New year New me

Mate this is the exact opposite of what you need to be doing.
I'm interested in your opinion about it. :)

I think that the smartest thing is to leave it the F alone because after all it's your only nervous system. And it's a big nerve! I feel in the left side of my back a little sometimes now even when there is no flare up.

I haven't had a flare up in maybe a year or a little more. Maybe two years now actually. But I have to watch what I carry and all that stuff.

I think that the smartest thing is to leave it the F alone because after all it's your only nervous system. And it's a big nerve! I feel in the left side of my back a little sometimes now even when there is no flare up.

I haven't had a flare up in maybe a year or a little more. Maybe two years now actually. But I have to watch what I carry and all that stuff.

I am with @soho on this
I suffer from a genetically weak lower back and it has given me a lot of problems of past and has been there since my teens. Once I got into the gym 7 years ago I managed to hurt it one too many times from pushing myself which would leave me in pain for a week or two following. I then decided to avoid anything that would put my lower back under too much stress such as dead lifts or squats

However the last couple of years I have been working on strengthening my lower back. I have been slowly building up strength on it by doing light weight rack pulls. In my honest opinion it has made a world of difference to every day life I find my core is so much stronger. I would add that what is also important and over looked is stretching or foam rolling.

Just play the long game stick to a weight you don't hurt yourself with and keep to it. No need to push yourself

Similar goals to most people here -

1) Fix up my training, been doing it for 9 years or so now and last year was the first year that I actually felt like I went backwards, mostly due to a lack of routine in place and overindulging in other areas.

2) Sobriety for a bit, I overdid it in 2019 so the goal is 6 months or so of clean living to give my body & mind a break.

I hate being dependent on it - or the belief that I'm dependent on it. First few days without it I crashed and had headaches until lunchtime, but after that it's amazing how much better I felt. I don't have any trouble sleeping, but I wake up feeling a lot more refreshed off caffeine.

I did a similar detox last year and ironically got insomnia from it, was probably having around half a gram of caffeine in supplements/coffee to feel 'normal' so I was pretty high up on the dependance scale. Felt like a grumpy tired zombie for a few weeks but I'm good with just one coffee in the morning now, general rule of thumb is avoid caffeine after mid-day and it shouldn't cause too many issues.

Without knowing too much about your specific issue here's my thoughts -

It's worth seeing a sports physio if you haven't already and getting a routine prescribed to strengthen the area after a thorough assessment. Nerve issues can respond well and even disappear by just getting stronger. Although it may not cause issues now, by doing nothing it will likely get worse in 10-30 years time and cause more serious issues/imbalances to arise. Any muscular weakness will be compensated elsewhere and this gradually builds up over time creating asymmetrical movement patterns which are much harder to fix than if you're pro-active about it and prevent it happening.

Lower back problems are a pain in the arse to fix but they eventually stem into hip/glute issues and sciatica if ignored, @soha is on the money saying the worst thing you can do here is nothing at all.

It's not good practice to give medical advice online without assessment, and back is not my field. So I would seek advice from a local physio if its still troubling you.
You seem to have some degree of kinesiophobia, which will only make chronic pain worse. Pain is complex, especially back pain.
But on a basic level the following poster from recent bjsm journal is very good advice.
Screenshot_20200123-111013_Instagram.jpg

Last edited:
2019 lost a family member and it took slog out of us ,
Business was affected , my goal this year is to have a pa manager to look after our business so less stress on me and the wife .

Not to get on it all weekend Tuesday Thursday and start again Friday .

Use our boat every week

Get my son into sport , any sport !!

Stop going out all the time , this year I actually started staying in and watching a bit of telly ,, so nice to be at home .,,

Probably just do circo every week ,, the rest is shit

An important year for me, I hope a professional retraining.
If I graduate, I leave the life of a truck driver to become an aircraft refueler.
Which would mean no vacation in Ibiza this summer, but the challenge is worth it.
In terms of salary, I would move into another dimension ...

An important year for me, I hope a professional retraining.
If I graduate, I leave the life of a truck driver to become an aircraft refueler.
Which would mean no vacation in Ibiza this summer, but the challenge is worth it.
In terms of salary, I would move into another dimension ...

Best of luck to you mate ? ?

The motivation sounds good, so I’m sure you’ll work hard to make it happen.

My current job sees me refuelling helicopters occasionally in remote areas. The smell of JetA1 aviation fuel is horrendous, I hate it with a passion.

I take my hat off to any man that does it full time for a living.

2019 lost a family member and it took slog out of us

Get my son into sport , any sport !!

Sorry for your loss mate ?

Getting kids into sport can be a real challenge sometimes. What sort of age is he?

My eldest at 14 has been competing in gymnastics since she was 7, and loves it. Pretty disciplined regime and she always comes home knackered, which is a bonus.

My youngest, just turned 8,literally cannot seam to get interested in anything longer than a few weeks. If running your mouth was a sport she’d be a champ already ? she’s still probably a bit young and will find her way into something she likes soon I guess. I don’t really want to force her in to anything.

Sorry for your loss mate ?

Getting kids into sport can be a real challenge sometimes. What sort of age is he?

My eldest at 14 has been competing in gymnastics since she was 7, and loves it. Pretty disciplined regime and she always comes home knackered, which is a bonus.
Our 13 is in gymnastics about 5 yrs loves it but hasn't that competitiveness in her, a bit to laid back. Her mam done it since age 8 and was on Irish team in her teens...?

I started One Year No Beer in November and today is day 80. Coupled with taking up running, it's been transformative in terms of health and lifestyle. I foresee a one day pass on 19th September, the night of my all day Vets footy tournament in Portugal, but other than that I intend to do the full 365...

Best of luck to you mate ? ?

The motivation sounds good, so I’m sure you’ll work hard to make it happen.

My current job sees me refuelling helicopters occasionally in remote areas. The smell of JetA1 aviation fuel is horrendous, I hate it with a passion.

I take my hat off to any man that does it full time for a living.
No more vapors with the new trailers and loading system....at least with big airplanes, I have no idea what is about with helicopters

Back