked if there was even a minute chance it had been handed in, and they said that there are basically organised gangs that just go around the clubs pickpocketing. Lesson learned, would never be so naive again, I'm militant about turning my bag the other way round now so the opening bit is against my body, or having bags with zips. Best advice I could give to a girl going out there. It was a good lesson for when I went to Barcelona last year, although I honestly didn't notice any obvious pickpocketing tactics there. Perhaps that's the point!

As Stivi said though, you get this anywhere. Barcelona is 10X worse, you have to watch it in Fabric London some nights too. Same rules apply - just take out enough cash for the night, and if you have debit / credit cards - just take one of them. And leave the Mont Blanc wallets at home! I'd be more gutted if I lost my actual wallet! ;)

Back