Tell us how it was - Ibiza 2019

I've recently been to a festival and the thing that struck me most was not once did I see people posing with their phones or standing in the middle of the dancefloor filming the DJ. It was heads down dancing, 1980s/90s style. So refreshing. Hats off Field Manuevuers.

IMO phones have destroyed any enjoyment of going out anymore, people obsessed with filming everything and if they’re not their heads engrossed in the screen chatting to people and stuff oblivious to what’s going on around them. It’s ruined the art of conversation aswell hasn’t it?! Watch footage of clubs and it’s just a sea of phones. Something needs done really

IMO phones have destroyed any enjoyment of going out anymore, people obsessed with filming everything and if they’re not their heads engrossed in the screen chatting to people and stuff oblivious to what’s going on around them. It’s ruined the art of conversation aswell hasn’t it?! Watch footage of clubs and it’s just a sea of phones. Something needs done really
i’d say it really depends which club or event you are at, for instance at shadows or who cares at cova santa i didn’t see many phones in the air and when then only for a really short time, but at ants at ushuaia i’d say it was every second person. i do understand that some people don’t like it, i personally like to watch people, clubs, djs instagram stories, specially of a party that i visited and see myself behaving like a monkey. i don’t really care what others around me are doing.

There was a guy with a selfie stick in front of me at resistance last night, filmed a huge part of the night. Hope he’s at home enjoying last night on his iPad.

ok, here's mine. nothing too epic. we packed a lot in though. Featuring also a few selected vignettes, overheard quotes and general observations:

Dates you were there: 14-22 September. I was supposed to return on the 20th, then eventually rebooked for the 21st and only got home on the 22nd. This was due to all sorts of personal stuff/rows/misunderstandings I won’t go into on here - in addition to the hapless ineptitude of Vueling. All I will say is that it was a massive stress. I have learnt a few valuable lessons about holiday planning and the value of relationships and clear communication from the fiasco.

Where you stayed: S’Alamera apartments Santa Eulàlia . Decent serviced apartment in the centre of town which I thought was good value. Parking wasn’t a major issue. We dealt with a very kind/attentive Italian woman called Sandra, who did not deserve any of the rudeness/sarcasm she got from one English dickhead on the floor above. I stayed with 3 pals who had travelled from different countries – a bit of an overdue reunion. I really liked SE this time. I always thought it was a bit boring in the past but I met a few people from the local community at various local bars which were such good fun. Brits, Spanish, Dutch, plus a magnificent Romanian who sat next to me for 3 hours and who I did not understand once, sinking hierbas at the Project Social and Café Royalty and other bars off Sant Jaume. Also a special shout to Juan from Jaén (mouthful!) I don't understand the Andaluz lisp that well either! I also have some friends who live there so I didn’t really feel like a tourist at times especially when you’re in a garden round someone’s house discussing real world stuff.

“You’re the nicest English people I’ve met”

Hippy-count in San Joan: 17

Number of pro-VOX banners in Ibz town: 1 (political reference for those that know)

Club nights visited: Sunny Side Up @ Malanga, Mercury Rising @ Pikes, Transmoderna @ Pacha. I’ve already written about them elsewhere on here but each was brilliant in different ways. Essentially with the right amount of research, local connections and musical knowledge you can still find proper parties. Was particularly impressed by Malanga. It won’t to appeal to those on here who seek the big brand / big room / big tech experience and it’s not on the prettiest street but as a tiny local venue with roots-driven music, it is fantastic on every level. There is a vague ‘no-house’ music policy but that soon went out the window as my pal went deep on the decks. Great international crowd too and a cool Brazilian (self-appointed?) drummer who showed everyone how to attack the bongos. It gets lively there after 3 when other bars shut. Open till 6. Top vibes.

“Please let me keep the bottle-top”

Number of battered Meharis on the road: sadly only 4

Best night: All 3 were top notch – the Monday at Pikes just edged it, perhaps because I didn’t stop dancing for about 5 hours to music that just induces a continuous warm glow.

Essential in-car listening: OpenLab – totally leftfield music unlike anything else around.

Worst night: None by night. The only disappointment was Sa Trinxa this time – perhaps I overhype it in my head? I dunno. It just felt like another beach this time with added music rather than the camp circus of merriment I had come to expect. Perhaps it’s more fun when Franco plays even if he takes it cheesier. Weird as that sounds. Still fantastic in the water though. Got mauled walking back to the car. Apply that repellent on the beach as you get up to leave… the parades were as funny as ever. Especially when the dour Music On lot caught up with and got entangled with the infectiously enthusiastic Flower Power kids. Nice to hear Ace 'How Long' and Steely Dan 'Do It Again'. We will be back.

