Spotlight Running Club

What time do you guys usually go for your runs and why?

Do you just pick a time when you are free to do so or do you always go at a specific time of day?

I either run very early ie (5.30-6.00am) or straight after work ( 6-7pm) - can't run if I've got anything on my stomach for 3 hrs beforehand at least.

Just took on my first 10 mile run. I definitely underestimated how big a step up from 10k it is! Tried to keep to about 9min/mi for my first one, was going fairly steady but then the 9th mile was all up hill and was pretty brutal. Did it in 1:31:08. Think I might have to sleep in the lounge tonight, stairs are not my friend.

Just took on my first 10 mile run. I definitely underestimated how big a step up from 10k it is! Tried to keep to about 9min/mi for my first one, was going fairly steady but then the 9th mile was all up hill and was pretty brutal. Did it in 1:31:08. Think I might have to sleep in the lounge tonight, stairs are not my friend.

Haha, still a very good effort mate! All about building it up, you'll soon get used to doing 10miles after a few attempts every so often.

I always run before work, 6am usually. I do occasionally go after work but after sitting on my arse all day i always feel too tired and cant be bothered.

Just been out in the snow. 3rd best 10K time in the last 12 months. It seemed to provide a little cushion which helped the pressure on the knees.

keep it up people!

There are Bupa London 10k places still available for this years race end of May, if anyone fancies taking on 10,000 other runners.

Ill be back out once road conditions improve, fingers crossed for this sats weekly Park Run. Still nursing my way back from a calf strain.

Typical, In preparation for 2013 training I signed up to three races, bought replacement Brooks, read "The Art of Zen and Running" :lol:, ordered some compression socks, then get laid up with a two week chest infection.

Bugger - haven't run for two weeks and don't look like I will be running any time soon!

Argghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

6.5miles for first time in 3 weeks.

New Nike Free 3.0 v4's made their first outing. Really, Really flexible and comfortable. Low 4mm Heel to toe drop, definitely promotes a more forefoot strike. Consequence of which this morning are sore-ish calf and achilles.

Left calf spasmed after I stopped which isn't a good sign. I just hope the injury from the back end of last year isn't turning out to be chronic.

6.5miles for first time in 3 weeks.

New Nike Free 3.0 v4's made their first outing. Really, Really flexible and comfortable. Low 4mm Heel to toe drop, definitely promotes a more forefoot strike. Consequence of which this morning are sore-ish calf and achilles.

Left calf spasmed after I stopped which isn't a good sign. I just hope the injury from the back end of last year isn't turning out to be chronic.

Those nike free's are great, i've had mine for a few months and it did take a little while to settle in to them,going for a pair of five fingers next!!!

Barca HM 17 Feb, Ibiza trail marathon 3rd May, York marathon (first one ever :) ) 20 October, Valencia marathon 17 November. Excitement all round. Parping the trousers for the trail marathon, never really run off road. The website describes the route as "Very mixed terrain", goes across beachs and all over the place! Celebratory meal in Pacha with all entrants in the evening :)

Good luck to you gus with the training, hope you get out there soon, Marc.:(

Parping the trousers for the trail marathon, never really run off road. The website describes the route as "Very mixed terrain", goes across beaches and all over the place!

Trail running beats road running hands down by miles. You'll absolutely love it. Get out and do some off-road training - no finer place to do it. Get some decent trail running shoes though ... I have Salomon Speedcross 3s and they're pretty decent, but don't get the CS ones for Ibiza - they are way too hot. Crossmax are cheaper and OK if it's dry - less aggressive grip on the soles but there are plenty to choose from.

Might look into running on trails, through woods, etc when spring comes, as there's plenty of land like that around where I stay. Trouble I find is, even when walking, there's always the threat of tripping on a branch or something. Or maybe that's just me.

Might look into running on trails, through woods, etc when spring comes, as there's plenty of land like that around where I stay. Trouble I find is, even when walking, there's always the threat of tripping on a branch or something. Or maybe that's just me.

This is a cruel world - full of terrifying threats such as random branch tripping hazards - even when walking.

Unfortunately, apart from running in the desert - but you don't strike me as the MdS type somehow - these threats will always loom large when you step outside.

I would stay away from trail running, it sounds like it would be far too traumatic for you.

Or perhaps tie a broom to your forehead and run at a forward leaning angle sweeping these life threatening hazards to one side.

:rolleyes:wned

So would I need different trainers for running on these sorts of surfaces (mainly paths through woods) or are the usual trainers okay?

Booo, even before I have bought my first pair of trail shoes the Ibiza Trail marathon has been cancelled. Now looking for a late spring, early summer marathon somewhere...

:rolleyes:wned

So would I need different trainers for running on these sorts of surfaces (mainly paths through woods) or are the usual trainers okay?

Depends on the terrain JV. Wet leaves can be slippery as can mud, wet rock and streamsides etc. On trails you don't have the traction with regular trainers built for road running so shoes with a decent grip on the sole are much more sensible because you can get on with running without worrying so much about slipping / twisting ankles etc. You obviously have to watch for trip hazards.

Suggest browsing this site to get an idea - you can see the sort of soles which suit different terrains best :

http://www.inov-8.com/New/Global/Index.asp?L=26

http://www.salomonrunning.com/uk/segment/trail-running-footwear-mountain-trail-running.html

... and if you have to run on tar to get to your trails then spikes can be very unsuitable and wear out quick so check these :

http://www.salomonrunning.com/uk/segment/trail-running-footwear-door-to-trail.html

The speedcross 3s are really good for me and I use them in coastal woodland, trails etc. (touch wood have never slipped with them at speed, even running very fast down very steep muddy paths with an unstoppable terrier on a lead making completely sure I keep up with him and risk breaking my neck !) but everyone is different. I find innov8s no good for my foot shape on the whole and can't be bothered with modifying soles etc. but many people swear by them.

Proper trail shoes are built for getting completely filthy and still performing to keep you upright and going strong ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think I'd be going anywhere too muddy or difficult and will probably be running on tar at some points, so not looking at any shoes with spikes. If I can run on trails, I have far more options for places to go (and can look out for mushrooms at the same time ;)).

Haven't ran at all this week due to high winds (weights instead!)... You could say I'm a fair weather runner. :lol: Thanks to the break, I'm quite looking forward to getting out tomorrow morning.

Does anyone prefer to go running with others? I ask because colleagues want me to go out with them at lunchtimes, but the idea doesn't appeal to me.

Back