stivi's ibiza chronicles

a few thoughts to the openings...

sankeys opening (the first one) on thursday
really busy and really really good music in all three rooms, loved david august! they need to sort their air con out though, it was really hot and it's only the end of may!

IMS grand finale on friday
loco dice killed it! but overall very good music from a to z. and the location is unique anyway (the visuals projected on the cathedral were something else!!). very busy - in fact sold out from 10pm onwards.

ushuaïa opening on saturday
very busy. luciano on from 9pm onwards and until 3am i think (more or less). musically a few nice pieces (there was one mellow track he played twice which i really loved), then his usual stuff and a few lowlights (snap's rhythm of a dancer bootlegged - oh dear). loads of beautiful people though. and you may think about ushuaïa what you want, but one thing has to be said - they have done their homework over the winter. the stage production is the best there is in ibiza. the lighting, the dancers, acrobats and performers are really top notch. the ushuaïa stage now also features two megatrons (ice cannons).

space opening on sunday
perfectly busy in my opinion, considering it's an opening party. of course, you know the deal - it gets really busy in the inside bits once the car park closes, but as you already might have heard, the car park this year stayed open till bang on 2am! that was a really cool surprise and carl cox delivered a great set including 101s rock to the beat some time past 1am (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zN-u2eJUVpc&feature=related) and the ever brilliant knights of the jaguar as penultimate track just before 2am...

dc10 opening on monday
was only there for a few hours. again very busy but really bearable compared to other dc10 openings/closings i had attended in the past. as far as i know they stopped letting people in at some point, which is sh*t for the ones outside, but was perfect for everyone inside because you could actually move and dance! musically not the best dc10 i've ever been to, but timo maas dropping doppelwhipper on the terrace and the apollonia crew airing their own minneapolis touch were two cool moments. sure many more cool mondays to come this summer...

Last edited by a moderator:
... ushuaïa stage now also features two megatrons (ice cannons) ...

is that smaller dj-booth (on the opposite side of the main stage) they used @ senses
new or was it already there in 2011 ?
can´t remember seing it last year ...

is that smaller dj-booth (on the opposite side of the main stage) they used @ senses
new or was it already there in 2011 ?
can´t remember seing it last year ...

i'm not sure either but i think it's new. don't think they will use it a lot in summer, but it's good to use the beach club side (that's how they call it) for smaller events now that the island isn't full yet.

alright guys, no posts here for a long time - apologies. time for some 2012 closing party chronicles!

well the last clubbing weekend of the season proved to be a hell of a dancing marathon as foreseen, with parties going end-to-end from friday night until today morning. we all know it's still not done with the second part of sankeys closing tonight, but that's the last biggie then.

first things first, i think the best thing about this year's closing weekend was the simple fact the clubs weren't as badly packed as in the last two or three years. don't think it wasn't busy though, all the parties were very well frequented, but it never got to such a level as we had gotten used to recently.

our weekend started on friday night with privilege closing and a drink at el ayoun's closing party beforehand. i am not the biggest fan of el ayoun as such, but it is a very nice venue and every now and then, they're having some decent parties. on friday the place was not busy at all when we arrived though (1:30ish) and the music was also not my cuppa tea, so we literally stayed just for a drink. over to privilege then, which was already buzzing with people. the thing i am most pleased about privi this season is that they finally updated the club substantially for this year. if you compare the club today to 2007/2008, they're as different as chalk and cheese. the sound system is finally really powerful and lives up to such a big venue (was always the major deficit there IMO). then they've spent a lot on lighting and visuals. especially the huge LED wall in the main room is a breathtaking feature. to me, privi's main room now is again a very attractive huge area for a big room production. apart of the main room, the privi guys have a done more to the club - the chill out beds in the garden (to the left of the main room), a decent bar area in the dome (a place that was simply ignored for a few years), then tables to sit, have a drink or a fag and enjoy the views towards ibiza town just next to where the restaurant used to be and now vista blue (privi's smallest room) is located. and last, but not least, of course the vista club (ex coco loco + la vaca). with parties such as el row, they had proved this summer there is indeed a great dancefloor for underground music and parties. i must admit i will always have a soft spot for privilege, because of its history and its past and also because the people involved show a lot of affection for what they do and i do think now they're really on their right way. but back to the closing party. even though lady gaga did not happen in the end (and yes, they had booked her), it was really busy everywhere. the main room was home to the supermartxé crew where the biggest hits and a lot of mashups were played. if you've never been to supermartxé before, then i strongly advise you to plan it in next year. the music is one thing, but the whole show and stage production is definitely the best i've seen on the whole island this summer, period. then over to vista club, where man of the season solomun had just started his set and more and more people arrived to catch him. we played it very safe that night and only stayed for a few hours at privilege, so we missed digweed, the sunrise and the early morning feeling in vista club, but others of our team of course stayed, so check the official review.

back home for a few hours of sleep and a very nice late lunch at hostal talamanca in preparation of the madness to come on saturday afternoon.

