Spotlight Book Group

if you were in my company with my friends you wuoldn't have a clue what we were saying to each other. nor would someone from edinburgh for that matter, we have our own special rhyming slang!

a small example......

when something happens which shocks you, you would say 'no way!'

we say 'go irene!'

:confused: :twisted:

Can we make the Spotlight Book Group like Mikkaks Mallorcan Book Group (i.e make it involve wine, beer and random people calling to join thinking it's a swingers club ??)

if you were in my company with my friends you wuoldn't have a clue what we were saying to each other. nor would someone from edinburgh for that matter, we have our own special rhyming slang!

a small example......

when something happens which shocks you, you would say 'no way!'

we say 'go irene!'

:confused: :twisted:

:lol: Interesting, what does that rhyme with??

Babs, we don't visit planet earth, we're supposed to live there. :lol:

:lol: Interesting, what does that rhyme with??

Babs, we don't visit planet earth, we're supposed to live there. :lol:

its not as simple as that!

ok instead of 'no way!' we usually say 'no danger!'

danger rhymes with mcgranger which is the surname of the australian actress who plays irene in home and away hence 'no irene'

been using this since about january and when in ibiza a couple of weeks ago my mate said 'go irene!' which he thought we'd been saying all along so now that has stuck...:eek: :lol:

one of the many weird saying we have that no-one else would be close to understanding!

A few years ago I read a book called "When the Rabbit Howls" The story is written and is about a woman named Trudy Chase, who has/had over 99 personalities. The book is almost like a scrapbook of her journal notes and psychiatrist's notes. It's quite detailed and might be disturbing for most but fascinating to anyone who is interested in seeing how someone would develop those personalities. It's so crazy it still sticks out in my mind as a book you wouldn't forget reading. :eek:

As the nights are drawing in and we just want to spend evenings sat at home in front of the fire :lol: with a good book I thought we should resurrect the Spotlight Book Group :lol:

Has anyone read anything good recently?? Any recommendations??

Recently read Danny Wallace - Yes Man (thanks for the recommendation PL) and laughed so much I nearly weed myself :eek: :lol:

Also just read Lionel Shriver - We Need to Talk about Kevin which was one of the most gripping and powerful books I've ever read, it just got better and better and the ending was such a shock :eek: It got to the point that one morning I sat in Golden Square before work reading it cos I just couldn't put it down.

Currently reading Judy Marks - Mr Nice and Mrs Marks which is Howard Marks's wife autobiography - a great read (lots of Ibiza references from the 1960s) and I'm actually preferring it to his autobiography Mr Nice as it seems easier to get into.

Right I'm on the Danny Wallace book tip! Have just ordered it! I'm half way through How to be good at the mo by Nick Hornby and have to say although largely pretty acurate I am still struggling with it unlike all his others which I've read in a couple of days. Last book prior to that I read that was pretty good was the curious incident of the dog in the night time by Mark Haddon so that's my recommendation! Hope no ones mentioned it already!

its not as simple as that!

ok instead of 'no way!' we usually say 'no danger!'

danger rhymes with mcgranger which is the surname of the australian actress who plays irene in home and away hence 'no irene'

been using this since about january and when in ibiza a couple of weeks ago my mate said 'go irene!' which he thought we'd been saying all along so now that has stuck...:eek: :lol:

one of the many weird saying we have that no-one else would be close to understanding!

You and your friends sound very special! :lol: Liking the Home and Away link (anyone watching it at the moment? Has Peter worked out that Zoe "The Stalker" is living next door to him??).

Jez - I thought The Curious Incident was brilliant. He's got a new one out hasn't he?

You and your friends sound very special!

I think all good friends have their own kind of secret language. Like me and my best friend have all kinds of stupid names, jokes and words that only we understand what they mean :lol: God knows what people would think of us if they read our emails/texts!! :eek: :lol:

I think all good friends have their own kind of secret language. Like me and my best friend have all kinds of stupid names, jokes and words that only we understand what they mean :lol: God knows what people would think of us if they read our emails/texts!! :eek: :lol:

Same as, we've got loads going back to school days. Me and Lorna don't even need to speak any more, we know exactly what the other one's going to say before they say it. :lol:

The best book I've ever read is Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon, which is a stunning old fashioned type tale based in mid-20th century Barcelona. A proper story. Brilliant.:D Read it now!:spank:

This book is quality....a real epic!

As the nights are drawing in and we just want to spend evenings sat at home in front of the fire :lol: with a good book I thought we should resurrect the Spotlight Book Group :lol:

Has anyone read anything good recently?? Any recommendations??

Recently read Danny Wallace - Yes Man (thanks for the recommendation PL) and laughed so much I nearly weed myself :eek: :lol:

Also just read Lionel Shriver - We Need to Talk about Kevin which was one of the most gripping and powerful books I've ever read, it just got better and better and the ending was such a shock :eek: It got to the point that one morning I sat in Golden Square before work reading it cos I just couldn't put it down.

Currently reading Judy Marks - Mr Nice and Mrs Marks which is Howard Marks's wife autobiography - a great read (lots of Ibiza references from the 1960s) and I'm actually preferring it to his autobiography Mr Nice as it seems easier to get into.

Native Tongue by Carl Hiassen, bloody hilarious :)

funnily enough not yet, but it is one of the books in the 3 book omnibus i have along with "stormy weather". better than the film then?

what film?? ohhh that shocker with her from saved by the bell. not seen it mate..........was that actually based on the book?? altho with all the turkey ratings the film i've no doubt the book is better!;) :lol:

what film?? ohhh that shocker with her from saved by the bell. not seen it mate..........was that actually based on the book?? altho with all the turkey ratings the film i've no doubt the book is better!;) :lol:

it was the one with Demi Moore in it. I think "native toungue2 would make a great film, I aleady got steve buschemi cast as "bud schwartz" :D

I'm going to adopt his philosophy to my life, maybe you should try it :lol:

I am trying to do the exact opposite and say No more - saying Yes has got me into a right pickle last few months - my life is not my own anymore...:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Giant Chinese Baby - PMSL

Also just read Pig Island by Mo Hayder - bloody brilliant unputdownable!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back