“It’s all disco here Gary. Shall we go?”

Best bar: La Torre probably – a great little session from Jose Padilla. A little unlucky because the clouds were out in force but churlish to complain. The hierbas there is top notch. Also a very quick pitsop at The Giri Café in San Joan. An astonishingly beautiful part of the island. (Sshh. Don’t tell everyone imbécil )

Number of indiscreet drug dealers offering 'keys' at outside tables in family cafes: 1 (and whilst you’re at it, I’m not your ‘bruv’ )

Best place to eat: I did fish around for quality food tips on here and suggested a few which never materialised. In the end no great gourmet feasts, with a couple of exceptions – at Platja des Niu Blau + the lovely roadside restaurant Es Verge (Sant Josep) where I got the whole garden involved in my friend’s secret birthday surprise. We also got invited to a Thai meal in Santa E heading south down the beach which was average. I heard the ‘W’ chain are planning on decimating that stretch with one of their hideous resorts… locals are worried. The food at the restaurant at Benirras (the one on the right as you emerge from the sea) was disappointing, but it was convenient. It is annoying when you spend months on this forum using the reviews as research only to never apply it in practice!

Number of drummers heard at Benirras: 1 - the last man standing?

Papa Sunset: probably La Torre. Enhanced or ruined (depending on your point of view) by the Mambo-sponsored hang-glider circling high above

“You want some pure Moroccan hashish? Homegrown by me in... Amshterdam."

Money spent: sin comentarios…

Fave beach: Platja des Niu Blau – a first time for me. The water had calmed by this point following the unexpected roughness at erstwhile favourite Cala Nova earlier in the week. I spent a lot of time just floating in the water. The ultimate destress. Unspoilt. The little hippieish/organic bar at the top left is pretty cool too.

Retro moment: I had a nice chat with the guy at Traspas y Torijano (D’Alt Villa) - picked up a ‘76 print – would’ve preferred an original but money talks..

Gifts purchased in Santa Gertrudis boutiques: 2 (the gorgeous girl serving me at ‘Angels’ used to live just behind me in BCN. Lots of laughter and a very reluctant departure)

Multicoloured egg-shaped rock sightings: 1 (at Cala Nova)

Celebrity spots? no biggies but did have a very interesting conversation with a certain Back 2 Basics "legend"

Going back? Is the bear a Catholic? Does the Pope shit in the woods?

Biggest regret: the timing of the trip and all the behind the scenes stuff / not making it to some better restaurants / not seeing familiar faces from previous visits

Top tips: Park in the sandpit right at the top of the hill at D’Alt Villa if you want to avoid those blue lines. Smile at cops at checkpoints. Use Moto Luis. Not just economical but very friendly too. Don’t be an arse. And above all: Go local, think local, act local.

ok, here's mine. nothing too epic. we packed a lot in though. Featuring also a few selected vignettes, overheard quotes and general observations:

Dates you were there: 14-22 September. I was supposed to return on the 20th, then eventually rebooked for the 21st and only got home on the 22nd. This was due to all sorts of personal stuff/rows/misunderstandings I won’t go into on here - in addition to the hapless ineptitude of Vueling. All I will say is that it was a massive stress. I have learnt a few valuable lessons about holiday planning and the value of relationships and clear communication from the fiasco.

Where you stayed: S’Alamera apartments Santa Eulàlia . Decent serviced apartment in the centre of town which I thought was good value. Parking wasn’t a major issue. We dealt with a very kind/attentive Italian woman called Sandra, who did not deserve any of the rudeness/sarcasm she got from one English dickhead on the floor above. I stayed with 3 pals who had travelled from different countries – a bit of an overdue reunion. I really liked SE this time. I always thought it was a bit boring in the past but I met a few people from the local community at various local bars which were such good fun. Brits, Spanish, Dutch, plus a magnificent Romanian who sat next to me for 3 hours and who I did not understand once, sinking hierbas at the Project Social and Café Royalty and other bars off Sant Jaume. Also a special shout to Juan from Jaén (mouthful!) I don't understand the Andaluz lisp that well either! I also have some friends who live there so I didn’t really feel like a tourist at times especially when you’re in a garden round someone’s house discussing real world stuff.

