stivi's ibiza chronicles

right, here´s now also a review of my monday night and tuesday. after all the openings and IMS I took 24 hours off so I could enjoy cocoon opening to the max.

our night started with a dinner at heart. I have been there a few times at night (clubbing), but have never eaten there. this year, they have taken up things a notch I heard from left, right and centre and also, heart have invited a lot of island and industry people to go and test their menu. now, I´m not the biggest fan of dinner shows and when I go out for dinner, I like eating well, but have my limits in terms of spends. but obviously I didn´t say no when I got an invitation for two people to go and try the heart experience.

and what can I say - it was truly a fantastic experience. the food, the service, but also and actually mostly, the show. this is where they´ve improved massively, judging by what people say that have eaten there in past years too. now it is really up to cirque du soleil standards and IF you do have the money and want to experience something unique, I can honestly wholeheartedly recommend trying it. last year´s shows apparently were always a bit experimental and made people think whereas now it´s more spectacular and probably a bit closer to what you get at lío. I genuinely didn´t expect to like it as much as I did.

after heart we went back home to get changed (I had even ironed a shirt for the occasion at heart, but that´s simply not a rave outfit) and then headed to cocoon. we were in by about 2am so got the last hour of koze whom I liked lots. then it was time for sven who did a good job. not my fave väth set ever, but still great.

afters, as you have already read elsewhere, were in a house. pretty intimate this time. dorian paic played first and then sven. sadly the party got stopped and then moved to pikes by about 8pm. by that time some of our group were done and so we called it a night. the afters were super lovely though, very friendly crowd, wonderful decoration and simply a fantastic vibe. oh, and there were a few other forum members present too! :)

Here in the US we get pretty limited vacation time, so I'm hitting up Croatia, Ibiza (3rd season) and Greece during my trip. Only get to be in Ibiza Aug 26-28. I was trying to stay at Ibiza rocks but there seems to be a minimum 3 night stay at the hotel. I'm about to email their sales team to see if they let me do a 2 day booking. Has anyone dealt with something like that before? Any luck getting pass that silly rule? Any advice would be helpful. Otherwise we will be staying at Don Pepe a few blocks away (But I've love to try Ibiza Rocks)

something different for a change. I´ll explain a bit.

hiking.

I grew up in switzerland and when I was a kid my parents always took me hiking. I genuinely hated it back then.

2012 I made my permanent move to ibiza and it´s about then when I sort of re-discovered that I actually do like hiking. in winter I did a lot of hikes with toby who runs walkingibiza. then in 2014 I did the round the island walk with him. an experience that was the fire starter for me. I was hooked on hiking. so I started to do more hikes on the island and bit by bit an idea arose.

so right after the 2016 season, I made a really long walk - from my old house near bern in switzerland to barcelona, then ferry over to ibiza and walk home. that was an amazing experience and I´m gonna do more of that in the future for sure.

this past weekend I did another walk on here, here´s the text copied over from facebook if anyone is interested.

--------------

the trans ibiza express

day 1
faro de portinatx - es fornàs
41km

I spent the whole summer without doing any proper hikes - work and clublife just take completely over for a few months and if there's any spare time, then it's either the beach or scuba diving.

the idea of crossing ibiza north to south had been in my head for a while. because I did the round the island walk a few years ago, I know the entire coastline really well, but I also wanted to see more inland ibiza by going off the beaten track and away from the main roads we all know. so when august was finally over and I saw the weather forecast for this weekend (sunny, but temperatures a little lower), I knew this was it!

my GF yesterday evening gave me a lift up to portinatx right in time for sunset. while she drove back home (ladies night...and yeah she was pretty hungover today I'm told!), I had dinner at el puerto (thanks for the recommendation @jimmiz ). after that it was just a short moonlight walk to the lighthouse (had a torch with me but didn't even need it) where I set up my tent and spent the night.

I woke up early today and had breakfast while the day awoke. I was all packed up and ready to go just before sunrise, so I watched the sunrise (you could clearly see mallorca too from the lighthouse which is always nice) and then set off.

today's route took me to cala d'en serra first and then up to san juan (drenched in sweat already after the climb up from cala d'en serra). from there I continued, first to san lorenzo and then over to santa gertrudis, where I arrived right in time for lunch. after that, san rafael was next and that was how far I had planned to get. but I still had some energy left and also wanted to find a nice spot to camp so I ended up entering the valley of es fornàs. ibiza people might know casita verde yeah? well, my tent is set up right above and behind casita verde in a great spot.

more tomorrow - it's only going to be a two day mission this one, but I thought I might share anyway...final destination will be torre d'es savinar above cala d'hort (and then of course going to have a swim as well!)

