SPTL086: Derrick May

nail. head. it's depressing news and I don't enjoy the gossip about it at all.

Agreed. Don’t get to check out this forum much these days but the Morillo and now this thread caught my eye and have been reading the many posts whilst trying to get my head around it all.

It is very depressing and so awful for the victims involved. Whilst it shouldn’t matter and doesn’t - I can’t help feeling even sadder given that this is happening in a scene that has, for most of us, in some way shaped our lives.

I even found myself looking through our CD collection the other evening and questioning who are the good and bad guys.

nail. head. it's depressing news and I don't enjoy the gossip about it at all.

Even on this board though, there's opportunity to promote change though.

These are recent quotes from regular posters here:

"Seeing a (possible) suicide as a confession is a bit shallow. Maybe he f***ed up...maybe he didn't and the story turns out to have a different side. Not being able to play gigs around the world that he loved will certainly not have helped him in the last few months. Whatever it was that troubled him...let him rest in peace. He was a great DJ with amazing energy. I'll remember him for that. "

"Most of you know how things are played in the dj booth and backstage....afterparties.
Drugs and alcohol can totally diffuse things like consent or consciousness."

"Leave the man rest in peace"
"Innocent until proven guilty?
Sadly this doesn't exist in the minds of many.
The cornerstone of most justice systems in the world.
RIP Erick. "

"It's a little one sided. "Womanizer" doesn't equate to "rapist".
We will now probably never know for sure what happened there, but given his wealth, I find it very strange that none of his supposed countless victims sued him for big money over rape allegations. Isn't it a common practice in the USA? "

I could go on. But these people are on these boards and are very often reasonable and likeminded to the rest of us. I think it's good they are here, seeing what everyone else thinks.

Agreed. Don’t get to check out this forum much these days but the Morillo and now this thread caught my eye and have been reading the many posts whilst trying to get my head around it all.

It is very depressing and so awful for the victims involved. Whilst it shouldn’t matter and doesn’t - I can’t help feeling even sadder given that this is happening in a scene that has, for most of us, in some way shaped our lives.

I even found myself looking through our CD collection the other evening and questioning who are the good and bad guys.

I think we should take the music for what it is and not idolize the DJ. The same for other entertainers and athletes.

Would you feel different about classical music if you found that half of them were sexual predators? If the guy that invented ketchup was a pedo would you think about that every time you opened a bottle?

Sexual predators should be held accountable and prosecuted for illegal acts, shunned for unwanted behaviors. However this should not change what the music meant to you then, or now.

I think we should take the music for what it is and not idolize the DJ. The same for other entertainers and athletes.

Would you feel different about classical music if you found that half of them were sexual predators? If the guy that invented ketchup was a pedo would you think about that every time you opened a bottle?

Sexual predators should be held accountable and prosecuted for illegal acts, shunned for unwanted behaviors. However this should not change what the music meant to you then, or now.

I did read something about Vivaldi earlier!

Yes, absolutely and yes I’d probably feel the same about classical music and the inventor of ketchup (although I prefer brown sauce) but I don’t have the time to begin a personal crusade across all sectors of humanity - however as Buckley said, it is good that we can use this (and other forums, social media etc) for our voices to be heard, which is something at least.

Whilst I totally agree with your points and the general gist, I was just trying to get across how one can feel even more let down having being part of the same scene as the perpetrators. And by saying this doesn’t mean that the issue is more serious in the music/club scene than in other areas of life.

Yes, absolutely and yes I’d probably feel the same about classical music and the inventor of ketchup (although I prefer brown sauce) but I don’t have the time to begin a personal crusade across all sectors of humanity - however as Buckley said, it is good that we can use this (and other forums, social media etc) for our voices to be heard, which is something at least.

Whilst I totally agree with your points and the general gist, I was just trying to get across how one can feel even more let down having being part of the same scene as the perpetrators. And by saying this doesn’t mean that the issue is more serious in the music/club scene than in other areas of life.
Just know his crimes are not your fault.

