Pacha's refurb [includes pictures!]

I haven’t been in, but the steps are lower and further back, so Main Floor is bigger + the whole entrance area + old global room is the dancefloor. Some of the angles in the video you realise just how much more space that main floor is.

Very nice, can’t wait to check it out!

right then, I just got home from my first visit to the refurbished pacha.

I knew a lot of the stuff they would change, but as so often, I couldn't really talk about it beforehand. at the same time of course it's not the same when they tell you what they are doing and when you then finally get to see it with your own eyes.

so here goes, this is what they changed and what I feel about it having seen it for the first time tonight.

the biggest change - and actually the only proper structural change they made - is taking away the walls from what used to be the global room. by doing that, the whole entrance area (right from when you go through the main wooden doors and into the building) already turns into a dancefloor (WITH active sound and not just what you used to be able to hear booming from the main floor speakers far away). so by stepping through the main doors, you are already in the middle of the action and that part, which used to be pretty narrow and sometimes really full, is now much wider and also higher. you still go up 3 stairs at the start and then 3 steps down again to get to the main floor, but it is better now - less stairs than before and the upstairs bit has a higher ceiling than before. it is hard to explain, but when you see it yourself you will agree it feels much less claustrophobic. so the main room as such has become bigger and has a roomier feel.

the entire venue has new floors - brighter colors. the main room has a new roof. remember it used to be like a tent somehow? now it is a proper roof. this improves the sound quality a lot. they still work with a d&b audiotechnik system, but have upped it. I wasn't there long enough tonight and haven't really spent much time on the dancefloor to give an in-depth report about the sound, but I will do that on sunday once I've heard papa sven playing on the system tomorrow night.

the main room has a new and improved lighting system, without being over the top. tonight they had a MASSIVE glitterball in the centre of the room which made a great effect. not sure this is always there, but for tonight it was and I thought it looked great.

then all the bars have new wooden decks, I also know that they have changed almost all of the water pipes etc so a lot of the infrastructural changes are actually things you don't even see at first glance.

all of the toilets have been refurbished and look great.

the VIP hasn't changed much - the only change I could see is the one right above from where you get into the main room. but it is something that won't bother anyone I think since it is hardly visible.

then here is one thing that will get people sad at first: the old funky room is gone. or let's say it has been moved. what used to be pachacha (well they call it still that on some nights) has turned into a really cool small room for about 300 people, with dark wooden floors, sofas in the back etc...I have seen the room just before I left and think it will be a fantastic replacement for the funky room. I actually asked the pacha guys as to why they let go of the funky room and I did understand their reasoning: fact is, in the last few years, very rarely the funky room got really busy anymore - eventhough admittedly EVERYONE loves the room. all the locals, all of the pacha crew. but it is a bit of a corridor nowadays where people walk through to get from the main room to the toilets and that just wasn't good for the flow and vibe in that room. I have to admit that in the past 6 or 7 years I only have seen this room busy a handful of times. and having seen that other room (pachacha) I genuinely believe it has better chances to turn into a really good (and sometimes VERY FUNKY) second room. I wouldn't say it if I didn't think that.

pretty much everyone I spoke to over the last few hours thought the same. pacha have done an amazing job by giving it a retouch. it is still very much pacha as you know it, but they have improved the few bits that had to change. it looks just a bit newer, but it is still the spanish finca. it looks just a bit more tidier, but it still has the pacha charm. the toilets which really needed refurbing are great. it is a lot of small details that got changed, but it is still pacha. it is still very ibiza and not las vegas at all.

more feedback after tomorrow night when we'll have spent a full night in the club, but from what I have seen tonight, my current verdict would be two thumbs up.

right then, I just got home from my first visit to the refurbished pacha.

I knew a lot of the stuff they would change, but as so often, I couldn't really talk about it beforehand. at the same time of course it's not the same when they tell you what they are doing and when you then finally get to see it with your own eyes.

so here goes, this is what they changed and what I feel about it having seen it for the first time tonight.

the biggest change - and actually the only proper structural change they made - is taking away the walls from what used to be the global room. by doing that, the whole entrance area (right from when you go through the main wooden doors and into the building) already turns into a dancefloor (WITH active sound and not just what you used to be able to hear booming from the main floor speakers far away). so by stepping through the main doors, you are already in the middle of the action and that part, which used to be pretty narrow and sometimes really full, is now much wider and also higher. you still go up 3 stairs at the start and then 3 steps down again to get to the main floor, but it is better now - less stairs than before and the upstairs bit has a higher ceiling than before. it is hard to explain, but when you see it yourself you will agree it feels much less claustrophobic. so the main room as such has become bigger and has a roomier feel.

the entire venue has new floors - brighter colors. the main room has a new roof. remember it used to be like a tent somehow? now it is a proper roof. this improves the sound quality a lot. they still work with a d&b audiotechnik system, but have upped it. I wasn't there long enough tonight and haven't really spent much time on the dancefloor to give an in-depth report about the sound, but I will do that on sunday once I've heard papa sven playing on the system tomorrow night.

the main room has a new and improved lighting system, without being over the top. tonight they had a MASSIVE glitterball in the centre of the room which made a great effect. not sure this is always there, but for tonight it was and I thought it looked great.

then all the bars have new wooden decks, I also know that they have changed almost all of the water pipes etc so a lot of the infrastructural changes are actually things you don't even see at first glance.