--------------------

day 2
es fornàs - torre des savinar, cala d'hort
26km
total distance 67km

I had fallen asleep early and that also meant I woke up early, well before sunrise. so I had my coffee and brioche while looking at the stars. I enjoyed the silence and caressed the blisters I got yesterday (no wonder after no hikes all summer) and then started packing up and got ready for the second part of this mini trip.

the long lap yesterday was mainly possible because of the fact it was a flat walk for two thirds of the route. it was up and down right at the start, from portinatx to san juan, but once I was past that, it was really pretty flat. today's lap was the opposite of that...it started easy, but 80% of the walk were very strenuous. first I had a nice and easy warm up down the valley of es fornàs and crossing the benimussa area to san josé and this is where the fun started...

now if you look at a map you'll see san josé and cala d'hort aren't that far from each other if you make a beeline. but there is no straight road from A to B in this case. plus, I'm pretty sure no one of you was thinking I'd do this island crossing without passing by the highest point of ibiza. so, up to sa talaia first, then down the other side, only to climb back up another peak that I always had wanted to check out. it's the big cliffs to the right as you approach es cubells, right where you veer off to the right towards cala d'hort at restaurant mo...not sure of the actual name, one map has it as rota d'en paises, but am not sure that's what it's called. it's a super steep climb up there, but it's worth it - fantastic views down to es cubells and all the coast as far as cap d'es falcó and over to formentera...and as you continue walking along the ridge of the peak the majestic es vedrà comes into view!

another very steep descend followed down to the main road. then 20 more minutes along that road and then the dirt track leading to the tower overlooking es vedrà and last but not least one final climb up to torre des savinar and I was there. wow, 26kms only, but that was a bloody tough one today!

my gf, who felt decidedly better again today, came and picked me up. off to cala vadella for a long awaited dip in the sea. and the paella at maria lluisa and the siesta on the beach afterwards was just what the doctor ordered.

more tales from the trails soon amigos!

I shall add pictures too now, see if you can see them.

21150381_10155785324754662_2695625618675020001_n.jpg

portinatx lightouse at sunrise

21314859_10155785324619662_7994147875758614314_n.jpg

at the san juan church

21230780_10155785326889662_6504950162815490662_n.jpg

somewhere hidden!

21231237_10155785326754662_3254533456623290026_n.jpg

wow

21230769_10155785330109662_9135583672530539736_n.jpg

bloodymir!

21272147_10155785329524662_7175242712257288027_n.jpg

oh hey privilege!

21192254_10155785331389662_8984369844156138370_n.jpg

fall in love with life, yup that´s the spirit!

21192637_10155785331359662_7655678153806870525_n.jpg

day one.

21272130_10155788056314662_1400436250839211570_n.jpg

on sa talaia looking south east with porroig, cap des falco and formentera in the distance

21270779_10155788056399662_6817753789539643733_n.jpg

es vedra from an unusual angle

21248647_10155788056404662_7914777924872587843_o.jpg

the money shot

21272535_10155788056469662_5673129089010801372_n.jpg

compulsory finisher selfie hahah

21192948_10155788056489662_7984080027482800475_n.jpg

day two

Last edited:
Love to be doing this. This is something I'm gonna have to do, especially if it's do-able in 2 days. Might have said before, but a friend did the coast walk a couple of years back in October and said it was the best thing he has ever done. Can't remember how long it took but know it was documented by another Ibiza website.
You sure the money shot is not a postcard Stivi? ;) Looks amazing!

Love to be doing this. This is something I'm gonna have to do, especially if it's do-able in 2 days. Might have said before, but a friend did the coast walk a couple of years back in October and said it was the best thing he has ever done. Can't remember how long it took but know it was documented by another Ibiza website.
You sure the money shot is not a postcard Stivi? ;) Looks amazing!

it´s doable in two days if you´re a trained hiker. the around the island walk is done in 12 days nowadays by walking ibiza. I could probably do it in 8 if I went and did it again.

ha the money shot is mine entirely!

So allowing for 3 days it could be done comfortably then. Something to consider for a late October or early April trip. Would these be the right times to do it being that I struggle with the heat.

So allowing for 3 days it could be done comfortably then. Something to consider for a late October or early April trip. Would these be the right times to do it being that I struggle with the heat.

as craig says, if you´ve got 3 days it will be super comfy yeah. and yeah, october or april is good for that. just keep in mind that if you want to camp, it will be chilly (more so in april) and very humid - you´ll wake up to a damp tent 100%. but that´s just part of the game really :)

Cool. Out there on the 19th October for 5 days so will have some sort of idea weather wise. Thanks for the info.

@stivi congratulations for your mission :) i love hiking and i want to ask you: how have you organised this 2 days-trip? I mean, how do you choose the roads? have you walked only on path or even on asphalt roads? :)

@stivi congratulations for your mission :) i love hiking and i want to ask you: how have you organised this 2 days-trip? I mean, how do you choose the roads? have you walked only on path or even on asphalt roads? :)

80% was on dirt roads or hiking paths. the rest of proper roads, but never ones with a lot of traffic. I just chose a route away from the big roads whenever possible - knowing ibiza well helps of course

Back