Spotlight Fitness Club

Neil is a clinically depressed, pacifist, vegetarian and environmentalist working toward a Peace Studies degree. He is victimised by his housemates and forced to do the housework, shopping, cleaning and cooking. He is never acknowledged for it unless it goes wrong. Neil is pessimistic and believes everyone and everything hates him, although he does have three hippie friends - one also named Neil, one named Warlock and a female hippie named Stonehenge. This actually makes him the second most sociable character behind Vyvyan and also the only character to have a female friend. He dislikes most forms of technology except for TV and Video. He is also an insomniac, believing that sleep causes cancer. Neil wants the others to feel sorry for him, or just acknowledge his presence. He claims "the most interesting thing that ever happens to me is sneezing" - the force of which is sufficient to blow a door off its hinges.

Diet:
eat 4 times a day , no carbs after 5/6pm. Breakfast must include some protein (boiled eggs or chicken/turkey breast). Try to cut out sugar so no fruit juices. Steer clear of even 'diet' soft drinks as still does things to blood sugar which inhibits fat burn. You shouldnt need to feel hungry as u eat more often but you def have to plan what you want to eat alot more like making batches of brown rice or cooking big packs of turkey/chicken breasts at a time.

Avoid alcohol if possible as it inhibits testosterone and promotes eastrogen (particularly hops in beer annoyingly!)

You could lose weight faster but this seems to be more sustainable for a long term approach

* also taking eskimo oil supplement and drinking 1/3 lemon in boiling water 20mins/30mins before you eat anything in morning

Exactly, this is what i am after. Temptation can get the better of one sometimes. I have set myself a goal of my Ibiza trip in September, only downside is that I have a week with the family in Wales inbetween now and then, I'm hoping it wont set me back too much as I can soon put it back on. I have got a weird metabolism, I can quite literally gain 3lb in a day!!! (and that is with accurate weighing)

I want to cheat my metabolism?? Has my body found a weight that it wants to stay at ??

Try to eat lean fats fish chicken pork.

Weights = 15 reps only 10 second break between sets

i do weights/cardio one day then all cardio and abs the next, taking day break after 3 days

i try to eat salads rather than fries etC

skim milk honey instead of sugar ( coffee)

has made a big difference to me :-/)

I have been fairly healthy in the past 2 years (at least).

meat and two veg, no simple carbs etc etc but just cant shake off that extra around my 41 year old midriff. I appear to be what may be referred to as a fat thin person. I dont have a big build at all. I am a mixture of different kind of "morphs"

Count calories, 1g protein per lb lean body mass 0.5g fat per lb lean body mass fill in calorie surplus with everything else.
Lift heavy, do compound movements ie squats, dead lifts, barbell rows, bench press....
Look here at the beginner routines they work and lots of nutrition stuff to get through.
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8
Nothing complicated and no need for cardio to lose weight and get toned if you wanna bulk up especially these guys recommend no cardio at all!
Im not an expert anyway but a lot of these guys are defo worth a read.

Thanks for this Ollie - I am now following the below routine but started on week 7 for the higher reps. I dont follow his diet, way too soul destroying. The exercises change each week so you dont get bored, the videos and encouragement he gives you are actually motivating me a fair bit too.
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/kris-gethin-12-week-daily-trainer.html

I've lost 10kg since christmas.

Generally diet is 3 eggs for breakfast, recently I've been having scrambled with smoked salmon (you can get smoked salmon trimmings for 90p for asda, lasts about 4 servings)

lunch is normally chicken and salad or a small serving of brown past and pesto

dinner, griddle chicken breast, baked sweet potato, salad or boiled/steamed greens.

Gym 3 or 4 times a week, no milk, occasional fruit, if I get peckish between meals I have a handful of nuts. Try to only booze 1 day a week max. Sometimes allow myself a cheat day (just had chippy tea as been packing up the house) Easy and don't feel like I'm missing out too much, after a few months you get used to it and proper look forward to a piss up or a big meal out. Just make sure you work out the day after boozing or binging.

Do you not subscribe to the 27 meal a day theory?

