Samuel L. Jackson: Honorary Irishman

It's just the same old boring Irish vs English thing. I'm all for being patriotic but it's pathetic the way some people are so competitive about it. Grow up people!

Given your previous post history, and subsequent run-ins with a many of the members of this forum, I simply don't believe that.

Do you not see the pattern?

1. Jonny posts something

2. Argument ensues

3. Insults are posted

I'm not insulting you, simply suggesting you might want to reconsider some of the stuff that you put up on here, your motives for doing so, and target audience?

Unlike some on here i don't post on Internet message forums to be "one of the in crowd" or to "gain popularity and respect with others" , ever since ive been a kid ive always said what's on my mind regardless what it is and ill continue to do so, more often than not it's to do with football and more often than not (unless it's a Celtic fans forum) people will argue with me, some resort to name calling which is their perogative, i rarely resort to petty name calling either like some do on here,that to me is juvenile behaviour.

Contrary to what people may think of me i am actually a sound bloke, im sure some people who post on here occasionaly who i met in Ibiza will testify to that,i do not post on here to antagonise people i just happen to say what is on my mind, ,but ill always stand my ground no matter how many people tear into me over a thread.

It's just the same old boring Irish vs English thing. I'm all for being patriotic but it's pathetic the way some people are so competitive about it. Grow up people!
I'll go out on a limb here...

I don't think the reasoning behind Jonny's post was to dredge up the tired old Irish vs English thing, per se.

I think he was making a point, actually somewhat valid, that you'll find that UK people sometimes consider Irish stars to be "ours" even though Ireland is a separate country.

I guess I can understand the argument in that we Americans sometimes do the same thing with Canadians. We're selective, though.... we'll take Peter Jennings, but not Keanu Reaves :lol:

I don't think the reasoning behind Jonny's post was to dredge up the tired old Irish vs English thing, per se.

I think he was making a point, actually somewhat valid, that you'll find that UK people sometimes consider Irish stars to be "ours" even though Ireland is a separate country.

I guess I can understand the argument in that we Americans sometimes do the same thing with Canadians. We're selective, though.... we'll take Peter Jennings, but not Keanu Reaves :lol:

get it all the time with Scots as well

do well - they are British
do poor - they are Scottish

I just find some of his posts antagonising, and I can see why so many people post furious replies to them. I find a lot of them are pro-Irish and bordering on anti-English, see comment below:

"Wouldn't the first time our "neighbours" have tried to claim one of ours as their own"

"trying to claim him as being British when he is clearly not, nothing to get too wound up about although this type of thing has happened a few times over the years"

Now... if you're posting this on an Irish message board, fair enough, you will probably get 99% of posters agreeing with you, but the majority of people who post in here are Brits and I feel comments like that are only going to annoy people and cause bad feeling.

I just cant stand anyone who proclaims that theirs and their own are better than everyone else. I had the same annoyance with another former member of the board!! :lol:

Now... if you're posting this on an Irish message board, fair enough, you will probably get 99% of posters agreeing with you, but the majority of people who post in here are Brits and I feel comments like that are only going to annoy people and cause bad feeling.
Hmm.... perhaps it's a special area of sensitivity for you guys? I mean, given The Troubles and all that.

I ask this only so as to understand.

If the exact same post had been about a ditzy American host asking some British actor (oops... Irish ;)) about another actor and mistakenly called him American instead of Canadian, I would not have taken offense at all. In fact, I would probably have laughed along (or made a disparaging remark aboooot Canadians, eh? :lol:)

I just find some of his posts antagonising, and I can see why so many people post furious replies to them. I find a lot of them are pro-Irish and bordering on anti-English, see comment below:

"Wouldn't the first time our "neighbours" have tried to claim one of ours as their own"

"trying to claim him as being British when he is clearly not, nothing to get too wound up about although this type of thing has happened a few times over the years"

I just cant stand anyone who proclaims that theirs and their own are better than everyone else. I had the same annoyance with another former member of the board!! :lol:

One of, if not my best mate is English therefore i don't think your point is valid Becki, i have absolutely nothing against normal English people (although ive no time for the British establishment,same as the Irish establishment)

CON1210.jpg

One of, if not my best mate is English therefore i don't think your point is valid Becki, i have absolutely nothing against normal English people (although ive no time for the British establishment,same as the Irish establishment)

Just saying it how I see it...

