New year New me

My Mrs stopped eating meat when she was 13 and was an exchange student in Spain. While been driven to the Spanish familys house who she stayed with few times before and their kids came and stayed here with her parents the dad hit a goat with the van. Got out chucked him in the back and the family and friends are that goat for days..lol.. put her off meat for years... But she wonld try different things just to see what it tastes like.. it's the chewing she didn't like.. she's been taking really good codliver oil for years and loves really good Spanish hams ( the meat not the blokes).. and few times a year she would eat very rare steak.. she feels the body needs these things.. and only eats all types of shellfish... She sure is one in a million ?

The other problem I've discovered with both plant-based & vegan (not sure what all the differences are between those two...) is with vitamin B12, which is needed by the brain and other parts of the body.

Vitamin B12 has many roles in your body. It supports the normal function of your nerve cells and is needed for red blood cell formation and DNA synthesis. ... Vitamin B12 may benefit your body in impressive ways, such as by boosting your energy, improving your memory and helping prevent heart disease.

I read an article/got in a brief panic about B12 in the newspaper; well my dad pointed it out to me. I actually don't subscribe.... But anyway. It said B12 deficiency is super common with vegans because B12 doesn't occur in plants; it's only from animals! :oops: So, I hopped on the online patient portal for my primary care physician and shot off a message right away. After some time, I called their office instead and told her assistant that I wanted to chat about my B12 because I had switched to the plant-based eating as recommended by the doc. After that I discovered that the multi-vitamin I've been taking for years already has B12 in it. Nothing to worry about I guess. Multi-vitamin to the rescue! :)

In California all these fad diets places are on every corner.easy to eat every day. Expensive I'd say but you will still be starving.. we need animal fats in our bodies people... Have you ever met a happy looking person who's been Vegan for a good few years..

There is a lot of truth in this.

I got smashed through this course in my early 20's. All Arms P Company (can verify it if anyone thinks I'm a Walter Mitty).

My metabolism is faster than a housewife with some juicy gossip. On top of my 3 meals a day I'd be smashing protein shakes, flapjacks, chocolate, sandwiches, haribo and anything else I could eat from my pockets. Followed up every evening with an extra meal from MacDonalds in Catterick. After a good few weeks of intense physical punishment I literally needed every single calorie and every kind of carb, protein and fat I could get down my neck. (and pink smarties - if you know you know)

There were quite a lot of lads on the course that were big gym heads, and really into the vanity ripped and big muscles look. No real problem as this should give you a good advantage going into the course. They were fit lads as well, you had to pass a certain criteria to get onto the course (running an 8min 30 secs mile and half being one of them)

However quite a lot of them still religiously stuck to their lean diets. Really strict eating habits and well inside a calorie deficit. Stuff that is akin to the way vegans go about feeding themselves. Barely enough to sustain normal everyday activities, nevermind arduous training.

Inside the first week and after some heavy days of long mileage carrying kit they started burning out really quick, to a totally fatigued state. Beyond help. Some even coming down with flu like symptoms. Failed and RTU (returned to unit).

I was pretty shocked but the directing staff said they see it every course. People setting themselves up to fail through poor diet choice.

Back when I was running - in my twenties - I would run at 7 miles per hour; I know because that's how fast the treadmill was going... :cool:
And that puts me at only 1 mile in 8:30 - forget that half! Lol! :)

Pace table

Was with you till you said treadmill ?

Get out on the open roads chief, can’t beat it! Fresh air, great scenery, sense of distance covered, crazy snarling dogs chasing you and heart beating through your chest!

What’s not to like ?‍♂️?

In California all these fad diets places are on every corner.easy to eat every day. Expensive I'd say but you will still be starving.. we need animal fats in our bodies people... Have you ever met a happy looking person who's been Vegan for a good few years..
It's a fad diet for those who aren't prepared to go all in. When 100 percent committed it's a lifestyle to thrive on. Definitely not expensive, opens one up to a whole new world/way of eating.