Im not convinced that the lots of small meals thing works, hence me asking about the starvation/fasting diets that are all the rage. I read about one the other day called 16/8 or something like that ? You eat in an 8 hour window during your waking hours?

Your 3 meal appraoch seems to have worked for you?

Check out this website it tells you pretty much everything you need to know about body recomposition (essentially replacing fat with muscle).

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/

It helped me lose 4 stone and get my body fat down and lean mass up. Its simple but difficult, eat less, excercise more. You cant spot reduce belly fat, it will be the last area to get lean so motivation is key, as it will take time, but if you do it right it will last.

The internet is mainly filled with exercise bull ****, people trying to sell you ****, and give you miracle cures, or people telling you to do this and that with no scientific back up.

Very interesting reading , thanks :)

Recently cut out bread completely, virtually no breakfast cereal products, cut out all processed foods and no meat. For the first time in more than a decade the stubborn crap around my waist is slowly going.

Discovered what an amazing difference paying extra for decent fruit & veg can make to overall enjoyment of meals.

Living off the land?

That sun and siestas helping too !!!!!

Diet is simple:

- Estimate maintenance calories
- Eat 15-20% below this
- Ensure 1g/lb protein minimum
- Ensure 0.4g/lb fat minimum
- Try get 13-15g/1,000kcal fibre
But doesnt that reduction slow your metablism?

My word is nothing? :lol: It's anecdotal? From a scientific perspective, I suppose it is. But like all sane people, I don't eat or work out in a lab controlled environment, so I use my judgement and monitor results in my own way and I'm happy to share what works for me. That's what we're discussing on here before you stormed the discussion with your high brow / low charisma approach. But regardless of whether or not it is your area of interest, your views are an opinion and that you are not representing "SCIENCE" - to claim you are proves your arrogance outweighs your academic merit. Science of whatever stripes is not a set of unmovable absolutes. You seem to think you are "Science" and everyone else's opinions are bull**** and worthless because they are not backed up by a lab report. Right or wrong, informed or not - it must feel bitter sweet that despite having all of this self professed knowledge, no one will ever benefit from it / listen to it because your manner and personality switches people off from whatever you have to say? (if you need to check the credibility of my theory- scientifically - just look at results stimulated by your previous posts?) Plus I bet you're a right pie eater too.

I don't really care if nobody benefits from it here. They can spin there wheels and make no progress if they wish. I offered what works. No bullsh!it, no nonsense, just straight up fact.

And that's ignorance: "I don't eat or work out in a lab controlled environment".

RCTs are when theory's are put into Real Life, practical applications. They have to be in a controlled environment to control variables. Don't you know how it works? Or are you just ignorant?

What are my views? Tell me. I'd love to know what I've said that isn't backed by science.

But doesnt that reduction slow your metablism?

What? The only way to lose weight is to create a caloric deficit. It's The Law of Thermodynamics. Yes your metabolism will slow. It's inevitable. You weigh less, you eat less, you move less and metabolism itself may drop by up to 10% in some cases (not often). It's not as extreme as some make out. A lot of the time people see a spike in water and freak out.

Sugar (drinks & puds), salt (crisps etc.), significant amounts of alcohol and cheap trans-fats in fast food are probably between them responsible for most of the obesity and health problems in both younger and older people. Food additives and flavourings not helping either. Would cutting out this lot (and ready meals) not likely go a long way towards getting a sensible balanced diet, without going to extremes ? A hunter-gatherer diet likely suited a hunter-gatherer lifestyle. But our lifestyles have changed radically since then and it seems logical to me to think that it's likely our appropriate diet is likely to change too. What no-one agrees on is to what.

Limiting processed sugars and added salt may be beneficial to health yes, although you don't have to cut them out entirely.

Agreed.

I have started to eat clean

Well nobody likes dirt on their food do they :rolleyes:

I want to cheat my metabolism?? Has my body found a weight that it wants to stay at ??

You can't "cheat" metabolism. I could explain more in-depth what the problem could be and how to fix it and progress with your weight loss.

Thanks for this Ollie - I am now following the below routine but started on week 7 for the higher reps. I dont follow his diet, way too soul destroying. The exercises change each week so you dont get bored, the videos and encouragement he gives you are actually motivating me a fair bit too.
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/kris-gethin-12-week-daily-trainer.html

Notice Ollie linked the forum, not the main site. The main site if full of crap and so is that diet.

