Space Closing 2016

It was completely all our fault. We decided to leave and come back at 5am. Waited and waited.decided at 8 enough was enough. They let in just after 8am, but we just couldn't be arsed anymore.
Hope everyone had fun...
Sorry to hear that there were some bad experiences.

Did anyone see what happened with the queue after 9? I managed to get in through the crush but the queue was still snaking around the car park.
I went straight to the roof and got a drink by which time the queue was completely gone. Did all those people get turned away?
My friend flew home at 3 so was able to pick up our goody bags on the way back to the apartment.
For anyone wondering, they contained a t shirt, compliation cd, key ring and a usb memory credit card with a space documentary on them. Both t shirts and cd's were different.
Does anyone know if there is a way to get the goodie bags now? The Mrs had the vouchers on her sunglasses case & when theif nicked the stuff out of her bag this was one of the other things they got!

Tim Sheridan expressed a few thoughts which might be of interest to this thread

Space Obituary.

It’s been a fixture in most clubber’s lives for decades if not a lifetime. Mine too. I’ve been there on and off since the mid 90s and weekly there for a long stretch on Sundays and Tuesday mornings. Space was a big part of my life.

I’d like to get this out of the way first, full disclosure. This won’t be a hagiography. I worked hard for them for over 10 years and they dropped me on a rich man’s whim. Forgive me if I am in this story about Space, it’s my story. It’s an obituary for my own past too.

It is a major player in a harsh arena and no-one owes you a living. It’s the business part of show. Ibiza is the Roman Coliseum of global DJ culture and you don’t survive long by being nice. Behind the scenes Space was all business. Like opening the back of a clock. Go down those cold rambling corridors behind the stages and there are people sat behind large desks who will gladly end your career on the island just cos the name of your promotion is very badly lost in translation. My time there ended hideously. A bone being chewed by two powerful pit-fighting dogs who were using your livelihood to score points against each other, refereed by a bastard. Regrets, I’ve a had few…

Shock horror. World of business tough. In other news, woods full of bearshit shocker.

On the plus side however.

To say peak-Space was the Space made by Fritz would be an understatement. Indeed for many years people saw little of Pepe, and Fritz WAS Space. Friendly, helpful, and cool under pressure as a Bavarian stein. You could set your watch by Fritz Pangratz, erstwhile manager of the venue and general man at the wheel for most of Space’s life.

The Fritz years was the Space golden age. Every great business from Apple to Virgin is built around a single personality. You could access this person. A figurehead is never reclusive. Indeed I always used to say that Fritz was one of my favourite people in the business. He had the simple trick most people never manage to pull off i.e ; doing what he said he would do.

I’ve only a limited amount of words here to convey the good times. The sheer innocent, sun-kissed debauchery of Manumission’s Carry On every Tuesday morning. Playing back to back with Alfredo and Danny Tenaglia, a first for them both to share the decks and a truly unforgettable lifetime honour for me. Paul Oakenfold being delayed and my having to play his set in the Discoteca to a wild sea of enthusiasm, even if I am 90% sure most of them thought I was him from a few rows back and weren’t listening at all. Getting my flatmate a job on the door and him being hired, fired and barred for life within an hour. My best mate being so blissed-out in the middle of the Terrace dance floor he didn’t even notice his trousers had fallen down until a helpful soul pulled them up for him and gave him a ‘bless’ pat on the head. The Corner, the far end of the bar by the Terrace DJ booth where the freaks hang out. Blonde Hitler. What the f*** was he all about? Being given the new Red Box as a booby prize and actually turning it into something. Finally earning doing the Terrace on Sundays. Trannies on stilts and Tenaglia singing you happy birthday in the booth with sparklers and cake. Cueing up the sound of the plane from ‘Back in the USSR’ as a loop on the early CDJs, waiting for a plane and then merging it’s sound with it … and a kid saying “wow, that is a really long plane”, while someone scuttles off to grass you up for playing ‘rock music’ in the home of balearia. Being shown round the all-new terrace building site proudly by Fritz, while being secretly amused that no-one seemed to understand that the foundations filling with water was something to do with the big blue wet thing a couple hundred yards away…. I just don’t have room for all the good times and funny tales. Sorry.

Is Space really closing forever? The lease has actually been up for a few years and every time they simply pay to extend it. One thing is sure you can always buy your way in or out of anything in Ibiza. The rumours of a hotel-esque complex in San Antonio are debatable. Which is the point. Similar rumours of Space opening in different countries abound. But frankly Space has always been a place not a brand. Brand-building and corporate moves have never been it’s forte. Who knows? not me. My feeling is it will try to carry on. But without it’s home it will be just an echo of a golden era.

