The building formerly known as Space --> HÏ Ibiza

The crude irony hits you in the face when the man who is taking ownership on Space next year is named "Piss-en-em". Nuff said... Let the pee party begin.

So frustrating to read this, I've always thought Ibiza will stay the same as it always been, 10-12 years ago, for me the peak was 2005-2006, it will never be that again.

I'll probably go again, but I don't know what to expect. *sigh*

So frustrating to read this, I've always thought Ibiza will stay the same as it always been, 10-12 years ago, for me the peak was 2005-2006, it will never be that again.

I'll probably go again, but I don't know what to expect. *sigh*

What's happening now in ibiza hasn't just happened in one summer - it has been slowly but surely going this way for years. Afters coming to an end, Matutes empire building hotels, VIP culture taking over. You could see the island changing and becoming more upmarket.

I can remember going for the first time in '05 and people were saying it was becoming too much of a millionaire's playground even back then.

It's ony now when somewhere like Space actually does close and another chunk of the old ibiza we knew goes away that the reality seems more apparent.

something I can't believe really, but it's doing the rounds, is that what used to be space might not reopen this coming summer just yet, but only next year. I'd be surprised if that was the case.

I wouldnt be surprised if old space venue did not open this year,I am sure they would want make it look different to the old space and there is not much time at all to get it done. would be alot to get done in four or five months

I can see the logic in this if true. Let the dust settle on space closing for 1 season and give people time to miss the club. Have a refurb create some rumours and open with its own identity in 2018. I know a lot of the younger generation at my work talk about it and pretty much all of them did not expect it to be open this year.

gotcha ali and M.E., a few valid points there, but here's why I'd still be surprised:

the same company (the matutes' group) managed to refurb and open hard rock hotel within just one winter. and that was a huge thing. changing space into '(insert club's new name here)' will definitely mean less work than that. especially because it's the matutes group, I am sure they can easily get that done in the months they've got left. prove me wrong, but I believe it's totally doable. furthermore, keep in mind that not opening for 2017 could mean quite a hefty loss of earnings. and knowing that there are ongoing talks with various promoters also makes me believe they'll open next summer and not only in 2018 ;)

gotcha ali and M.E., a few valid points there, but here's why I'd still be surprised:

the same company (the matutes' group) managed to refurb and open hard rock hotel within just one winter. and that was a huge thing. changing space into '(insert club's new name here)' will definitely mean less work than that. especially because it's the matutes group, I am sure they can easily get that done in the months they've got left. prove me wrong, but I believe it's totally doable. furthermore, keep in mind that not opening for 2017 could mean quite a hefty loss of earnings. and knowing that there are ongoing talks with various promoters also makes me believe they'll open next summer and not only in 2018 ;)

Stivi, do they own the car park land around it too? i.e. could they add / change the structure? Maybe they realise that they have to make it a different proposition in order to totally break from Space. Are promoters telling them this? However..... I agree you could easily do this is weeks if you wanted to. Maybe they think people need a year away from the venue before they miss it?

No doubt they could spin it round in time. Lets be honest that club doesnt really need touching but they have to put there own stamp on it and i fully expect they will make big changes. Vip tables and booths everywhere for starters

I'm not 100% sure that they will just throw VIP tables everywhere. But on some nights I think there will be a demand for it which they will fulfil. Space had a LOT of tables on some nights, and a whole VIP balcony area - we all like to erase this from history. If I was them, to shut people like us up, I would rip off the roofs on the two terraces and take it back to basics. That would stick two fingers up to many people

Stivi, do they own the car park land around it too? i.e. could they add / change the structure?

as far as I know they do yeah.

it's all rumours for now really, but from what I've heard (and what also would make sense to me) is that...

a) they apparently won't actually use all of the old space rooms. if you look at it as a night club only, it's pretty clear which ones those could be...
b) they'll update/change the ones they will use.

but I'll say it again, 'tis all just rumours. I guess we'll only find out when they open or reveal some plans themselves!

Stivi, do they own the car park land around it too

They own the water park,so i suppose so. I was talking to a fella at the water park in september and he told me the water parks last year is 2017. And that the same people ,(matutes group) who own space own the park. My little boy was not impressed.. he reckons they had better build a massive new one or when he grows up,he'll never go to one of their establishments and order a bottle of dom pèrignon.

They could quite easily just change the function of the rooms, for example keep the discoteca as a club room, but the terrace could change into a restaurant, in which case they could rip the roof off again and have it open air, then all it needs is Brandon Block and Alex P to turn up with some records and start playing them (quietly) in the corner.. you can see where this is going :)

They could quite easily just change the function of the rooms, for example keep the discoteca as a club room, but the terrace could change into a restaurant, in which case they could rip the roof off again and have it open air, then all it needs is Brandon Block and Alex P to turn up with some records and start playing them (quietly) in the corner.. you can see where this is going :)

Maybe yeah. But when you have a 5,000+ outdoor area across the road, I suppose you don't need a multi multi room venue. E.g. the old Sun Set Terrace, El Salon etc. Make a restaurant on the old Premier Etage. The only way IMO that people will accept this is if it is a totally different concept to what was there before...

I really hate the thought of them not still using the sunset terrace. As much as I loved the entire club, I could live without El Salon and Premier Etage if they really feel the need to mess around with the club that much, but there is something about the sunset terrace.

I hate an incredible night at Space Closing and its something I will never forget, but I still struggle to watch the videos and come to grips with the fact it is the end. I find it far easier thinking back to this years opening party... what an incredible night that was :D

Back