SA PENYA DISTRICT

The leg problem is probably why the house is up for sale then?
When mackie first mentioned the wheelchair I thought hmm,it's not gonna be easy getting around in that area,especially solo...

Last edited by a moderator:
So,it got even worse,a great shame.
looks like his health problems forced him to give up the cool boots and move on to the softer shoes....he didn't just give up on style!

What a fascinating albeit intriguing thread.

All the more frustrating for myself as this thread is a few years old some of the external links no longer exisit :(

Still, an eye opener to be sure.

Excuse my ignorance, but I was always under the impression that Sa Penya was the gay district - am I wrong?

Me & the missus intended to visit last year... although this thread paints a very different picture!

We did find a windy back street that ran almost parallel to Dalt Vila which was littered with lots of gay haunts. (Although most of them looked more like olde tyme pubs you would find in the UK!)

A few did look quite dodgy. We decided against venturing in to any, but did plan on heading back this year for further perusal.

Were we in fact in Sa Penya? Or if not, where were we?

The street you were in is called Carrer de la Mare de Deu also known as Carrer de la Verge.
It's on the edge of Sa Penya which goes right up to the walls of Dalt Vila.

Ah, cool.

Do you know what their reputation like for accepting hetrosexual customers?

I know of gay districts elsewhere in Spain that are quite specific with the clientele they want - ie. a vast gay majority.

Ah, cool.

Do you know what their reputation like for accepting hetrosexual customers?

I know of gay districts elsewhere in Spain that are quite specific with the clientele they want - ie. a vast gay majority.
I don't see what the problem is,maybe if it's some sort of fetish place you might seem and feel out of place. I can't say for sure though because I've not been in any of the overtly gay places on that street,which I suppose most are.
Other gay places on the island that I've been to have been welcoming to everyone,with no questions about your sexuality before selling you a drink,a ridiculous thought!
To be honest it's taken me a while to think how to answer you,because it's not something I've ever thought about,for me you either like the look of somewhere or not.
Step inside,see what happens...

The wifey and I visted a few bars on what I later found out was Calle de la Virgen many years ago. We sat outside in the street and had some lively conversations with the colourful characters in the area. Like Don, we never even thought/ considered we might not be welcome to stop for a beer.

The wifey and I visted a few bars on what I later found out was Calle de la Virgen many years ago. We sat outside in the street and had some lively conversations with the colourful characters in the area. Like Don, we never even thought/ considered we might not be welcome to stop for a beer.

Apologies if it seems like a strange question.

I only ask because the in gay district in Gran Canaria a lot of bars are trying to discourage non-gay customers in favour of a 100% gay crowd.

I don't think this is for anything more sinister than them wishing to keep their identity. The impression I got that if their bars got too popular amongst all of the tourists, then eventually their gay customers would go elsewhere for a "gay crowd"

Kind of understandable, and not far different to how a lot of gay establishments are opporating in the UK atm, what with insisting on a "gay majority crowd"

1336364959housesadnod-gif.gif

This picture of our daughter from around 10yrs ago somewhere deep in Sa Penya..She was 14 last weekend.:)
JCDcYKp.jpg

Back