Solomun+1 2018

this is absolute bollocks - dance music has sampled religious music, prayers, chants for decades without any fuss or accusations of blasphemy - all the way from old euro-trance through to gospel house.

in fact I used to go to a club called Batikano in Barcelona where the go-go girls dressed as nuns in suspenders - I don't recall the local priests kicking off outside.

why should artists now cower in fear because religious fundamentalists have hissy fits? I've not heard the Solomun track but the only criteria should be whether its any good or not.

Exactly this. Solomun mentions in his statement that he himself is religious. So, Christian? Pretty sure he has played a shit load of music in the past that might offend some of his own. Where was the apology then?!?!?!?!
Imagine where this scene would be now if the originators felt the need to apologise and pander to superstition. Absolute rhubarb.

He shouldn’t have to apologize for anything imo, but he’s running a business so it’s smart for him. Unfortunately people get offended over pretty much everything these days.

Exactly this. Solomun mentions in his statement that he himself is religious. So, Christian? Pretty sure he has played a shit load of music in the past that might offend some of his own. Where was the apology then?!?!?!?!
Imagine where this scene would be now if the originators felt the need to apologise and pander to superstition. Absolute rhubarb.

It might be more a bad thing in Islam rather than Christianity so maybe that's why there was no apology. And maybe that's why ppl feel more offended.

It's pretty disappointing how you're referring to this as "superstition".

He shouldn’t have to apologize for anything imo, but he’s running a business so it’s smart for him. Unfortunately people get offended over pretty much everything these days.

Or maybe he's apologizing cuz he also respects other ppls beliefs and the increased sensitivity towards it?

I don't get why it's difficult for some here to just understand that it might be more of a bad thing in Islam than other religions and how we should be kinda respectful of ppls beliefs and I wonder if this just an islamophoby thing rather than anything else TBH

It wasn’t done with any malice or with the intent of mockery.

Being offensive is very different, to someone, or a group of people taking offence to something someone has done or said.

Taking offence is something personal, and thus cannot be policed. One person may find something offensive while another may not, despite sharing similar beliefs or values.

Where do you draw the line to make public apologies a thing or not?

The world has gone PC crazy and it boils my piss.

Any belief in the supernatural is superstitious. Deities, hob goblins, Santa Claus, elves, fairies, unicorns and mermaids. All the same.

I don't discriminate either: this covers all religions, Christianity included.

It might be more a bad thing in Islam rather than Christianity so maybe that's why there was no apology. And maybe that's why ppl feel more offended.

That's kind of the problem though mate. You can't quantify offence in the same way you can't quantify love. They're emotions. Who decides who gets the nod, and why? It's dangerous territory to tread.

Nobody says it better than Stephen though:

StephenFryOffended.jpg

Or maybe he's apologizing cuz he also respects other ppls beliefs and the increased sensitivity towards it?

I don't get why it's difficult for some here to just understand that it might be more of a bad thing in Islam than other religions and how we should be kinda respectful of ppls beliefs and I wonder if this just an islamophoby thing rather than anything else TBH

No don’t worry, I hate all religions equally. I think people should respect free speech and stop demanding empty apologies to make themselves feel better. Anyway, enough on this horrible, waste of time, topic.

This PC shit drives me crazy too because more than half of these ppl are hypocrites themselves.

I knew this convo would devolve into this and I dont like thinking about stuff like this while on the isle or even here at home. So let's just all get back to the partying. Totally looking forward to this night with Dixon and Black Madonna !

this is absolute bollocks - dance music has sampled religious music, prayers, chants for decades without any fuss or accusations of blasphemy - all the way from old euro-trance through to gospel house.

in fact I used to go to a club called Batikano in Barcelona where the go-go girls dressed as nuns in suspenders - I don't recall the local priests kicking off outside.

why should artists now cower in fear because religious fundamentalists have hissy fits? I've not heard the Solomun track but the only criteria should be whether its any good or not.
How have the creaters of God is a DJ not been punished yet. . Terrible

Up next on the tracklist. . . Call to Prayer - Prophet Mohammed remix

Last edited:
also how on earth is this a DJs fault? you can't check up on every vocal of every track in any language what it actually means and you certainly shouldn't have to.

Exactly. Let's just ban all DJs playing any track containing a language they're not fluent in, in case the lyrics might offend someone. Absolute BS.

You seem to be taking an awful lot of offense on behalf of an entire religion over not very much.... but i suppose it's just the default setting these days. As an aside, don't you go to Ibiza and get wasted regularly?

You seem to be taking an awful lot of offense on behalf of an entire religion over not very much.... but i suppose it's just the default setting these days. As an aside, don't you go to Ibiza and get wasted regularly?

I do which is why I mentioned I'm quasi Muslim...I cant fully consider myself one obv but I also don't think you can focus on one aspect they're doing wrong and completely disregard someone's faith.

I think regardless, religious stuff shouldn't be in a debauchery filled nightclub filling with excess, no matter the religion. But I'd rather get away from this topic and move on to bring wasted and forgetting this stuff!

That makes absolutely no sense. You surely can’t get pissy with someone offending your “faith” by doing something so minor it’s ridiculous, while at the same time completely ignoring the bits of your “faith” that don’t suit you i.e drinking and taking drugs.... and you had the audacity to call people hypocrites earlier in the thread?

Back