all of the toilets have been refurbished and look great.

the VIP hasn't changed much - the only change I could see is the one right above from where you get into the main room. but it is something that won't bother anyone I think since it is hardly visible.

then here is one thing that will get people sad at first: the old funky room is gone. or let's say it has been moved. what used to be pachacha (well they call it still that on some nights) has turned into a really cool small room for about 300 people, with dark wooden floors, sofas in the back etc...I have seen the room just before I left and think it will be a fantastic replacement for the funky room. I actually asked the pacha guys as to why they let go of the funky room and I did understand their reasoning: fact is, in the last few years, very rarely the funky room got really busy anymore - eventhough admittedly EVERYONE loves the room. all the locals, all of the pacha crew. but it is a bit of a corridor nowadays where people walk through to get from the main room to the toilets and that just wasn't good for the flow and vibe in that room. I have to admit that in the past 6 or 7 years I only have seen this room busy a handful of times. and having seen that other room (pachacha) I genuinely believe it has better chances to turn into a really good (and sometimes VERY FUNKY) second room. I wouldn't say it if I didn't think that.

pretty much everyone I spoke to over the last few hours thought the same. pacha have done an amazing job by giving it a retouch. it is still very much pacha as you know it, but they have improved the few bits that had to change. it looks just a bit newer, but it is still the spanish finca. it looks just a bit more tidier, but it still has the pacha charm. the toilets which really needed refurbing are great. it is a lot of small details that got changed, but it is still pacha. it is still very ibiza and not las vegas at all.

more feedback after tomorrow night when we'll have spent a full night in the club, but from what I have seen tonight, my current verdict would be two thumbs up.
Thanks Stivi, I like it from the look of the video

Nice video on FB.

It looks a lot more whiter and nicer than before. I do like how they got rid of the Global Room and opened it up a lot to make it almost part of the main dance floor. I still think ppl will try to head down tho but it wont be a disaster if you're up there. I like how there's more than one set of stairs to get to the main floor from that area.

The little touches like illuminated stairs are really nice. It seems really beautiful overall, I like how it's opened up more now. They did a good job!

Nice video on FB.

It looks a lot more whiter and nicer than before. I do like how they got rid of the Global Room and opened it up a lot to make it almost part of the main dance floor. I still think ppl will try to head down tho but it wont be a disaster if you're up there. I like how there's more than one set of stairs to get to the main floor from that area.

The little touches like illuminated stairs are really nice. It seems really beautiful overall, I like how it's opened up more now. They did a good job!

Yeah still looks like the space that was the global room will still feel a bit removed from the party, but better than what it was.

After seeing some vids on IG, I do wish they moved the DJ booth back a bit.....there is just sooo much room behind the booth for VIP

I do wish they moved the DJ booth back a bit.....there is just sooo much room behind the booth for VIP

End of the day the ‘real party’ is from the moment you walk in.... right up to the DJ booth. If people want to pay to watch me dance and see the back of Svens bald head.... then that’s fine... it’s reduced the door tax this year.... so we all winners. And it’s even better as on the new dancefloor you’ll not even see them much anyway as that big booth hides them

Very impressed with the new layout of Pacha.

The whole club was open to everyone last night, so it was good to be able to get a good view of the club from a lot of different spots, and while I’d never be the kind to go VIP, I do kind of see what those who are that way inclined would do so, but I’ll always rather be in the mix, on the floor. The VIP bods are pretty well hidden from view when on the floor infront of the booth, it just looks like a natural part of the club.

The entrance area once beyond the cloak room and what was global room is now much better, it’s like a second dance floor and the sound is not compromised. The stairs down to the dancefloor are still there and the location of the booth works very well.

The decor is very well done and it still retains it’s “Pacha” feel. Basic but classy, with good use of lighting to accentuate some walls and the barriers etc. The club appears quite a bigger than it was due to the high roof and the removal of some walls. The lighting rig, as big as it is above the DJ booth and VIP adds to that as it has the ability to move up and down, again adding to the size illiusion.

Drinks were no more expensive than I can remember. Vodka Limon €15, water €8.

Most of the doorways and corridors that I remember still seem to be in place.

Sound wise, it sounded great. I didn’t find any areas which were flat or missing something, no distortion which was sometimes found at a few places on the old dancefloor.

Stayed longer than I should or intended to, left around 5:50 when HS82 seemed to be winding it down, last tune I heard was Âme - Rej which was a nice end to the night. Musically it wasn’t exactly what I’m into but had a good time anyway. Bring on Väth tonight!

The reports about the improved decor and space are all good, but the reports that make me most happy are the ones about the sound!

Reports of the sound hitting you enter that main room and staying with you throughout are exactly what they needed to do. I always loved the old sound system but it gave good coverage to about 50 people on the dancefloor!

End of the day the ‘real party’ is from the moment you walk in.... right up to the DJ booth. If people want to pay to watch me dance and see the back of Svens bald head.... then that’s fine... it’s reduced the door tax this year.... so we all winners. And it’s even better as on the new dancefloor you’ll not even see them much anyway as that big booth hides them

Yeah I don’t mind having VIP, but they had an opportunity to expand the dance floor in exchange for the fields of VIP space behind the booth, and they didn’t. Mistake on their part imo. We’ll see if the opened global room makes up for it...

Back