"Seeing a (possible) suicide as a confession is a bit shallow. Maybe he f***ed up...maybe he didn't and the story turns out to have a different side. Not being able to play gigs around the world that he loved will certainly not have helped him in the last few months. Whatever it was that troubled him...let him rest in peace. He was a great DJ with amazing energy. I'll remember him for that. "

"Most of you know how things are played in the dj booth and backstage....afterparties.

RIP Erick. "

We will now probably never know for sure what happened there, but given his wealth, I find it very strange that none of his supposed countless victims sued him for big money over rape allegations. Isn't it a common practice in the USA? "

I could go on. But these people are on these boards and are very often reasonable and likeminded to the rest of us. I think it's good they are here, seeing what everyone else thinks.
He could of been sued...or paid women hush money... How would we know if he was.. Also he was more than just a womanizer with woman, he was sleezy with women

the music people I know are a lot more upset about this than featherweights like Morillo or Jackmaster. May isn't just a legend, he partly invented all this. techno might have emerged from the kratftwerk/a baker/bambaata cross-pollination of the early 80s (Bambaata - another one!) and later cybotron (juan atkins) but it was may who really put it on the map with strings of life and all his mayday work. the younger ones on here won't know just how HUGE this man is in influence. all those promoters who ever had him play now wondering what might have happened whilst he was in town. should stress that nobody I've seen is defending him or making excuses, although probably unwise timing of carl craig to talk up his music today with this storm in the background...
I feel the same way. A real punch in the stomach for techno and electronic music if true.
But hopefully all for the long term good of the scene and society in general!

Can anyone briefly shed light of the derrick may ripping off other people's music claims too.
Seen than mentioned over the years but never delved into it

Can anyone briefly shed light of the derrick may ripping off other people's music claims too.
Seen than mentioned over the years but never delved into it
Don't know about any direct rip offs, but it's well known that DM once said of Techno:
"It's like George Clinton and Kraftwerk caught in an elevator with only a sequencer to keep them company".

Don't know about any direct rip offs, but it's well known that DM once said of Techno:
"It's like George Clinton and Kraftwerk caught in an elevator with only a sequencer to keep them company".
Wasn't he first to do the orchestra stuff, long before Pete tong came up with the ibiza proms.

RIP Erick. "

Here we go again...cutting and pasting mini-quotes from others replies, thus pulling them out of perspective. ?‍♂️

Benny is the guy in the club getting lost in the music on the dancefloor, not backstage surrounded by naked hookers

Like @Zapclub93 says it's a very specific rebuttal he's made, against a (so far) solo complainant

Last edited:
Here we go again...cutting and pasting mini-quotes from others replies, thus pulling them out of perspective. ?‍♂️

I think each of them very much demonstrates the nature of the whole post they come from and purposefully didn't write who posted each of the,them, I just didn't want to cut and paste an essay. Each of the quotes, stand alone or otherwise, and the attitude they represent are abhorrent to me. But I'd rather people that held those attitudes while otherwise appearing quite sensible, were here, seeing most people don't agree with those views, than in some misogynist echo chamber encouraging them

Last edited:
backstage surrounded by naked hookers

I do not defend the accused DJs. This is a very emotional subject, and the outrage comes from a good place.

However, I just want to be clear that there is nothing wrong with wanting to be surrounded by the women of your choosing. I personally do not think prostitution should be considered illegal, if the parties are consenting adults. Beyond the subject at hand (rape and assault), I see a lot of other "male" behaviors being pulled into the "portrait of a serial rapist". Most men (in my anecdotal experience and opinion) spend a significant amount of their adult lives distracted their desire for women (and/or men). Some are driven to excel and become exceptional in other areas to satisfy those desires in one way or another. Again, there is nothing wrong with that.

I am not targeting anyone in particular, and especially you @white_isle_calling you just happened to have it in yours reply recently. There have been others too. However, there seems to be some "mission creep" in general when wanting to denounce something that is obviously evil to include some things that only some find objectionable.

(I will now step back and "gird my loins")

Back