Do you not subscribe to the 27 meal a day theory?

Im not convinced that the lots of small meals thing works, hence me asking about the starvation/fasting diets that are all the rage. I read about one the other day called 16/8 or something like that ? You eat in an 8 hour window during your waking hours?

Your 3 meal appraoch seems to have worked for you?

The number of meals you eat has absolutely no impact on metabolism. It is widely known and anyone who says otherwise is a straight up moron who knows nothing.

^^^You really are too aggressive in your writing:confused:

Im not necessarily against what you say so frickin chillout. If I want aggro I'll just go to work.

I never said that I was following Gethins diet did I ? Read the posts, i'm following his gym routine and advice (not on food). Look at my diet example that I posted, its clean because it is in essence not messed with (protein shake excepted).

So, give me some advice then?

I am an ectomorph who carries fat, particularly around my middle.

I can lose weight but not always fat very easily

I can put that weight back on quickly.

I am 5 feet ten and weigh 168lbs approx

I am hard as F@ck

^^^You really are too aggressive in your writing:confused:

Im not necessarily against what you say so frickin chillout. If I want aggro I'll just go to work.

I never said that I was following Gethins diet did I ? Read the posts, i'm following his gym routine and advice (not on food). Look at my diet example that I posted, its clean because it is in essence not messed with (protein shake excepted).

So, give me some advice then?

I am an ectomorph who carries fat, particularly around my middle.

I can lose weight but not always fat very easily

I can put that weight back on quickly.

I am 5 feet ten and weigh 168lbs approx

I am hard as F@ck

What? What did I say that was aggressive? Never used any aggressive language or punctuations....

I know you're not following his diet. I saw you say that. It's still full of crap though. Btw, I'd also recommend a different programme. Something with a higher training frequency and a progression scheme. Kris is on a lot of juice and it may be why his routine is good for him.

Okay, first off, forget about ecto, endo & meso. They don't have any real world application. You can easily change from one to the other.

If you lose weight easy, but not fat, that only leaves LBM (lean body mass). This could be down to insufficient training programme, too low calories or too low protein, or a combination.

Search youtube for a video by IceCreamFitness called "My Novice 5x5 for Bodybuilders". That's the type of training programme you should be following. You may need to reduce volume slightly if you are cutting. Cardio can be done on off days if you wish.

My diet advice remains the same. - Estimate maintenance calories
- Eat 15-20% below this

I'd recommend using an app such as MyFitnessPal to track calories and macros. This gives you a lot more control over your diet and you can learn a lot about your body. How it reacts to high carbs. If you function better high fat. What calorie level is where you maintain weight. How big your refeeds need be. Plus, consistency is key and it helps keep calories consistent.

My diet advice remains the same. - Estimate maintenance calories
- Eat 15-20% below this

what do these figure refer to? 1g of protein per what? I assume its not per day!!??

what do these figure refer to? 1g of protein per what? I assume its not per day!!??

Read it again. It clearly says 1g/lb. 1lb = 1 pound. So, 1 gram of protein per 1 pound of bodyweight.

LB is the symbol for pound such as kg for kilogram or cm for centimetre.

Last edited by a moderator:
Firstly I am no expert or nutritionist but I have been training for 10+ years and when I started I took some advice from the guy that owned the gym where I first started training. He was a competing pro body builder and new his stuff from the diet all the way to substances ( if you choose that route ). He first said a massive part is genetics. Take a look at your parents and grandparents and this will give you a little insight on the goals you may or may not achieve. Diet is just as important as the training itself but you don't want to over complicate this with facts and figures because "conditioning" seems to have replaced "bodybuilding" these days creating products and bull**** leading us to believe it all works. He said there are few rules to follow. Training wise always use full range of motion and rep out to failure, its only the last few reps that really do the damage. Never neglect to train your legs as this stimulates the growth for the rest of your body. Vary the exercise because you will become stronger at what you do all the time but weaker at the things you don't. Diet wise I would forget all the rocket science and just keep it clean. 6 meals per day consumed every 3 hours ( supplements are ok but not as good as food ). 1.5 grams of protein per kg of body weight per day if your looking to pack on some muscle. As for the cardio debate yes if you need to trim up but always start with 10 mins or so to warm the tendons purely as a safety aspect. If your going to do a diet that strips a lot of food out then up the protein intake or you will lose size. Remember we are all different. Ive trained with guys that ate crap and grew in front of my eyes in the gym. One last tip and the best one of all is rest when your not training and plenty of it.