then we made our way to ushuaïa for its closing party. we arrived just before it got dark and again didn't stay for the whole night, i think we left around 1am. but still, a few lovely hours in a perfectly busy ushuaïa with reboot, solomun (of course) and then luciano. i wish they'd have been a bit more creative with their closing party line up, but constancy also does the trick. luciano's intro with the choir singing live was a goosebump moment! more about ushuaïa closing in our review. already curious to see what parties will be happening at ushuaïa next year! :)

another very few hours of sleep and then my alarm clock rang at 5:30am on sunday morning. breakfast, shower and then a taxi to amnesia for their closing party. arrived short after 7:30am and danny tenaglia was already playing. musically, he built a nice bridge between the matinée sound that had been played before him and the tech house and techno fest that would follow after him. obviously also a few classics like "music is the answer" were dropped. i was extremely happy amnesia closing this year wasn't as unbearably busy as the two or three years before. yes of course it was busy, but perfectly busy with a bit of room to dance and a great crowd. mar-t came on after danny t and steered into techier stuff (but also mixed in michel cleis' mir a nero at some point to brighten things up). by then also most of our friends had arrived and the party kicked fully into gear. maetrik was on after mar-t and he was one of the highlights of the fiesta for me. simply great music. also steve lawler did a great job and then it was marco carola who took over. hmmm...i have a bit of a split opinion about that guy. technically, he's a great DJ, there is no doubt about this. but i've heard him a few times this year and sometimes, his sets unfortunately just bore me because there is sooo little variation within the sounds. another point is that he's not showing any affection when playing, no interaction with the crowd or anything. he of course seems very concentrated in doing what he does, but the combination of his sound sometimes being very the same for what seems hours and his "non-activity" behind the decks just bore me at times. and even though his set wasn't bad, it was how i felt for the first three hours of his set (2-5pm). the last hour although was a completely different story. i don't know any of the track IDs, but the sound he played between 5 and 6pm (when amnesia closing finished) was off the hook and people went for it. overall, not the best amnesia closing i've ever been to, but you know amnesia closing party will always be my favourite day of the year! and i'll happily get up very early next year again :) here's our review!

after amnesia, got a taxi very quickly, drove home for the compulsory pit stop (consisting of a shower, fresh clothes and dinner) and then made our way to space. we decided we'll give the amnesia/music on afterparty at la plage as well as sankeys' secret party a miss and concentrate on space this year. by 10pm we were in and stayed on the car park until it closed, so we got the last hour of dubfire b2b carlo lio and the whole of coxy's set. and as always, the car park was a big reunion of friends, season workers saying goodbye and some forum people as well of course (hello sweet sensation and pauly)! after the car park had closed we escaped the masses and went to el salon for a while and a few drinks. unfortunately missed matador's live gig in the discoteca, but were back for a bit of hawtin and then switched between discoteca and terraza where radio slave and later nick curly were playing. didn't stay at space till the end (because had other plans) and left at 7am. official review here!

back home for another pitstop (shower, fresh clothes, breakfast) and then off to ushuaïa for the cadenza closing afterparty. when we arrived (short before noon time), luciano had already played his set and it was lee van dowski and andrea oliva (and then again LVD) playing. especially andrea oliva played a really great set. and doing the afterparty in the beach club part of ushuaïa (just behind the paddling pool) and not on the main stage/dancefloor was a great idea - this location is a pretty damn perfect place for an afterparty! loads of cool people around, dancing in the sunshine and a lot of great tunes. that afterparty went on until about 4:30pm and was honestly one of the highlights of this year's closing weekend!

back home for one last pitstop (shower, dinner and fresh clothes i think) and then off to dc-10 for its closing. arrived there at 8pm and got straight in. also dc-10 got never as unbearably busy as the last few years. it was very busy, but always manageable. we got a bit of dubfire in the main room (which, contradictory to other opinions on here, was too hard for that time of the day and mis-placed in the running order IMO) and then dixon (who played a superb set, but right in between dubfire and marcel dettmann and ben klock in the main room? - that's just a weird running order!). then we got a bit of seth troxler in the garden and also a lot of squillace's and tanzmann's set, who played the last slot in the garden and only closed at 4 or 4:30am-ish instead of 2am (although the volume went remarkably down at around 2am, but it was still loud enough). then made our way into the main room again and enjoyed damian lazarus' closing set, he played a blinder of a set and closed at 7am. penultimate track was the original version (not the holden remix) of one of my alltime favourites - nathan fake's "the sky was pink". with dc-10 not being ridiculously rammed it was very much enjoyable!

back home after that and finally to bed.
spent tuesday in bed and recovering at home - didn't make it neither to the dc-10 afterhour at sands nor sankeys' closing party part 1.

today already feeling much better and getting ready now to hit sankeys' closing party part 2 in an hour or so (official review to follow of course)

extremely great closing party weekend, with super quality people and just the perfect amount of clubbers around everywhere!!!

your stamina never ceases to amaze me! when you refer to having dinner/breakfast/lunch did you really eat? great season for you and here's to 2013!

last clubbing weekend chronicles...

even though the big club closings all happened the weekend before, this weekend proved to be the REAL closing weekend with a very local and super friendly vibe...

on wednesday i made a short visit to sankeys for their second part of their 24 celebrations. i was still too tired though to properly appreciate the party and left early.

thursday night and friday daytime was all about the monza villa party which happened in ibiza's most spectacular location. some of the long time forum members know the place and the views you get from there are the absolute non plus ultra. vera, binh and riardo villalobos played (amongst others) and that party was simply the highlight of the season for me.