Number of pro-VOX banners in Ibz town: 1 (political reference for those that know)

Club nights visited: Sunny Side Up @ Malanga, Mercury Rising @ Pikes, Transmoderna @ Pacha. I’ve already written about them elsewhere on here but each was brilliant in different ways. Essentially with the right amount of research, local connections and musical knowledge you can still find proper parties. Was particularly impressed by Malanga. It won’t to appeal to those on here who seek the big brand / big room / big tech experience and it’s not on the prettiest street but as a tiny local venue with roots-driven music, it is fantastic on every level. There is a vague ‘no-house’ music policy but that soon went out the window as my pal went deep on the decks. Great international crowd too and a cool Brazilian (self-appointed?) drummer who showed everyone how to attack the bongos. It gets lively there after 3 when other bars shut. Open till 6. Top vibes.

Best night: All 3 were top notch – the Monday at Pikes just edged it, perhaps because I didn’t stop dancing for about 5 hours to music that just induces a continuous warm glow.

Essential in-car listening: OpenLab – totally leftfield music unlike anything else around.

Worst night: None by night. The only disappointment was Sa Trinxa this time – perhaps I overhype it in my head? I dunno. It just felt like another beach this time with added music rather than the camp circus of merriment I had come to expect. Perhaps it’s more fun when Franco plays even if he takes it cheesier. Weird as that sounds. Still fantastic in the water though. Got mauled walking back to the car. Apply that repellent on the beach as you get up to leave… the parades were as funny as ever. Especially when the dour Music On lot caught up with and got entangled with the infectiously enthusiastic Flower Power kids. Nice to hear Ace 'How Long' and Steely Dan 'Do It Again'. We will be back.

Best bar: La Torre probably – a great little session from Jose Padilla. A little unlucky because the clouds were out in force but churlish to complain. The hierbas there is top notch. Also a very quick pitsop at The Giri Café in San Joan. An astonishingly beautiful part of the island. (Sshh. Don’t tell everyone imbécil )

Number of indiscreet drug dealers offering 'keys' at outside tables in family cafes: 1 (and whilst you’re at it, I’m not your ‘bruv’ )

Best place to eat: I did fish around for quality food tips on here and suggested a few which never materialised. In the end no great gourmet feasts, with a couple of exceptions – at Platja des Niu Blau + the lovely roadside restaurant Es Verge (Sant Josep) where I got the whole garden involved in my friend’s secret birthday surprise. We also got invited to a Thai meal in Santa E heading south down the beach which was average. I heard the ‘W’ chain are planning on decimating that stretch with one of their hideous resorts… locals are worried. The food at the restaurant at Benirras (the one on the right as you emerge from the sea) was disappointing, but it was convenient. It is annoying when you spend months on this forum using the reviews as research only to never apply it in practice!

Papa Sunset: probably La Torre. Enhanced or ruined (depending on your point of view) by the Mambo-sponsored hang-glider circling high above

Fave beach: Platja des Niu Blau – a first time for me. The water had calmed by this point following the unexpected roughness at erstwhile favourite Cala Nova earlier in the week. I spent a lot of time just floating in the water. The ultimate destress. Unspoilt. The little hippieish/organic bar at the top left is pretty cool too.

Retro moment: I had a nice chat with the guy at Traspas y Torijano (D’Alt Villa) - picked up a ‘76 print – would’ve preferred an original but money talks..

Gifts purchased in Santa Gertrudis boutiques: 2 (the gorgeous girl serving me at ‘Angels’ used to live just behind me in BCN. Lots of laughter and a very reluctant departure)

Celebrity spots? no biggies but did have a very interesting conversation with a certain Back 2 Basics "legend"

Biggest regret: the timing of the trip and all the behind the scenes stuff / not making it to some better restaurants / not seeing familiar faces from previous visits

Top tips: Park in the sandpit right at the top of the hill at D’Alt Villa if you want to avoid those blue lines. Smile at cops at checkpoints. Use Moto Luis. Not just economical but very friendly too. Don’t be an arse. And above all: Go local, think local, act local.
very nice review! makes me dream about floating in the water again, btw. i was also listening to OpenLab in the car and can confirm that they played a very good selection of music.

Good review!

Have picked up some great tips.

Great review my friend

Sounds like you had a good time despite misgivings about organizational matters. Not been to Malanga, sounds like it's definitely worth a visit ! I used to pop down to Niu Blau for a quick swim if I was in that area early part of the decade but not been in ages. Was nice and peaceful there - seem to remember it does get a bit shady !!