People and DJs like Carl Cox and Richie Hawtin are a moveable feast. And frankly they are the reason we go to these places. And they are just places for people to be in. We can see these people, and thousands of other people, in other spaces. But they won’t be Space, with a capital ’S’.

Let us honour the good times there then. Of which there were millions. But it was YOU who made those good times, and you will do again. The gentrification of the planet is in your hands and it’s up to you to resist it and make changes. But you won’t. What will happen however is in three years time you will have forgotten Space, you will be going to Ushuaia II, and be standing in a room full of 17 and 18 year-olds who have never even heard of Space. And life will continue…. but some of us will remember. And never, never forget.

Well that was the best night/morning of my life!
Dancing on the sunset terrace to love is all around while we all sung along really felt like Reynolds took us on a journey with him. Very special moments, best crowd atmosphere I've ever seen at space ever to, lots of older folk there to say goodbye, saw a German guy crying this morning just dancing away emotionally :lol: bless him
Loved stivi's suit and hat but f*** me you must of been hot mate! :D
Im absolutely gutted I won't get to do that again, sorry I didn't get to meet more of you. I was in a fair old mess anyway to be honest :rolleyes::spank:

right...I've done about 10 space closings so far and up until now this one isn't any busier inside than it normally is. seriously, I expected much worse
Exactly... Not that bad at all, in the back of the rooms always space, if u gonna dance in the middle of the dance floor course there will be no space, once u found a spot was fine

Dancing on the sunset terrace to love is all around while we all sung along really felt like Reynolds took us on a journey with him. Very special moments, best crowd atmosphere I've ever seen at space ever to, lots of older folk there to say goodbye, saw a German guy crying this morning just dancing away emotionally :lol: bless him
Im absolutely gutted I won't get to do that again, sorry I didn't get to meet more of you. I was in a fair old mess anyway to be honest :rolleyes::spank:
Amazing!!!! Every room was amazing music, i was too f***ed to make the meet up

What a night!! Fitting send off, absolutely tremendous, not a bad set all night, great atmosphere and so many special songs from over the years.

The embarrassing chaos of the queue which was an absolute pathetic joke of staggering incompetence was soon forgotten once we finally got in and Steve Lawler nailed the car park.

Yes it was ridiculously busy but that wasn't a surprise and not that different to DC10 closing, all worth it for such a special night.

Can we do it again please?! Hope everyone else managed to have a good night. Can't believe that's the end!

Did anyone see Jason Stratham absolutely off his nut in Sunset ? - hilarious

Queue was a complete mess, I wonder how they can get it so wrong

Some amazing sets all round, pleasure to see Blocko & Peezy and resident Jason Bye smash up the Sunset Terrace one more time

Erick Sasha, Doorly, Clara so many music journeys ....Epic

I was fuming they closed at 12, was told it would be 4 by some who claimed inside knowledge so I dropped another bean at 11.30 and was coming up hard when we were told to leave :rolleyes:
Made for an interesting walk home speaking bull to randoms one bloke apologised for not knowing what the f*** I was on about as my words weren't making sense but I didn't even realise I was talking :lol: huge f***ing mess, wish I could relive it:evil:

I am feeling extremely privileged to have been there right now. What a night!
Met spotlighter Lee and his missus in the queue(or not) and was in around 9ish, danced, drank, chatted and shown patience (mainly at bars for me as im useless).
Our gf's left shortly after 9am and we ploughed on, my legs had gone and i left at 11am and i just hope Lee seen it out to the end.
In hindsight im a little gutted i left now as i could of managed an another hour 1 hour 20 mins which i know coz i walked from Space to Panoramic (the last sea front hotel in Figueretas) in the blazing sun. But not a prayer i could of gone to 2pm onwards which was expected.
Doubt i will experience a night like it again and im happy with that :D
Writing this after only an hours sleep, apologies if youre bored

:D:D:D So glad you got to go over for it :cool::cool::cool: :twisted::twisted::twisted:

I was fuming they closed at 12, was told it would be 4 by some who claimed inside knowledge so I dropped another bean at 11.30 and was coming up hard when we were told to leave :rolleyes:
Made for an interesting walk home speaking bull to randoms one bloke apologised for not knowing what the f*** I was on about as my words weren't making sense but I didn't even realise I was talking :lol: huge f***ing mess, wish I could relive it:evil:
Hahahahahahhaha

Back