So ... if you were a 'hardgainer', did plenty of exercise, weren't pre-disposed to middle-aged fat gain and decided to go "Paleo", how would you eat enough calories (and calcium) to get by healthily without losing weight ? Perhaps if you come at the nutrition question from an initial standpoint of being overweight or disposed to get fat easily (as so many Westerners seem to be) then this is a route to fat loss. However, for a normal to underweight person I am not yet convinced of its merits.

It does strike me that if you cut out rice, oats, potatoes (as some Paleo bods suggest), bread etc. you are going to really struggle to get enough calories a day down your throat ... and will most likely start wasting away. So what when those excess fat stores you've been trying to get rid of are gone ? Do you stop ? My very basic logic simply says perhaps this is appropriate for some people but almost certainly not for all. I would likely look completely skeletal after a few weeks on a Paleo diet which mimics quantities of food our predecessors are likely to have had readily available to them to consume. I'm still really struggling to see how that can be healthy.

If we're using ready availability of food to up the quantities eaten compared to our ancestors but simply restricting the food set then I can see that potentially causing issues with how we are physically adapted to cope too. It does seem the fundamental tenet of the Paleo philosophy is that humans cannot have evolved to be physiologically adapted to a diet other than a Paleo one and blaming disease on that. I'd blame it more on too many pork pies and beer, along with exercise shifting to the TV room from the forest myself ! Most food we buy nowadays is artificially raised or tampered with to increase yield from farmed fish to meat to greens. I'm just waiting for the scandal exposing how much tampering, mis-labelling and misleading there is with even "organic" produce. Not to mention dumped contaminants getting into the food chain of even wild line-caught fish for example. The additives, hormones, chemicals etc. which one way or another enter our systems whatever we eat and whether processed or not are almost certainly contributing significantly to the diseases we suffer. It's very hard to go along with the notion that the products of agriculture are the real worry in our diets, being completely objective about it.

Sugar (drinks & puds), salt (crisps etc.), significant amounts of alcohol and cheap trans-fats in fast food are probably between them responsible for most of the obesity and health problems in both younger and older people. Food additives and flavourings not helping either. Would cutting out this lot (and ready meals) not likely go a long way towards getting a sensible balanced diet, without going to extremes ? A hunter-gatherer diet likely suited a hunter-gatherer lifestyle. But our lifestyles have changed radically since then and it seems logical to me to think that it's likely our appropriate diet is likely to change too. What no-one agrees on is to what.
I don't buy into the whole caveman lifestyle :lol: aspect of the Paleo diet, despite it's title. Some fans seem to wear it like a badge of honour and it's a bit silly. And as you say we're not cavemen so some of the reasoning isn't relevant. I like the discipline of it and it's pretty straightforward to understand, plan for and apply. The thing that's been overlooked on here is certains routes will suit individual goals. For example with yourself you want to increase weight, so on that basis alone I wouldn't follow the paleo diet. My goal was to instill some diet discipline to strip away some stubborn pounds without starving myself - and the paleo route appears to give me what I need to be able to train hard and shift the stubborn pounds in a healthy way. First six weeks I dropped eight pounds. Of course that could have been done a variety of ways, but as someone who runs a lot, for several years - exercise alone wasn't doing the job. But observing the paleo diet has helped me do this. Like most people, I don't have the time or patience for calorie counting / weighing food - so this route is perfect for me. And cutting out processed food, bread, diary, pasta, rice hasn't bothered me in the slightest and I enjoy eating more fruit, meat, veg. I still eat like a horse (just a paleo horse). And I won the parents 100m at the school sportsday this morning, which is the pinnacle of sporting achievement.:lol:

Back