stivi's ibiza chronicles

cheers kimajy. hmmm your ibiza ban should be over soon isn't it? ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
cheers kimajy. hmmm your ibiza ban should be over soon isn't it? ;)
surely not possible that you are on a ban!

Great photos, making me feel very home sick, 1 week booked in Jan, haven't been since August and shizen am I missing it. Keep the pics coming.

surely not possible that you are on a ban!

Great photos, making me feel very home sick, 1 week booked in Jan, haven't been since August and shizen am I missing it. Keep the pics coming.

Yup. I made a pledge to salvage a relationship (or 2 ....). people felt a bit "crowded out" by the frequency of my absences and the time it was taking me to re-engage upon my return it seems ..... so there are time-debts to pay off aplenty, which I'd rather do properly and get it over with. May have to be a little less self-indulgent if I am to continue to be able to have my little doses of pleasure ;)

Also haven't been back since August. Feeling less homesick now than a month ago - shutting off the "calling" willingly has helped a lot and time is flying by. So that has to be a good thing I guess.

6th december is a bank holiday in spain (dia de la constitucion). in switzerland, where i grew up, they celebrate santa claus' day on 6th december...with a lot of chocolate and (mostly) with a lot of snow and freezing temperatures. so i was pleasantly surprised when i woke up today and it was another beautiful, sunny and warm day here on the island. time for another hike and finally i got to do the walk from playa d'en bossa to es cavallet along the coastline.

i went solo today and started my walk in central playa d'en bossa, walking in southern direction towards the tower (torre des carregardor). the tower was closed unfortunately though; i wish they'd open it again, the views from up there are great. just after the tower, there is a small bay (cala la xanga) of which many don't even know. there are a few fisherman's houses and after that bay, the interesting part of that hike begins. it's really funny, both playa d'en bossa and es cavallet/salinas are bursting with people during the season, but the bit in between is an area where you get total solitude even in high season i'm sure...but then again, it's too hot to do this hike in august i think. i really loved to finally see that bit of the coastline, it's absolutely pristine. at the end of the track you get to restaurante la escollera at the north end of es cavallet. as la escollera is open all year round, i was tempted to have a break (and lunch), but i realised i wasn't really hungry yet and so i continued...all the way along es cavallet, until the next tower (torre de ses portes) and then towards salinas. in the small coves of salinas there were even people sunbathing today. but other than that, i've also made an unpleasant encounter in one of said coves...see pictures below.

the last bit of the walk was salinas beach. i ended my hike getting back to the road...and then, spontaneously went for lunch at can masia, the small bar/restaurant just opposite hostal mar y sal.

compared to the previous hike i did (mentioned above), this one is easier (less ups and downs). it took me 2:15hrs to get from playa d'en bossa until the end of salinas (meaning the road), but i have to add i walked quite fast today. maybe calculate roughly 3hrs if you want to do the whole hike and if you're only interested in the piece where you are in complete solitude (from the tower until you reach la escollera), that one took me an hour, so maybe calculate 1:15h. lovely and planning on doing more! pictures below...

ushuaiatowers.JPG

the ushuaïa towers...under construction, they were working even on a bank holiday

kayak.JPG

some guys kayaking along playa d'en bossa...nice!

torredescarregador.JPG

tower number one on the hike...

calaxxx.JPG

and the bay just after torre des carregador...the fun starts here!

coastline.JPG

the coastline with es cavallet and the second tower already within sight...

arrow.JPG

yup, always follow the arrows...and don't worry if you don't find one for a while, just follow your intuition, you won't get lost

escavallet.JPG

looking back on quiet es cavallet beach

torredesesportes.JPG

and here's tower number two, torre de ses portes!

salinassculpture.JPG

salinas always has nice surprises waiting for you...

BUT...(mind out!)

deadfish.JPG

...but today there was an unpleasant surprise waiting in one of the coves...poor soul! it almost looks like a dolphin - can anyone identify the species? it was really tall, i would say 1.5m for sure. how on earth did this animal end up on the beach???

salinas.JPG

looking back on the last bit of my hike...

meeeooowww.JPG

more animal encounters...but very much alive this time! those guys were really keen on my marinated salmon i had at can masia! :lol:

Nostrum, first congratulations on those amazing pictures, they did bring back lots of good memories as I did the PdB - Salines walk too a couple of years ago.

When I did mine it was the beginning of September on a very warm day, originally went to look at the Torres de Carregadors (isn't that also called Sal Rossa?) but once spotted the nice little cove with the fisherman houses, I decided to have a look a bit further, before I knew it I was half way through!

Several times I thought I was mad for attempting that especially not having any water with me and wearing a pair of flip flops but the few "What the funk I have done!" moments were soon replaced by the amazement of seeing the breathtaking views and the good feeling of being surrounded by the pine trees and nice coastline, it felt a completely different world and I couldn't believe how peaceful it was up there considering the buzzing beach I just left behind me.

I did have a few slips on the way and horrible images of the "127 hours" movie did come to my mind several times but I soldiered on and definitely felt enormous relief when I spotted the first sun umbrellas tips from Es Cavallet!
A couple of hours later and In spite of few bruises and scratches I made it to Salines where I rewarded myself with a nice dip in the clear crystal waters in one those nice little secluded cove which have always been one of my favourite spots in the island.

I'm very glad I did it, I love walking and my dream is to cover the entire island's coastline if possible. obviously done bit by bit ;-)
Next one I definitely want to do is a walk around the coastline overlooking Es Vedra.

I hope you do more too and keep us updated with more pictures; I love to see Ibiza when is quite and definitely want to try to get there off season to appreciate it even more.