Friday night – lovely dinner (and a heavy rainstorm) and a quiet night in.

saturday night saw lio, underground and km5 having their closing fiestas. We first had dinner at la tana with friends, then made our way to lio for a bit, then wanted to go to underground (arrived there at around 3:30am), but they didn't let anyone in at that point, it was too busy. And as we didn't want to wait, we continued to km5. Stayed there until 8am (was still going strong then). We then left, but others of our group then went back to underground. Both km5 and underground only closed sunday afternoon!

We slept all sunday daytime and only got up in time to go and catch the sunset at cap d'es falco. Then we drove to amante for their closing party (even though the venue will stay open until 21st october as I've noticed). Stayed there until midnight (again very busy).
What a great weekend!!!

the walk (salinas - cap d'es falco)

one of the things i had wanted to do for many years is the walk/hike along the coast from salinas to cap d'es falco. and last weekend i finally did it! 8)

it is one of the walks featured in the walking guide you can get on the island and even though it is not a very long one, it's not the easiest one because of the harsh ups and downs on the way.

we parked our car at salinas and started walking south, until the end of the road. you'll all know this view...(but maybe not with that little population)
salinas-cdf1_5.JPG

then you get onto a path, leading you along some fisherman's houses and further along south. soon you arrive at the end of that point from where salinas looks like this
salinas-cdf_2.JPG

after that, the hills start. here's salinas from a bit further
salinas-cdf_3.JPG

a bit later you'll walk up to an even higher point from where you can...
...look back at salinas/es cavallet
salinas-cdf_4.JPG

...turn around and see es vedra, plus all the way from cala llentrisca, porroig, cala jondal hidden behind the mountain and up to sa caleta on the right... (apologies for the arty edit on this pic ;) )
salinas-cdf_6.JPG

...turn further around and see cap d'es falco and es codolar...
salinas-cdf_5.JPG

on this pic you can also clearly see the path going along the edge of the mountain - such a beautiful hike!

after the last hill you'll have a splendid view down to cap d'es falco, the southern part of the salines and the airport
salinas-cdf_7.JPG

and soon you'll find yourself down at cap d'es falco...with es codolar being one of the few proper pebble beaches of the island
salinas-cdf_8.JPG

what's left of the walk is the easiest part really - a walk along the rim of the salines back towards salinas. we saw a group of flamingos, but they were too far away to be captured on cam
salinas-cdf_9.jpg

and before you get back to salinas, you obviously pass by the salt mountain of salinas - quite an amount of salt there at the moment!
salinas-cdf_10.JPG

with a small break it took us three hours to make the whole hike. I'd definitely recommend this walk for those who like to hike. the walk can be done in trainers, no problems, but i wouldn't do it in flipflops really! there are some really steep parts. bring enough water and a snack as well. I'll definitely repeat this hike in the future, but wouldn't do it in the midsummer heat. if you do it in the warm season, there is even a secluded beach (only reachable by boat or afoot) right underway where you can stop and cool yourself down with a dip into the sea.

i love ibiza in winter!!!

fantastic pictures,better than postcards!

This walk is on my to do list. did attempt bossa to salinas via hill path,bad mistake starting at noon in august...

@don - yeah the pdb - salinas walk is also on my to do list, hopefully i'll get to do it before the end of the year!

One of the best posts I have seen here for a long time.......well done sir. Can I nick it?

The cloud in that edited photo looks evil!! :eek::lol:

i'll be using the airport view from the last hill picture as my screensaver i think.... :D

is this path good enough for a bike??? or would i spend more time carrying the bile than riding it? :)

The cloud in that edited photo looks evil!! :eek::lol:

i'll be using the airport view from the last hill picture as my screensaver i think.... :D

is this path good enough for a bike??? or would i spend more time carrying the bile than riding it? :)

ha yeah you get some good effects when editing pics...and it's a lot of fun as well!

well the view down to cap d'es falco, the salines and the airport (and of course es vedra to the left) from that hill is really splendid. we were also lucky to get a day with almost no wind at all - makes a difference as well on the pictures where there's water.

no that trail isn't really bike-suitable in my opinion, you'd carry it a lot I guess.

alright guys, here are a few more ibiza winter pics. most of them are (quite obviously) far more edited.

speaking of evil clouds...playa d'en bossa on a cloudy day...
evilsky.JPG

and playa d'en bossa on a glorious winter day...
pdb_winter.JPG

strolling through dalt vila...
daltvila.JPG

dalt vila again - but looking up to the sky...
daltvila2.JPG

salinas sunset...
salinas_sunset.JPG

la republica ibicenca :)
ibz_republic.JPG

... ;-)
atlantisbuddha.JPG

i sometimes also upload pics on instagram, stiviibiza if anyone fancies following me.

Back