I just can't stand why some people look for reasons for conflict. Even when it's not there. They try to turn innocent comments and situations into mortal offense.

I mean Samual L Jackson comparing her harmless comments to:

"We have the same thing over here, we call it slavery"

I mean come on. Stop being so damn worthy and get a bit of perspective.

And Johnny celebrating about his comments as as sort of victory over the english. Next thing we'll be boycotting Ibiza because of the Spanish Armada (the cheeky buggers - when we were playing bowls as well).

Fanatisism always leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

The same way you would jump if a post hinted at anti-Americanism!
If I jumped on every hint of anti-Americanism here I'd be quite busy! :lol:

In this case, you're wrong though (see my post above), which is why I can't figure out why the reaction was so vitriolic...

Ya, but while I see Jonny's post is pointless, I fail to understand the fanaticism with which you guys have jumped all over him today...

When you say "you guys" you are implying that it was some sort of organised attack.

I responded based on my own personal objection to the tone and undercurrents of his post, as you know. So why imply that we all have some sort of common agenda? YOU KNOW that is not that case. Why say it?

I have been explicit in what i have found objectionable in his posts and if you "fail to understand" my simple enough explanation, then i think you are "failing to understand" for effect to make some sort of point.

My response was passionate, but it was not fanatic. And i know you understand the difference. So why do you make such sniping posts, full of inuendo and choosing to ignore or either agree with or disagree with the points raised?

My posts are always honest and from the heart and i don't need you implying that the motivation is something else.

And I don't believe that you're such a liberal that you are affronted by my forthright and honest rsponse to johnny's initial post.

When you say "you guys" you are implying that it was some sort of organised attack.

I responded based on my own personal objection to the tone and undercurrents of his post, as you know. So why imply that we all have some sort of common agenda? YOU KNOW that is not that case. Why say it?

I have been explicit in what i have found objectionable in his posts and if you "fail to understand" my simple enough explanation, then i think you are "failing to understand" for effect to make some sort of point.

My response was passionate, but it was not fanatic. And i know you understand the difference. So why do you make such sniping posts, full of inuendo and choosing to ignore or either agree with or disagree with the points raised?

My posts are always honest and from the heart and i don't need you implying that the motivation is something else.

And I don't believe that you're such a liberal that you are affronted by my forthright and honest rsponse to johnny's initial post.
Whoa there!!! :eek: I'm a neutral here! :lol: Sniping? hardly! No agenda, no inuendo. Certainly no insinuation that this was a coordinated gang attack ('you guys' simple refers to more than one person!). Passionate, fanatic... don't want to get into that debate at all!

If there was any point I was trying to make, and not really a point but more observation, it's what I said earlier:
Morbyd said:
If the exact same post had been about a ditzy American host asking some British actor (oops... Irish ;)) about another actor and mistakenly called him American instead of Canadian, I would not have taken offense at all. In fact, I would probably have laughed along (or made a disparaging remark aboooot Canadians, eh? :lol:)
So, what I wanted to understand is, why the big deal? The initial post was stupid, but was it so much so as that it requires taking Jonny apart like a hacker would a new iPhone?

(edit: nevermind... as I read back over some of Jonny's responses, he deserved a bit of ribbing :lol:)

Last edited by a moderator:
If it was just one post then fair enough, but it plainly isn't......

His posts are annoying, irrelevant and reek of an inferiority complex about football club or country to name a couple. This manifests itself in an overtly forceful and very defensive writing style.

I mean, 'Hail Hail Celtic??!!!'

Get real.....

If it was just one post then fair enough, but it plainly isn't......

That's the point, I took the mick out of the Celtic in the 'Champions League Match Day 2' today and after wondered why. It harks back to ThierryGate for me - if you're going to be rabidly defend a position something that everyone knows isn't true you set yourself up as a figure as fun.

And it's constant - post after post after post. Jonny, be honest - you just like the attention, don't you?

That's not to say there isn't some truth in the English claiming successful foreigners as their own. My Dad (an Irishman) was always moaning about how Barry McGuigan at his most successful was 'the British lad' to English commentators but somewhere on the way down to canvas became the 'poor Irish fellow'.

Do we think JonnyGate should be almagamated into ThierryGate, or should Spotlight History record them a separate events?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back