Thanks G.W.!

the Torres de Carregadors (isn't that also called Sal Rossa?)
yes it sure is - many of those towers (i actually think most of them) have two names.

I love walking and my dream is to cover the entire island's coastline if possible. obviously done bit by bit ;-)
have a look at this: http://www.walkingibiza.com/around-island-walks.php
am very tempted at doing it myself, but it's really too soon after the whole closing party marathon and there's also ADE amsterdam round these dates normally. pity, it's really something I'd absolutely love to do!

I hope you do more too and keep us updated with more pictures
will do!

Nostrum, thanks for the link, I've heard of "WalkngIbiza" before and what the guy organizes is definitely right up my street!
They also do "day walks" too, in fact I believe there is one today too, if I were fortunate enough to be living in Ibiza that would without a doubt be something I would get involved with.

I know what you mean by doing the "Walk around the island" so soon after the closing parties marathon but on the other hand, what a way to detox eh? 8)

...oh dear, you have now planted a seed in my mind, LOL....time to get planning me think! ;)

Nostrum, thanks for the link, I've heard of "WalkngIbiza" before and what the guy organizes is definitely right up my street!
They also do "day walks" too, in fact I believe there is one today too...

yeah toby is a great guy and i've actually just come back from today's walk with him ;)

of course the around the island walk would be great detox, but this time of the year is just spent differently - quiet time and say goodbye to everyone before people leave the island. but again, if that walk would be done in a different period, i'd definitely want to do it.

no walking reports this time. instead just a quick feedback about saturday night: timo maas at sirocco was AMAZING! superb music. this guy is SO underrated. the afterparty was also funny ;)

no walking reports this time. instead just a quick feedback about saturday night: timo maas at sirocco was AMAZING! superb music. this guy is SO underrated. the afterparty was also funny ;)
I think he's underrated because he's inconsistent. Sometimes I've seen him and it was good, other times not so much.

just a quick one, but ibiza global radio is on fire tonight!
has been a bit hit or miss lately, but tonight is gold (sequencias by toni moreno, that was)

just a quick one, but ibiza global radio is on fire tonight!
has been a bit hit or miss lately, but tonight is gold (sequencias by toni moreno, that was)

always ****ing amazing music :arrow: vintage radio show by sebastian gamboa

so...i think ibiza has just seen the coldest week of this winter. a week ago it got really cold with some crisp winds which made even a sunny day feel really chilly. then we also got some rain, and last sunday night, when i was on my way to santa ines, i swear i saw some snowflakes (i was completely sober!). the full moon walk i was going to then got postponed to monday night due to the bad weather. on monday night the sky was (at least particially) clear so we had a lovely, but bitterly cold full moon walk on the pla de santa ines - with some last remaining almond blossom (the wind had taken a lot of it away already). it stayed cold for another few days and then thursday and all yesterday, it rained. proper downpour. and this on balearic's day - bank holiday. it rained almost all day, something that doesn't happen too often here, but I made the best out of it and enjoyed my day at home. that's something else that doesn't happen too often because the weather mostly gets better over the day and you still get the chance to go out. but here's how ibiza looked on thursday afternoon

winterstorm.JPG

but when i got out of bed today, the sun was back in full glory. time for some activity!! first off, i can now confirm that the san an promenade, all the way from calo d'es moro (golden buddha) until past the windmill in front of the ocean beach and hawaii hotels and back again, is a superb inline skating track - at least in the winter months when it's not too crowded. also, the promenade is sort of a social meeting place on a sunny day - you wouldn't believe how many people you meet there, taking a walk, and how much news, gossip and rumours you can get!

by the way, those loving their inlineskating a bit more freestyle, head to the skateparks. there is a pretty decent one in can coix, on the road to santa ines coming out of san an (not too far, just before you head left to cala salada). there's also one on the outskirts of ibiza town, but the one close to san an is definitely better.

glorious sunny day in san antonio today

molino_sanan.JPG

and an arty edit of the café mambo sign, also taken today

mambo.JPG

my outdoor activities didn't stop with inlineskating today though.

after a delicious goat cheese salad and a wrap in rita's cantina, i remembered i had one walk sitting on my to do list for ages already. cap nuño. those not knowing what and/or where it is - next time you're in san an, look to the right as you look out to the sea and there you'll see it, a mountain that looks like an oversized kicker of a skate- or snowpark. for years i wanted to hike up to the top and only recently, when talking to toby from walkingibiza, i promised myself i'll be going there soon. getting close is quite easy, take the road to cala salada and when you arrive at cala salada, don't turn left where you arrive at the beach, but just follow the dirt track straight. it will take you a good few kilometers all straight ahead, but when you arrive at a dead end sign, turn right and soon after that, left again (straight ahead is an entrance to a villa). soon you have to park the car and from there, it's hiking all uphill really. the trail isn't as clearly visible, but still manageable. once you're on top of cap nuño, you'll be rewarded with the greatest view over the coastline of the whole san an area - from cala salada, punta galera, onwards to san an and the bay up until cala conta - on a clear day as it was today - you'll get it all. and to top it off - you can see both sa talaia and the tip of es vedra from there as well. superb place. total tranquil, the only thing you hear is the wind and the waves from far below you. i was up there just before sunset and it's magic, will go back for sure. if you do go yourself, bring of course enough water and do it in trainers, flip flops won't get you up there. also, if you want to do it for sunset, then either start going back downhill right after sunset or then bring a torch, else your way back won't be too smooth.

capnuno.JPG

i've done some more walks over the winter, will upload more pics at some point!

This is very interesting, I've been thinking about climbing up there.
How long will it take from where you left your car?

Back