SPTL086: Derrick May

Aside from a few screenshots of derrick mays hands has this Michael James person or anyone else came forward with anything substantial?
Sorry if iv missed it.

I do not defend the accused DJs. This is a very emotional subject, and the outrage comes from a good place.

However, I just want to be clear that there is nothing wrong with wanting to be surrounded by the women of your choosing. I personally do not think prostitution should be considered illegal, if the parties are consenting adults. Beyond the subject at hand (rape and assault), I see a lot of other "male" behaviors being pulled into the "portrait of a serial rapist". Most men (in my anecdotal experience and opinion) spend a significant amount of their adult lives distracted their desire for women (and/or men). Some are driven to excel and become exceptional in other areas to satisfy those desires in one way or another. Again, there is nothing wrong with that.

I am not targeting anyone in particular, and especially you @white_isle_calling you just happened to have it in yours reply recently. There have been others too. However, there seems to be some "mission creep" in general when wanting to denounce something that is obviously evil to include some things that only some find objectionable.

(I will now step back and "gird my loins")
I personally believe that it is not acceptable to request the presence of a sex worker/workers as part of your rider. Whether this is consensual by both parties is irrespective. It shows a flagrant disrespect and objectification of women. Where is the line drawn when a person has such a sense of entitlement?

@CasaNegron No slight on the sex workers, their business is their business. But it's back to the discussion we had on here yesterday, that behaviour doesn't reflect well. We're not talking about a few guys on a stag weekend hiring girls, we're talking about rider demands on a professional contract. Bit weird, don't you think?

No doubt some lowly female logistics girl at the club or promotion who had to make that phone call to book them

I personally believe that it is not acceptable to request the presence of a sex worker/workers as part of your rider. Whether this is consensual by both parties is irrespective. It shows a flagrant disrespect and objectification of women. Where is the line drawn when a person has such a sense of entitlement?

objectionable but a completely different kettle of fish to rape/ sexual assault. The two shouldn’t be conflated as articulated very well by the poster above

@CasaNegron No slight on the sex workers, their business is their business. But it's back to the discussion we had on here yesterday, that behaviour doesn't reflect well. We're not talking about a few guys on a stag weekend hiring girls, we're talking about rider demands on a professional contract. Bit weird, don't you think?
And to clarify on my part what I said is no slur on sex workers. As long as the individual is not being coerced in to the industry and is doing it of their own volition, it's there choice to make.
Making a demand as part of your rider is highly questionable.

Last edited:
Yeah, the whole concept is odd when the people at that end of the scale are already asking for 5 figure fees. Pay me lots of money and then give me some more overpriced shit for free!

I think we should all remember that our behaviour and character matter

If i went on holiday to South America and it transpired I got arrested for drug smuggling, would any of you on here believe I was innocent? Would any of my friends back at home? People would look to my form and make their assumptions. I'd do the same

My view would be you become complicit. How do you guarantee the girl isn’t working under duress or whatever. If I paid a DJ and he decides to do whatever , up to him.

Given it is big business and the professionalism involved, you’d not get away with asking for anything like that in the business world, so why this line of business.

I had the same thing with a DJ I had booked who was reasonably big at the time (05-07 era) was absolutely desperate for us to sort drugs. Refused to do it and in the end had to get a member of security to have a word. Verging off topic , but he also demanded a 5 star hotel - and there wasn’t one in the town, nearest was 12 miles away but kept going on about it despite probably only spending about 4 hours in it

My view would be you become complicit. How do you guarantee the girl isn’t working under duress or whatever. If I paid a DJ and he decides to do whatever , up to him.

I had the same thing with a DJ I had booked who was reasonably big at the time (05-07 era) was absolutely desperate for us to sort drugs. Refused to do it and in the end had to get a member of security to have a word. Verging off topic , but he also demanded a 5 star hotel - and there wasn’t one in the town, nearest was 12 miles away but kept going on about it despite probably only spending about 4 hours in it
Its fair to stand by your ideals, individually.

Its fair to stand by your ideals, individually.

I guess my point is - that’s when stuff gets out of control and it all becomes a bit blurry. It’d be much easier if industry wide there was a code of conduct Promoters / clubs / artists signed up to

Carl Craig came out fighting in his corner. Admirable loyalty if nothing else. Differs to the Morillo case, where none of his industry mates asserted he was innocent

wasn't aware it was the same guy. Yikes

Hasn't there been women come forward on their own account as well? Or has it all come from him

I guess my point is - that’s when stuff gets out of control and it all becomes a bit blurry. It’d be much easier if industry wide there was a code of conduct Promoters / clubs / artists signed up to

Fun talk. I like solutions, perhaps!

How would you enforce this on me if I am a subpar promoter or club owner in need of a good event to pay my mortgage?

I assume more than a few industry people read this forum anonymous. You never know where the ideas end up.

I guess a big part of it is ego, your been paid 5 figure amounts, it must be hard not to let it get to your head, that you can do and ask for anything. Then if no one tells you your been a prick, I guess it would be easy to carry on that way

Back