Sounds like you had a good time despite misgivings about organizational matters. Not been to Malanga, sounds like it's definitely worth a visit ! I used to pop down to Niu Blau for a quick swim if I was in that area early part of the decade but not been in ages. Was nice and peaceful there - seem to remember it does get a bit shady !!
The shade at Niu Blau has saved my life many a time ?

Agree on MotoLuis, very good service.

Returned a hire jeep back to them last summer after 5 days of heavy use and looking like it had been in a Mad Max film.

They were totally cool about it ??

This one read like a page turner :) thanks :)

Arrived on the 10th September and left on the 18th, 8 nights all up. Regret not booking a few more nights as the weather was quite bad for most of the time we were there. Calmed down on the day we were leaving. But shit happens.

Stayed in Playa Den Bossa, The New Algarb. Only wanted a bed to sleep in with some comfort. Aircon barely worked and the bathrooms are fkn rubbish. Nearly slipped and cracked my head a few times as they are shower/bath combo. When you open the sliding door to access, you have to awkwardly step onto the curve of the bath. Most nights i popped in earplugs and left the balcony door open for sea breeze. Worked nicely.

Nights Visited: Tuesday 10th/Bodyworks, Friday 13th/Shadows Closing Party, Monday 16th/Cocoon

Best Night: This is a huge toss up between Shadows and Cocoon, both blew my expectations out of the water. I love Amnesia, the feel of the place just makes me seem at home. Cova Santa had a similar feel, the outdoor vibe and just everyone dancing was fabulous. Magdalena was killing the decks. Until of course the rain set in. We were able to hide from the rain for a short while, the bar area next to the stairs down to the toilet/club area. Made a mad dash after 10mins or so but got completely soaked still, my partner wasn't enjoying wet shoes/messy hair etc. Killed the night for her. But i kept on going. Everything moved down into the club, man it was humid. Sweating like crazy and certain other things made me overheat. Once we caught the bus to continue on at Amnesia my excitement hit peak level. Solomun was amazing! Everyone was just dancing, plenty of room to groove, not many phones and just great tunes. I was dancing like a mad man, we finished up around 2am. I would've kept going until close but cant please myself only. 9/10

Cocoon is just a plain 10/10 for me, we arrived around 12.30 and were there as the terrace filled. Plenty of room to dance and just let loose. Spent most of our time over by the Stairs that access the VIP area. Next to the bar/womens loo etc. The build up by Sven was fricken epic, seeing his Mum in the booth and his bro dancing in front is something i will never forget. Everyone was just vibing and wanted to dance and go crazy. This is why i made it over... Amazing. Bailed around 4.30am.

Worst Night: My partner really wanted to see Fisher, it was the night we arrived. After 40+ hrs of travel i was hanging by a thread. Pre arranged a few things which put me in the mood. Headed out to Dunes for a couple of pre drinks around 11pm. Grabbed the tickets there instead of door prices. Rocked into Hi Ibiza around 1pm. Ok... so a few things of changed. Style is a big one. I have never in my life see so many bums. I'm not complaining but wow! Fishnet dresses with G strings everywhere. Definitely wasn't our style as there was a lot of younger crowd running around doing young things. Music wise Camelphat/Solardo killed it. Popped in to see Fisher, way to crowded and his tunes were Ok. The whole feel of the nightclub didn't vibe with me or my Partner at all. Like many have said, it feels like people are constantly moving around. Being able to dance is nearly impossible and the phones were a joke, basically 80% of people were filming most of the time. 4/10

Best Bar:
Didnt do to many bars tbh, im not a huge drinker. But Dunes had a nice feel.

Best place to eat: Most nights we walked around Playa Den Bossa and just picked a different spot to eat. Nothing to write home about. One place which was fairly nice. San Antoni - La Cantina, couldn't fault the meal here. Great portion for the price also.

Money spent: Sheesh... Ok, so trekkin over from Australia. This was quite an expensive trip, around $6500aud, for flights, accom, car hire and spending money.

Biggest regret: Not staying out to close on both Shadows and Cocoon.

Going back?: Will be sooner the 12yrs ill tell you that much. Hopefully 2021 or even next year if possible. But 2021 is more likely.

Top tip: Hire a car or scooter. Being able to trek around is amazing. Saw so much more of the isle this time, easily tops my first trip over by quite a bit. I used Hiper rent a car as the prices were under Moto Luis and others. Got full insurance, luckily i did as someone caved in the rear bumper of my hire car while parked up at a Suma deli.

Also if you get a chance head out to Es Canar for the Hippie Market, great selection of stuff to buy. The had some rocking live music on while we were there. Playing all sorts of older hits, great atmosphere.

Last edited:
Back