The other problem I've discovered with both plant-based & vegan (not sure what all the differences are between those two...) is with vitamin B12, which is needed by the brain and other parts of the body.

I read an article/got in a brief panic about B12 in the newspaper; well my dad pointed it out to me. I actually don't subscribe.... But anyway. It said B12 deficiency is super common with vegans because B12 doesn't occur in plants; it's only from animals! :oops: So, I hopped on the online patient portal for my primary care physician and shot off a message right away. After some time, I called their office instead and told her assistant that I wanted to chat about my B12 because I had switched to the plant-based eating as recommended by the doc. After that I discovered that the multi-vitamin I've been taking for years already has B12 in it. Nothing to worry about I guess. Multi-vitamin to the rescue! :)
B12 Comes from the bacteria in the soil that the animals eat. Factory farmed animals are often given B12 supplements themselves these days. This is due to the fact they'll probably never see grass again for the rest of their lives after a certain point. It takes humans very long to become even close to being deficient in the vitamin. Supplement it with 1 tablet a week and that's all bases covered. There is plenty of vegan B12 food sources too (plant milks, faux meats, nutritional yeast etc.)

Last edited:
The other problem I've discovered with both plant-based & vegan (not sure what all the differences are between those two...)
Plant based refers strictly to diet. The term vegan revolves around ethics and the decision not to use any animal byproducts altogther (which stretches to not wearing leather clothing or using products tested on animals etc). Although, if someone says they're eating a vegan diet, that says more about what they don't eat. As just simply eating vegan foods doesn't make it healthy. That's where it's better to refer the diet as a whole foods plant based one (provided that's what one is eating).

There is a lot of truth in this.

I got smashed through this course in my early 20's. All Arms P Company (can verify it if anyone thinks I'm a Walter Mitty).

My metabolism is fa
It's a fad diet for those who aren't prepared to go all in. When 100 percent committed it's a lifestyle to thrive on. Definitely not expensive, opens one up to a whole new world/way of eating.
True 100% committed is a lifestyle. Easier done the older you are I'm sure...are those wholefood stores expensive like the farmers markets that pop up in cities every weekend...were lucky where we live that we can shop for good local produce without going to big supermarkets...

True 100% committed is a lifestyle. Easier done the older you are I'm sure...are those wholefood stores expensive like the farmers markets that pop up in cities every weekend...were lucky where we live that we can shop for good local produce without going to big supermarkets...
For good quality farmed produce you'll be expected to pay that bit extra anyway. With wholefoods it's as simple as fresh fruit and vegtables, grains, legumes, nuts & seeds. It can be as expensive as one wants to make it, but the stuff you'll find in any decent supermarket will suffice.

B12 Comes from the bacteria in the soil that the animals eat. Factory farmed animals are often given B12 supplements themselves these days. This is due to the fact they'll probably never see grass again for the rest of their lives after a certain point. It takes humans very long to become even close to being deficient in the vitamin. Supplement it with 1 tablet a week and that's all bases covered. There is plenty of vegan B12 food sources too (plant milks, faux meats, nutritional yeast etc.)
I heard about the nutritional yeast...

I want to check with my doctor since some of the potential complications are very serious. This is the first time I'm hearing that it takes very long to amass negative symptoms as well. But yeah... it's in the multivitamin! :D

How about organic and artisan ? Do you think it's an excuse just to up the price of stuff..
With organic stuff it really depends. When it comes to meat and dairy, it's probably your best bet to shop organic as any type of further processing when it comes to these types of foods compromise them signifcantly. With artisan, people are paying that bit extra for the service aswell the quality. Getting to speak to the food experts about their produce in detail etc.

They have actually now found significant amounts of B12 in a plant called water lentils. So could be consumed as a whole food in the future.

love your determination, but 5am is damn early!!

It’s a very good way of kick starting your metabolism, after your bodies natural overnight fasting period.

I used to do a 45 minute road work session before breakfast, with only a cup of black coffee as a pre workout. Really worked for me and shredded the fat right back.

Obviously was a bit of a struggle getting up and motivated some days ?

Back